cruzer1

2019 NFL Draft Thread

15 hours ago, Buddha said:

Anyone who signs Ansah to anything more than a one year "prove it" deal is ridiculously stupid.

But someone will get desperate and do it.  I just hope it's not the Lions.

I complained about franchising him all off season, if they re-sign him to a large contract then I will may show up at Bob Quinn's house.

1 hour ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

It depends on what they do in free agency.

But the biggest needs are CB with speed, Edge, TE, CB (again), off ball LB, slot WR, and OG. You can toss in backup Qb for good measure.

They will also need a backup rb, although I hope they bring back ZZ.

16 hours ago, Buddha said:

It's the Lions.  Ansah will leave and then suddenly turn into a cross between Michael Strahan and Bruce Smith.

Book it.

21 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

If we're ranking needs...

4) Separation as a receiver. Could be a Ebron-like TE, or Tate-like receiver. Two guys Quin traded/ let go. I think what we have remaining aren't that. Roberts, Jones and Galloway have ability, but not enough separation so, Stafford has tight windows or receivers-blanketed situations, leading to a lot of coverage sacks. This is a higher rank than other needs because it creates a dysfunctional problem in our Offense that Stafford isn't good enough to overcome. Not as high a need as RG though...

Speaking of which:  https://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2018/11/5_things_to_watch_the_lions_do.html

basically the lions need better players.

lots of them.

Given our overall lack of talent on this team you can pretty much draft BPA, while still filling a need at the same time. Given the way this season has been trending too, I expect them to finish with a pick somewhere in the 7-10 range. Hopefully they don't go on a disastrous winning streak and play themselves out of a top 10 pick. I remember in 2011 season they were in the running for a top 10 pick (Patrick Peterson) almost the entire season until they went on a meaningless winning streak at season's end and played themselves right out of drafting Peterson and ended up with Fairley instead.

In the first I think we should go with one of the best available Edge Rushers, Defensive Tackles or Outside Linebackers on the board. Players that come to mind are Nick Bosa (Amazed if he doesn't go top 3-5), Ed Oliver, Raekwon Davis, Quinnen  Williams, Rashan Gary, Josh Allen. Whichever position we don't fill with a first, we can fill in the second. I would like to see our third round pick devoted to a QB who can push Stafford and be an option as a starter should things continue to go further and further south.

This is what they need

Defensive End

Right Guard   (TJ Lang is done)

Linebacker

Linebacker

Safety

Cornerback

Tight End

Some folks thinking they need a DT, but they have Snacks, Hand and A'Shawn.  They are fine there.  

I also think they need a really good young Quarterback.    I know they won't be able to trade Stafford this year, but I do think they need someone to maybe push him.  He's lost it.  He's lost whatever edge he had.  I don't think he is intentionally doing it.  I just think he's spiritually broken and I doubt he ever gets it back.  

I look at that list and I am furious.   How many draft and fincancial resources have gone into that O-Line?   And not only will they need to replace Lang, both tackles are stunningly average.     What are they doing to these guys?    Great before they get here.  They come here and are average or bad.  They leave and they are great again.    Is it just the culture?  Is it just that these guys treat the Lions as a vacation. 

If they could only have had Caldwell as the Monday-Saturday head coach and had a different coach on game day.    

Or maybe this season is some kind of brilliant ploy by Patricia to weed out and expose the non-believers.   I don't think that's it.    That whole thing with the slouching reporter......that really kind of turned me against Patricia.  It's stupid stuff that doesn't matter and a guy that looks like a frat brah on the morning after a bender can't slap others about appearance. 

39 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Or maybe this season is some kind of brilliant ploy by Patricia to weed out and expose the non-believers.   I don't think that's it.    That whole thing with the slouching reporter......that really kind of turned me against Patricia.  It's stupid stuff that doesn't matter and a guy that looks like a frat brah on the morning after a bender can't slap others about appearance. 

Patricia looks to be lost. His D teams in NE sucked. What does this say about Quinn??

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't think Stafford is spiritually broken, whatever that means.

It's when you work at something and you are good at it and the organization you work for is horrible.  Or maybe you have a boss that fails to ever recognize that you're doing something well.   Then one day you find yourself at work and you aren't trying - aren't giving your all anymore.  You didn't mean to do it, you weren't trying to do it, but something inside you just kind of broke.  I think that he's there.   He doesn't look the same this year.   Maybe it's as simple as the money.   Maybe it's Patricia is as big a dick as we hear (Belichick can do it - few others can get away with it), but he is not the same guy this year.   

You've had multiple opponents comment on the Lion's offense being easy to play against -  could be problems with the quality of the offensive scheme and that can make your QB look lackluster. Of course another question is whether at this point the scheme is driven by Stafford as much as vice verse.

