cruzer1

2019 NFL Draft Thread

At least we didn't take busts like Ed Oliver (5 sacks, 28 tackles), Montez Sweat (5 sacks and 38 tackles) and Brian Burns (5.5 sacks and 20 tackles). Pffffff those guys stink. Besides who needs a pass rush when you have a stud Tight End?

33 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

At least we didn't take busts like Ed Oliver (5 sacks, 28 tackles), Montez Sweat (5 sacks and 38 tackles) and Brian Burns (5.5 sacks and 20 tackles). Pffffff those guys stink. Besides who needs a pass rush when you have a stud Tight End?

Come on!  We needed to sign Trey Flowers to a monster contract.  Who needs an exceptional pass rusher when you can have an average pass rusher who is solid against the run!  Because you know how important it is in 2019 NFL to have your right defensive end defend the run with all the teams running the ball all the time!

I know a lot of people don't like the Hock pick but Tight Ends never do well in their rookie season so it's way too early to judge. Here are some examples...

Tight End #1: 33 Receptions, 368 yards, 2 TDs

Tight End #2: 24 Receptions, 389 Yards, 2 TDs

Tight End #3: 42 Receptions, 546 Yards, did have 10 TDs though

Those three players are none other than Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates and Rob Gronkowski. In other words, give Hock more time. When he was healthy earlier in the season, he showed a high end ability to get open and run after the catch. He dropped a few key passes which was disappointing and too many penalties as a blocker but I see a lot of upside with him. I expect him to be more prominent in the offense next season.

23 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t think most people dislike the player.  They dislike the draft position. 

This. People look at where all of the good/elite TE's are drafted and rarely do they see them being taken in the 1st round, much less the top 10. Of the players NY mentioned, only Tony Gonzalez was a 1st round pick. Gates was a UDFA and Gronk was a 2nd round pick. If Hockenson falters next season the knives are going to be out for him, a just as they were for Ebron and Pettigrew. I want Hockenson to succeed and be Gonzalez 2.0, but I have a hard time seeing him as that player. Who knows, hopefully TJ makes a fool out of me and others who hated the pick from day one.

I know. I'm just giving a little perspective for those who are down on the pick right now. We'll know a lot more about Hock after next year.

58 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This. People look at where all of the good/elite TE's are drafted and rarely do they see them being taken in the 1st round, much less the top 10. Of the players NY mentioned, only Tony Gonzalez was a 1st round pick. Gates was a UDFA and Gronk was a 2nd round pick. If Hockenson falters next season the knives are going to be out for him, a just as they were for Ebron and Pettigrew. I want Hockenson to succeed and be Gonzalez 2.0, but I have a hard time seeing him as that player. Who knows, hopefully TJ makes a fool out of me and others who hated the pick from day one.

A quality TE needs an OC who designs plays for him as a first option. Having your TE as a check down on every play isn't the way to use him, if he's a quality player. Look at Enron's receiving numbers his first year in Indy, he was a quality TE because they called his number as a #1 option. Hopefully, our new OC will incorporate a TE in his game plan.

46 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

A quality TE needs an OC who designs plays for him as a first option. Having your TE as a check down on every play isn't the way to use him, if he's a quality player. Look at Enron's receiving numbers his first year in Indy, he was a quality TE because they called his number as a #1 option. Hopefully, our new OC will incorporate a TE in his game plan.

I have more faith that Bevell will use him accordingly than I did with JBC using Ebron. Bevell seems like a competent OC who can design and call the right plays to fit the personnel he has. Bevell is a proven OC from his time in Minnesota and Seattle. My question is not will Bevell use Hockenson correctly, but rather, is Hockenson as good as good as advertised.