cruzer1

2019 NFL Draft Thread

40 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think I'm done with Patricia. He seems like a grade A douche. Has the team practicing outdoors for no reason. Is a dick to reporters. I miss Jim Caldwell. 

One thing we should remain clear on however, which is that whether or not Patricia is a grade A douche-bag to the press and in public probably has very little to do with whether he can build a winning team as a head football coach - so the perception of one shouldn't necessarily drive the evaluation of the other.

27 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

One thing we should remain clear on however, which is that whether or not Patricia is a grade A douche-bag to the press and in public probably has very little to do with whether he can build a winning team as a head football coach - so the perception of one shouldn't necessarily drive the evaluation of the other.

He is a defensive guru and the defense is terrible and the few stars he does have on defense have regressed. Glover Quinn may be due to age but Slay has also seemed to have regressed. Making players practice in the snow and banishing stars to special teams doesn't seem like a good strategy. 

49 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

He is a defensive guru and the defense is terrible and the few stars he does have on defense have regressed. Glover Quinn may be due to age but Slay has also seemed to have regressed. Making players practice in the snow and banishing stars to special teams doesn't seem like a good strategy. 

But that is what I mean. There was a lot of talk on the radio the last couple of days implying that how he went about responding to the press about the indoor/outdoor thing was somehow material. The indoor/outdoor thing is certainly material, but not so much how he choose to defend/not defend it to the press. 

But it seems everything that gets pulled into the Lion's orbit because imbued with ambiguity. Patricia no different. First "He's alienating the players," then "He's weeding out those who won't buy in." The O-line is great one week, bad the next - Stafford manages a game nicely, then turns into a bum the next week. They can run the ball, no they can't. 

I suppose you have to go back to the old bottom line - your are what your record says you are, so Patricia doesn't look  like he's going to make us all forget Caldwell anytime soon!

5 hours ago, Buddha said:

stafford doesnt play defense or ref the game.  it wasnt on him.

The offense sputtered out, took the foot off the gas.   He started missing open guys.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 10:38 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

The offense sputtered out, took the foot off the gas.   He started missing open guys.

Guys aren't open. They need a difference maker with speed. Speed gets open.

On 11/14/2018 at 12:41 PM, cruzer1 said:

They will also need a backup rb, although I hope they bring back ZZ.

Albino Rhino is back. You are right they do need another RB. I am not sold on Johnson’s ability to stay healthy. Although the latest injury is apparently minor. RBs will get banged up and relying on old FA and Riddick is a poor idea.

Allegedly ZZ added a lot of weight and muscle mass since we saw him last. We will see. Hopefully, he helps on special teams. Don Carey is also back, nice to have the gunner back. 

In a bit of a surprise,  Oregon QB Justin Herbert, a contender for top QB in this draft, has elected to stay in school for another year.   

This QB draft class is looking very thin and 2020 just got crazier

Here is a breakdown of potential 1st and 2nd round talent that could be available when the Lions pick in those rounds respectively. Here are some of the offensive players we could target.

Lions Team Needs: WR, TE, OG, DE/Edge Rush, DT, OLB, 3/4 Edge LB, CB, FS (If Quin isn't brought back)

WR Prospects

1st: AJ Brown/Ole Miss

CBS Sports   Walter Football   Draft Geek Video

1st/2nd: Parris Campbell/Ohio State

CBS Sports   Walter Football 

1st/2nd: D.K. Metcalf/Ole Miss

1st/2nd: Deebo Samuel/South Carolina

1st/2nd: Marquise Brown/Oklahoma

1st/2nd: N'Keal Harry/Arizona State

2nd: Collin Johnson//Texas

2nd: Kelvin Harmon/NC State

2nd: J.J. Arcega-Whiteside/Stanford

2nd: Riley Ridley/Georgia

2nd: David Sills/West Virginia

2nd: DeMarcus Lodge/Ole Miss

TE Prospects

1st/2nd: Albert Okwuegbunam/Missouri

CBS Sports    Walter Football

1st/2nd: Irv Smith/Alabama

2nd: Noah Fant/Iowa

CBS Sports    Walter Football   Draft Geek Video

2nd: Caleb Wilson/UCLA

Offensive Guard Prospects

1st/2nd: Cody Ford/Oklahoma

1st/2nd: Chris Lindstrom/Boston College

1st/2nd: Erik McCoy/Texas A&M

1st/2nd: Michael Jordan/Ohio State

On 11/13/2018 at 2:35 PM, cruzer1 said:

Easy answer right now is Rashan Gary. He's two players in one. LE on run downs and move him inside for passing downs.

He has all the talent in the world. Has a tendency to get banged up. Did not perform to talent level.

the lions better not draft a damn guard in the first round.  they need some playmakers.

i'd rather they draft a receiver than a guard.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

the lions better not draft a damn guard in the first round.  they need some playmakers.

i'd rather they draft a receiver than a guard.