Maybe last year was an outlier and this is just who Stafford is? His comp%, int%, ypa and qbr this season all match up to where he was at most of his career. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Maybe last year was an outlier and this is just who Stafford is? His comp%, int%, ypa and qbr this season all match up to where he was at most of his career. 

Yes, this is who I believe he is and it isn't good enough to win a playoff game (and certainly not make a Super Bowl). When Joe Lombardi was here he made comment that alluded to Stafford not having a high enough football IQ and awareness on the field to implement a more complex offense. I'm not in the locker room, at practice or on the field with the guy,  so I can't fully know if what Lombardi said has merit or not.

joe flacco and case keenum have won playoff games.  stafford is good enough to win a playoff game.  which is a stupid standard by which to rate qbs considering how many bad ones have "won" playoff games.

case keenum beat drew brees for god's sake.

Joe Flacco got hot at the right time of the season. Beyond his terrific end of season play he hasn't really lived up to the contract extension he was given. If Flacco were our QB, I'd be complaining about him too. The same goes for Case Keenum, in-terms of getting hot at the right time of the season. Keenum was also being paid $23 million less a season than Stafford.

Stafford has had three chances to win a playoff game and has come up empty. Now, I don't completely fault him for the abject disaster of a game in 2011 in New Orleans. I put more blame on him for the Dallas and Seattle games though. In the case of the Seattle game, the analytics have shown us just how bad Stafford's performance is against top defenses, Seattle was the 5th rated defense that year according to Football Outsiders.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:26 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

This is what they need

Defensive End

Right Guard   (TJ Lang is done)

Linebacker

Linebacker

Safety

Cornerback

Tight End

Some folks thinking they need a DT, but they have Snacks, Hand and A'Shawn.  They are fine there.  

I also think they need a really good young Quarterback.    I know they won't be able to trade Stafford this year, but I do think they need someone to maybe push him.  He's lost it.  He's lost whatever edge he had.  I don't think he is intentionally doing it.  I just think he's spiritually broken and I doubt he ever gets it back.  

I look at that list and I am furious.   How many draft and fincancial resources have gone into that O-Line?   And not only will they need to replace Lang, both tackles are stunningly average.     What are they doing to these guys?    Great before they get here.  They come here and are average or bad.  They leave and they are great again.    Is it just the culture?  Is it just that these guys treat the Lions as a vacation. 

If they could only have had Caldwell as the Monday-Saturday head coach and had a different coach on game day.    

Spot on with the categorizing of the needs although I might place Linebacker and corner over RG.

I don't think Stafford has "lost it". It's just a rough 3 game stretch, nothing more. People are vastly overreacting to this poor stretch of his. However, I agree that the Lions need a young backup QB that can potentially push him in the next few seasons.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

joe flacco and case keenum have won playoff games.  stafford is good enough to win a playoff game.  which is a stupid standard by which to rate qbs considering how many bad ones have "won" playoff games.

case keenum beat drew brees for god's sake.

Stafford played fantastic in 2 of their playoff losses.  They were done in by all time great Drew Brees and the Jerry Jones refs. Stafford played more than well enough to win those two games, anybody who says otherwise (Tater) is clearly trolling.  They should have never been in the playoffs when they lost to Seattle, that team was easy playoff fodder.

18 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Joe Flacco got hot at the right time of the season. Beyond his terrific end of season play he hasn't really lived up to the contract extension he was given. If Flacco were our QB, I'd be complaining about him too. The same goes for Case Keenum, in-terms of getting hot at the right time of the season. Keenum was also being paid $23 million less a season than Stafford.

Stafford has had three chances to win a playoff game and has come up empty. Now, I don't completely fault him for the abject disaster of a game in 2011 in New Orleans. I put more blame on him for the Dallas and Seattle games though. In the case of the Seattle game, the analytics have shown us just how bad Stafford's performance is against top defenses, Seattle was the 5th rated defense that year according to Football Outsiders.

oh come on.

they had the dallas game won and the refs stole it.  they never should have been on the field in that seattle game.  they were up against a much better team.

On 11/15/2018 at 7:26 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

It is infuriating. And we've all said it, many times: it starts at the top.

The level of dysfunction in that organization going back so many decades just dumbfounds me. For a sports franchise to be this bad for so long seems almost inconceivable, and it just never changes. How are the lights on over there?

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

oh come on.

they had the dallas game won and the refs stole it.  they never should have been on the field in that seattle game.  they were up against a much better team.

They didn't have the Dallas game won.  They were up 20-7 and blew it.  Part of it was on Stafford.  

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They didn't have the Dallas game won.  They were up 20-7 and blew it.  Part of it was on Stafford.  

My one takeaway from that Dallas game wasn't the Brandon Pettigrew PI. It was the gutless punt on 4th down

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

stafford doesnt play defense or ref the game.  it wasnt on him.

I think I'm done with Patricia. He seems like a grade A douche. Has the team practicing outdoors for no reason. Is a dick to reporters. I miss Jim Caldwell.