Jump to content

cruzer1

2019 NFL Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

On 12/27/2018 at 1:36 PM, Buddha said:

this might be an unpopular opinion around here, but i think the lions are a few savvy moves away from being a dark horse contending team next year.

i know, i know.  crazy talk.  but...

1) its the nfl.  most teams are really close.  luck and injuries and turnovers mean so much.  see bears, chicago.

2) they fixed a big part of the defense with harrison, hand, and robinson.  their d line has done a great job after harrison came over.  what they need most of all is a pass rusher.

3) draft a pass rusher in the top 5, pick up a fast as **** wr or a pass catching te in round 2, snab a safety or cover lb in round 3, then take some bpas the rest of the draft.  sign a good second corner...

if kerryon can stay healthy, they can get a wr who can get open, and a top 5 pick who can murder the passer and the lions might be on to something next year.

#idiotfanisme

I think this is perfectly reasonable and people that don't think this don't understand just how volatile the NFL is.   The Lions finished in the bottom 3rd in turnover margin and  QBR to go along with being 1-4 in games decided by a TD or less.    The year prior they were in the top tier in all of them.   

Those 3 things are the most important things and two of which have shown they don't correlate very well year to year.    Next year the Lions very easily could be in the top 10 in those departments like they were in 2017 and things could look totally different.   Unless the Stafford we got this year is what he is going to be for now on(I don't think so but I admit there is a possibility) there's no reason to think that they couldn't be a playoff team next year particularly if they have a strong offseason.  Again it's only a 16 game season where most teams are decided by a possession or less, a lot of different things can happen with variables like that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I wonder if there has ever been an example in the NFL of a TV analyst becoming a GM? Hmmmmmmmmm . . . This has disaster written all over it.

It wasn't the NFL and it wasn't as high up as GM but Kevin Goldstein was a writer, scout and stats guy for baseball prospectus and was hired in I believe 2013 to be a special assistant to the GM of the Astros and he almost instantly turned their entire system around for the better.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know he was referring to Matt Millen, but John Lynch has also had the same career path. Mayock seems to be a good fit for the Raiders. He's really not going to be a GM. They already committed to Gruden and Gruden has final say in all personnel decisions. No actual GM was going to sign up for that gig. Mayock will be a talent evaluator which is what he does best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, Buddha said:

this might be an unpopular opinion around here, but i think the lions are a few savvy moves away from being a dark horse contending team next year.

i know, i know.  crazy talk.  but...

1) its the nfl.  most teams are really close.  luck and injuries and turnovers mean so much.  see bears, chicago.

2) they fixed a big part of the defense with harrison, hand, and robinson.  their d line has done a great job after harrison came over.  what they need most of all is a pass rusher.

3) draft a pass rusher in the top 5, pick up a fast as **** wr or a pass catching te in round 2, snab a safety or cover lb in round 3, then take some bpas the rest of the draft.  sign a good second corner...

if kerryon can stay healthy, they can get a wr who can get open, and a top 5 pick who can murder the passer and the lions might be on to something next year.

#idiotfanisme

I like it! They will have to do well this offseason, but I tend to agree9of course). They have 4 if not 5 starters signed on the OL, 3/3 on the DL as you mention, their top QB, MLB, CB and top 2 WRs,RBs and safeties all under contract. My goal is one of these two combos - Greedy and Earl Thomas or Deionte THompson and Jason Mccourty(or some sort of vet CB in the 8-10 mil range). I think coverage is our biggest issue by far. A top edge is obviously a major need too though and both FA and the draft have TE options. I'm guessing we sign someone better than Toilolo(though he could stay) in FA and use our 2nd on a TE, whoever is left of Hock,Fant,Smith. If all 3 are gone we look for one in the 3rd or 4th. 

We really need that WR that can get open and it may be the toughest get of the offseason. Humprhries is interesting, so is Hollywood and a few other draft types. I'm not opposed to a Marvin plus picks for Brown, Beckham or Julio if any of those guys go. 

Von Miller is a must get if he hits the market

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

I like it! They will have to do well this offseason, but I tend to agree9of course). They have 4 if not 5 starters signed on the OL, 3/3 on the DL as you mention, their top QB, MLB, CB and top 2 WRs,RBs and safeties all under contract. My goal is one of these two combos - Greedy and Earl Thomas or Deionte THompson and Jason Mccourty(or some sort of vet CB in the 8-10 mil range). I think coverage is our biggest issue by far. A top edge is obviously a major need too though and both FA and the draft have TE options. I'm guessing we sign someone better than Toilolo(though he could stay) in FA and use our 2nd on a TE, whoever is left of Hock,Fant,Smith. If all 3 are gone we look for one in the 3rd or 4th. 

We really need that WR that can get open and it may be the toughest get of the offseason. Humprhries is interesting, so is Hollywood and a few other draft types. I'm not opposed to a Marvin plus picks for Brown, Beckham or Julio if any of those guys go. 

