Jump to content

cruzer1

2019 NFL Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Is this the thread where people talk about Lions football?

Anyway, I have seen a few people mock Devin White from LSU to Detroit. My first thought is, doesn't he play the same position as Jarrad Davis? My second thought is, the team is now largely based on 3-4 alignment. My third thought is that the draftniks seem really high on White, especially on his ability in coverage.

I've never seen him play. Does anybody have a read on him?

Pride of Detroit: Devin White Draft Profile

Draft Geek: Devin White Film

Brett Kollman Film Breakdown

From what I have read and what little I saw form the few LSU games I watched the guy seems like an athletic freak first and foremost. He has great speed and athleticism to close in on a runner or receiver in the flat or towards the sideline. He is also strong and can knock guys off of their feet with a hard hit. He has coverage some ability but was not really asked to do a lot of coverage at LSU. Though the film breakdown I watched on him made it seem as if he could cover.

The knocks on him seem to be that he is new to the linebacker position as he was initially recruited to LSU to play running back and lacks a defenders instincts at times. He also has a bad habit of taking the wrong angle and over pursuing and thus blowing right by the guy he's supposed to tackle or getting clogged up with a lineman or behind his own defensive lineman. The other wrap on him is that he is an average/good but not great tackler and often wraps guys up high at the shoulders and ends up with a fair amount of missed and/or broken tackles.

I think White has a lot of flaws that you can teach, like pursuit angle and tackling technique. I do agree with you in that we do have Jarrad Davis playing essentially the same position. I think you'll get a faster, more athletic, harder hitting, better coverage guy in White than Davis. White would be in my personal top 5-10 guys I would draft. In terms of guys we can realistically expect to be there at #8 (not Allen or Bosa) I would put Clelin Ferrell, Montez Sweat, Greedy Williams, Byron Murphy, Quinnen Williams, and Ed Oliver ahead of White. I would certainly put White ahead of Hockenson though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Buddha said:

i would be very surprised if they took white, unless they just want speed at linebacker.

Cruzer approves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who else is excited for the combine? Are we just monitoring 40 times for our friend Cruzer? Will we find that diamond in the rough CB who runs a 4.7 to draft this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Draft Network is a great site that launched this year and they have an awesome mock draft simulator where you can pick for your team.    

Here’s my first shot with a nod to @Mr.TaterSalad

 

99FA8956-1C9E-4986-9C01-9484D23324F7.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so this one may have actually been my first real shot at a Lions draft that I’d be happy with 

 

 

8097ED01-8DDC-4758-9915-F33804B66B44.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2019 at 8:03 PM, Hongbit said:

The Draft Network is a great site that launched this year and they have an awesome mock draft simulator where you can pick for your team.    

Here’s my first shot with a nod to @Mr.TaterSalad

 

99FA8956-1C9E-4986-9C01-9484D23324F7.png

I LOVE MOCK DRAFTS, reading them, doing my own, listening to Karch & Anderson break them on 97.1. As for this particular draft I don't like it, I would have taken Hockenson in the 2nd and Brandon Fritts in the 1st.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob Quinn at the combine talking about the need to draft versatile players. Code word . . . We want guys that fit our scheme but are a jack of no trades and stink at everything, get cut, go to New England, start and succeed, and we'll be back to drafting versatile players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob Quinn seems accepting of the idea that they could both cut Marvin Jones and then draft a TE (Hockenson). What is the road map for getting better if you draft Hockenson? What does Hockenson give you on your road to being a better team over drafting a Sweat or Ferrell or Greedy Williams or Quinnen Williams or Ed Oliver?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Bob Quinn seems accepting of the idea that they could both cut Marvin Jones and then draft a TE (Hockenson). What is the road map for getting better if you draft Hockenson? What does Hockenson give you on your road to being a better team over drafting a Sweat or Ferrell or Greedy Williams or Quinnen Williams or Ed Oliver?

Hoping beyond all hope that's his version of a smoke screen... going along with "scuttlebutt"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Future Lions Tight End and 1st Round bust TJ Hockenson ran a 4.7 at the combine.

 

LOL the Lions TE Coach is running the drills at the combine for TE. FML we really are drafting Hockenson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hockenwho?  

The Lions chances of taking an Iowa TE in the 1st just doubled  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were one of the worst teams at pressuring the QB and creating a tight, hurried pocket but forget that, Tight End is our greatest need. Looks like another 60+ years of a Super Bowl drought, all because we took a Tight End in the 1st round of the 2019 draft. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been really lazy today sitting on the couch and watching the combine. I can tell you that Fant and Hockenson are still waaaaaay down on my list of players I would pick at #8 even after watching them have solid combine performances.

