cruzer1

2019 NFL Draft Thread

20 hours ago, Buddha said:

johnson reminds me of dwayne washington.

First thing I thought of, though at the same time you swing on enough of those guys you probably hit eventually. 

Drafting a guy like Johnson is better than taking a Long Snapper, so I won't complain at the end of the day there.

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

First thing I thought of, though at the same time you swing on enough of those guys you probably hit eventually. 

i didnt like the pick at the time because i didnt know who he was, but im fine with taking a shot in round 6 on a guy with that kind of speed just to see if you can make him a kick returner or something.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 12:42 PM, Buddha said:

johnson reminds me of dwayne washington.

In what way besides speed? Profile, skill set completely different

4 hours ago, Longgone said:

In what way besides speed? Profile, skill set completely different

late round pick who was taken for his ability to run really fast in a straight line but has issue doing the other things that running backs need to do.

• Like 1

RB battle will be interesting. As much as the fanbase gives Theo no respect, the numbers suggest pass catching RBs are valuable. I'm guessing they have significant plans for him, as he is a very specific style of player, his cap hit is significant and we have a new OC. We won't know for sure unless he makes it out of camp though of course. I've always said he can do anything James White can. 

I'm guessing if everyone is healthy, Zenner doesn't make it, Bawden and Johnson do and Johnson is the opening day KR. 

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

RB battle will be interesting. As much as the fanbase gives Theo no respect, the numbers suggest pass catching RBs are valuable. I'm guessing they have significant plans for him, as he is a very specific style of player, his cap hit is significant and we have a new OC. We won't know for sure unless he makes it out of camp though of course. I've always said he can do anything James White can. 

I'm guessing if everyone is healthy, Zenner doesn't make it, Bawden and Johnson do and Johnson is the opening day KR. 

I think the opposite, on Theo at least... I'm thinking Reddick gets moved during training camp for a 2020 6th or something. I tend to believe Zenner has a chance at making the 53 than Theo, as odd as that sounds. I agree on Johnson as opening day KR and Bawden making the 53.

PS: I think there will be some house cleaning in TC, in addition to Reddick. I'm guessing Roberts will be moving on from as well. Don't know if someone is willing to take a flyer on him or if he's even worth a draft pick - who needs a bust-TE that badly, even for a 7th? - but I think there will be at least a few surprise names that we move on from this year.

i dont mind theo as a 3rd down receiver back, but if they need the money to sign someone else's salary cup cut, then the $4 million or so they'd get from cutting theo is probably too enticing to keep him.

but im told they have a fair amount of space left so maybe they dont need to cut him?

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

i dont mind theo as a 3rd down receiver back, but if they need the money to sign someone else's salary cup cut, then the $4 million or so they'd get from cutting theo is probably too enticing to keep him.

but im told they have a fair amount of space left so maybe they dont need to cut him?

I don't think they really need that from a cap space perspective... But if they have someone that can replicate that, even if at a lower level, and can also add other abilities... then they can still make a decision for the future. It feels like they're ready to move on from Theo, as he's never become more full-rounded (shown the ability to be an effective runner...). He's their best pass-protector, so there's that.

He's averaged 60 catches and 440 yards and 3 TD's as a receiver the past 5 years. If you find a replacement for that production, who can offer other skills, and you've decided you're not going to re-sign him as a FA, and someone offers a draft pick... it may be time to move on.

Other bubble players are subjected to the team bringing in younger/ better fits/ stronger or more-well-rounded skillsets/ and making the move. I think Theo has gotten to that point. He has a specific skill-set, which is very good. But I think his limitations are going to cause a move to be made.

That's what it feels like, to me at least.

I would be surprised if they make a decision about keeping Riddick on the roster before the end of training camp. 

They will likely give Ty Johnson a chance to win the role, though a knock on him was that he did not offer much on third down at Maryland. 

They will also field offers for Riddick to see what they can get, and watch for opportunities for picking up an upgrade at LG, before making the call at the last minute. 

I think they'll keep Johnson over Zenner.  I think they need his speed on the offense, and as a returner.  This will allow Agnew to just return punts,  along with his corner responsibilities.

• Like 1

and if they cut zenner they can always bring him back if it doesnt work out because no one else is going sign him.