Von Miller is a must get if he hits the market

he's back!

we missed your sunny disposition.  tater has run amok while you were gone.  ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about Von Miller.  Is this team a contender in the next 2 years.   I mean a legit Super Bowl contender?    He'll be 30 and he'll want a long contract.   Yes, he's be fantastic for a couple of years, but I could see him slide quickly and I could see it end up like Pat Swilling.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2019 at 12:24 PM, Motown Bombers said:

I know he was referring to Matt Millen, but John Lynch has also had the same career path. Mayock seems to be a good fit for the Raiders. He's really not going to be a GM. They already committed to Gruden and Gruden has final say in all personnel decisions. No actual GM was going to sign up for that gig. Mayock will be a talent evaluator which is what he does best. 

For the London Raiders.............What a mess that whole thing is.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't know about Von Miller.  Is this team a contender in the next 2 years.   I mean a legit Super Bowl contender?    He'll be 30 and he'll want a long contract.   Yes, he's be fantastic for a couple of years, but I could see him slide quickly and I could see it end up like Pat Swilling.  

sign von miller.  sign a decent corner back.  draft a playmaker or two.  get a new oc with some modern ideas.  stay healthy, get a little lucky with turnovers.  bam, playoff team.

i thought the lions played pretty well on defense down the stretch this year.  it was the inability to finish on offense that was killing them.  

that said, i would be surprised if they went big for von miller.  trey flowers is more likely if they want to splurge on the defensive line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would depend on asking price for Miller. 

 

I really like DK metcalf as WR. He’s legit #1 WR potential.

Byron Murphy CB Washington. Is a real play making CB.

Josh Allen edge Kentucky makes Lions beat writers sprung. But he is likely gone by the time the Lions pick.

Williams DT Bama is also a guy I like. He’s an impact player who is skilled vs run and pass. He improving with age.

Devin White is exactly the type of LB the Lions need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

theyre not going to sign miller.  he'll be too expensive and other teams have more space available.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miller will sign with the Raiders. It's exactly the type of move that the Raiders would make.  Trey Flowers would be my guy. Just entering his prime, Patricia connection etc. and wouldn't be as expensive as a top pass rusher.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Miller will sign with the Raiders. It's exactly the type of move that the Raiders would make.  Trey Flowers would be my guy. Just entering his prime, Patricia connection etc. and wouldn't be as expensive as a top pass rusher.

 

And then we could draft one of the pass-rushing LB'er or LB/DE hybrids: Polite, White, or Ferrell. My 1st choice would be Jachai Polite.

I like the idea of Greedy Williams as well... but I'd rather sign Flowers, draft a pass-rusher in the 1st, and top CB available in the 2nd.... 3/4/5 rounds for WR/ pass-catching TE/ OG/ Safety/ RB depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like TE is a position that Quinn is looking to upgrade this off season.  So far I like what I see out of the Senior Bowl.  Jaylon Ferguson DE from La Tech is really intriguing.  Looks kind of nasty, and has a nasty demeanor about him.  I like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically, I would draft a butt kicking bad dude who can set the edge and play against the run and pass, than a hybrid/soft/olb/de. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Basically, I would draft a butt kicking bad dude who can set the edge and play against the run and pass, than a hybrid/soft/olb/de. 

like rashan gary.  really good against the run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2018 at 4:28 PM, Buddha said:

jarad davis is bad, but he has talent and has shown flashes from time to time.

devon kennard is technically a linebacker.  he has flashes of being ok even though on the whole he sucks too.

the lions dont have any tight ends with talent.  

that said, i dont think the lions should be drafting a tight end high.  pass rusher and cornerback have to be their priorities.

i would not be surprised if the lions drafted a te high.  second or third round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buddha said:

i would not be surprised if the lions drafted a te high.  second or third round.

I wouldn't mind that kid from Utah State in the 3rd round.  Dax Raymond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Buddha said:

like rashan gary.  really good against the run.

Exactly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Tight End from Missouri Albert Okwuegbunam is really intriguing as a playmaker at 6'6, 217lbs. I've seen him mocked all over the board from 1st to 4th, but I wouldn't want him #8 overall. Depending on his combine performance and what the league insiders start to say about him, a 2nd round seems entirely possible for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mel Kiper just moved TK Hockenson up to his #6 overall prospect. That seals it for me, keep Hockenson away from this team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the thread where people talk about Lions football?

Anyway, I have seen a few people mock Devin White from LSU to Detroit. My first thought is, doesn't he play the same position as Jarrad Davis? My second thought is, the team is now largely based on 3-4 alignment. My third thought is that the draftniks seem really high on White, especially on his ability in coverage.

I've never seen him play. Does anybody have a read on him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Is this the thread where people talk about Lions football?

Anyway, I have seen a few people mock Devin White from LSU to Detroit. My first thought is, doesn't he play the same position as Jarrad Davis? My second thought is, the team is now largely based on 3-4 alignment. My third thought is that the draftniks seem really high on White, especially on his ability in coverage.

I've never seen him play. Does anybody have a read on him?

i would be very surprised if they took white, unless they just want speed at linebacker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,733
    • Total Posts
      2,933,872
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...