I just can give the TE position a high enough valuation to warrant picking a guy like Fant or Hockenson over a Farrell, Sweat, White, Lawrence, or either of the Williams (Q or Greedy). Add onto that the class of TE prospects appears to be pretty deep. Deep enough that I feel comfortable waiting until the 2nd round to grab a player. I'll never be talked into picking a TE and I'm sure I will hate on it plenty when it does happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about this guy at 8 (assuming half season Marv is traded or released if they did)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

What about this guy at 8 (assuming half season Marv is traded or released if they did)

 

While I personally believe that we need more offensive firepower (ie weapons) I am not prepared to invest in an offensive player in the 1st round with Stafford as our QB. It's no secret that I am ready to move on from Stafford and as such, don't want to waste anymore time giving him 1st round talents to work with. The only offensive players I would consider taking in the 1st at #8 are Kyler Murrary and Dwayne Haskins, both QBs. As it is now though, I would go defense in 1st this year and then (assuming his career doesn't rebound) move on from Stafford next year and go after a QB next year or wait an additional year for Trevor Lawrence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

While I personally believe that we need more offensive firepower (ie weapons) I am not prepared to invest in an offensive player in the 1st round with Stafford as our QB. It's no secret that I am ready to move on from Stafford and as such, don't want to waste anymore time giving him 1st round talents to work with. The only offensive players I would consider taking in the 1st at #8 are Kyler Murrary and Dwayne Haskins, both QBs. As it is now though, I would go defense in 1st this year and then (assuming his career doesn't rebound) move on from Stafford next year and go after a QB next year or wait an additional year for Trevor Lawrence.

You are spot on. But, this IS the Lions and a lost GM. The need for DL is so obvious it is absurd there is even mention of a frikin TE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Montez Sweat, DE/Miss.State, just ran a 4.42 at the combine. For a DE that's insane! I don't think I would have any trouble with Quinn drafting Sweat at #8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of draft gurus with no inside knowledge of the Lions draft plans mock a TE to Detroit and Tater goes off the deep end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

A couple of draft gurus with no inside knowledge of the Lions draft plans mock a TE to Detroit and Tater goes off the deep end. 

Bob Quinn himself has seemed receptive to the idea, so it goes beyond just a Mel Kiper mock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Bob Quinn himself has seemed receptive to the idea, so it goes beyond just a Mel Kiper mock.

Why would he not be receptive? What benefit does it serve to tell everybody the Lions aren't going to draft Hockenson? If Hockenson is the next Gronkowski, would you not draft him? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Montez Sweat, DE/Miss.State, just ran a 4.42 at the combine. For a DE that's insane! I don't think I would have any trouble with Quinn drafting Sweat at #8.

Report I read said 4.41 -- faster than all but one of the running backs at the combine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At slot, I think Andy Isabella would be a perfect fit.  A lot of the TE's impressed, especially the two Iowa and one from Alabama.  Gary ran a freakish 40 for his size, and he or Sweat would fit in nice on the DL.  Josh Allen did not test as well as anticipated, and I think his stock will fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Why would he not be receptive? What benefit does it serve to tell everybody the Lions aren't going to draft Hockenson? If Hockenson is the next Gronkowski, would you not draft him? 

Look, the draft can be a crap shoot with any player at any position. But the odds of Hockenson being the next Gronkowski versus the odds of guys like Allen, Ferrell, Sweat, Burns, being able to being able to get consistent pressure on the QB and average 10-12+ sacks per season are less IMO. When I look at Hockenson I see as much or more of a Tyler Eifert type player than I do Gronk (I get it, I'm not a coach/scout/GM/expert). As much as this team lacked production from the TE position, I think it is more important that they find a way to get more, consistent pressure on the opposing QB.

If I had every confidence that Matt Stafford was my guy going forward at QB, I might be more receptive to a TE at #8, but I don't have that confidence that he is. In-fact, I believe this may well be his final season quarterbacking this team. You could look to a team like the Chiefs who had a terrible defense but was carried by incredible offensive production as a way to justify taking Hockenson, if you believe he'll be the Travis Kelce of this offense. Stafford is no Mahomes at this point and I'm not so sure that Hockenson isn't just another Tyler Eifert.

Furthermore, on Hockenson in general, I'd like to get answers to a few questions. Why was Noah Fant graded over him on the Iowa depth chart and why did Big Ten Coaches make Fant the All Big Ten TE over hm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Look, the draft can be a crap shoot with any player at any position. But the odds of Hockenson being the next Gronkowski versus the odds of guys like Allen, Ferrell, Sweat, Burns, being able to being able to get consistent pressure on the QB and average 10-12+ sacks per season are less IMO. When I look at Hockenson I see as much or more of a Tyler Eifert type player than I do Gronk (I get it, I'm not a coach/scout/GM/expert). As much as this team lacked production from the TE position, I think it is more important that they find a way to get more, consistent pressure on the opposing QB.

If I had every confidence that Matt Stafford was my guy going forward at QB, I might be more receptive to a TE at #8, but I don't have that confidence that he is. In-fact, I believe this may well be his final season quarterbacking this team. You could look to a team like the Chiefs who had a terrible defense but was carried by incredible offensive production as a way to justify taking Hockenson, if you believe he'll be the Travis Kelce of this offense. Stafford is no Mahomes at this point and I'm not so sure that Hockenson isn't just another Tyler Eifert.

Furthermore, on Hockenson in general, I'd like to get answers to a few questions. Why was Noah Fant graded over him on the Iowa depth chart and why did Big Ten Coaches make Fant the All Big Ten TE over hm?

Frankly, this is some of the dumbest logic I have heard. If you think you have a weak QB, it seems all the more reason to surround him with better players. Purposely neglecting the offense because you think your QB is weak is bizarre. If this is Stafford's last season, you are now going to draft a young QB and throw him into a offense with no playmakers because you wanted to spite your previous QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,710
    • Total Posts
      2,929,589
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...