Quinn has had three first round picks and taken two offensive lineman with his three picks. If TJ Lang is gone and Rick Wagner gets cut, sadly, I could easily see it happening. Do I want it to? Helz no! But I wouldn't put it past Quinn to do.

this might be an unpopular opinion around here, but i think the lions are a few savvy moves away from being a dark horse contending team next year.

i know, i know.  crazy talk.  but...

1) its the nfl.  most teams are really close.  luck and injuries and turnovers mean so much.  see bears, chicago.

2) they fixed a big part of the defense with harrison, hand, and robinson.  their d line has done a great job after harrison came over.  what they need most of all is a pass rusher.

3) draft a pass rusher in the top 5, pick up a fast as **** wr or a pass catching te in round 2, snab a safety or cover lb in round 3, then take some bpas the rest of the draft.  sign a good second corner...

if kerryon can stay healthy, they can get a wr who can get open, and a top 5 pick who can murder the passer and the lions might be on to something next year.

#idiotfanisme

Buddha, I'd agree IF it wasn't the Lions that we're talking about but since it's the Lions, they'll find a way to screw it up.

Realistically though, they have the resources with the draft and freed up money to make a splash and build a contending roster.

6 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Buddha, I'd agree IF it wasn't the Lions that we're talking about but since it's the Lions, they'll find a way to screw it up.

Realistically though, they have the resources with the draft and freed up money to make a splash and build a contending roster.

i know.  believe me, i know.

13 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

He has all the talent in the world. Has a tendency to get banged up. Did not perform to talent level.

Because he had a shoulder injury.  Shoulder injuries are huge for DL, like Ansah.  Must be medically cleared.

17 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Here is a breakdown of potential 1st and 2nd round talent that could be available when the Lions pick in those rounds respectively. Here are some of the offensive players we could target.

Lions Team Needs: WR, TE, OG, DE/Edge Rush, DT, OLB, 3/4 Edge LB, CB, FS (If Quin isn't brought back)

WR Prospects

1st: AJ Brown/Ole Miss

1st/2nd: Parris Campbell/Ohio State

1st/2nd: D.K. Metcalf/Ole Miss

1st/2nd: Deebo Samuel/South Carolina

1st/2nd: Marquise Brown/Oklahoma

1st/2nd: N'Keal Harry/Arizona State

2nd: Collin Johnson//Texas

2nd: Kelvin Harmon/NC State

2nd: J.J. Arcega-Whiteside/Stanford

2nd: Riley Ridley/Georgia

2nd: David Sills/West Virginia

2nd: DeMarcus Lodge/Ole Miss

TE Prospects

1st/2nd: Albert Okwuegbunam/Missouri

1st/2nd: Irv Smith/Alabama

2nd: Noah Fant/Iowa

CBS Sports    Walter Football   Draft Geek Video

2nd: Caleb Wilson/UCLA

Offensive Guard Prospects

1st/2nd: Cody Ford/Oklahoma

1st/2nd: Chris Lindstrom/Boston College

1st/2nd: Erik McCoy/Texas A&M

1st/2nd: Michael Jordan/Ohio State

This is all a bunch of hogwash.  Let me know when the combines are.  Hollywood will run something fast.  Fast doesn't last in the draft.

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

this might be an unpopular opinion around here, but i think the lions are a few savvy moves away from being a dark horse contending team next year.

i know, i know.  crazy talk.  but...

1) its the nfl.  most teams are really close.  luck and injuries and turnovers mean so much.  see bears, chicago.

2) they fixed a big part of the defense with harrison, hand, and robinson.  their d line has done a great job after harrison came over.  what they need most of all is a pass rusher.

3) draft a pass rusher in the top 5, pick up a fast as **** wr or a pass catching te in round 2, snab a safety or cover lb in round 3, then take some bpas the rest of the draft.  sign a good second corner...

if kerryon can stay healthy, they can get a wr who can get open, and a top 5 pick who can murder the passer and the lions might be on to something next year.

#idiotfanisme

It’s not crazy.  This could all happen. The team underachieved this season and the talent level is better than 5-11.   No reason not to think that with a few adjustments and a bit of luck this team could finish 2019 as NFC North champs and lose at home in the first round of the playoffs.  

Sports are the worst. 

That said, I was very impressed with the Ford field hospitality last weekend. Everyone there went out of their way to be as helpful as possible. NFL games are still probably the worst in person experience across all sports, but credit to the workers. 

7 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Talk about a reach. He’s got very limited upside despite having a good motor.  

I wonder if there has ever been an example in the NFL of a TV analyst becoming a GM? Hmmmmmmmmm . . . This has disaster written all over it.