cruzer1

2019 NFL Draft Thread

unfortunately, lots of teams at 3 wins or worse. may draft about 8-10. need a DL stud

Easy answer right now is Rashan Gary. He's two players in one. LE on run downs and move him inside for passing downs.

when the lions have lost optimists like cruzer, you know its bad.

It's a very good Edge and DL draft. I would expect they go big in that area.

they have a need for every position on defense.  they really need a cornerback or two.  their secondary is terrible.

worst position groups:

1) tight end

2) linebacker

3) defensive backs

4) defensive end

but the draft is heavy on defensive line talent, so its possible they go there early.  i suspect they'll bring in multiple cornerbacks.

and if theyre serious about the run game, theyre going to need to replace Lang.

TE isn't the top priority. D line has to be. Good corners in the draft too.

Also, the Lions are a slow team. They need speed everywhere. Minusing 4.7 (Tabor) would also help.

Josh Allen is the dream, dude is a game wrecker but he might very well go top 5.  I need to see Gary play this season to get a better look, Ferrell would be a really good option if the Lions win some games and drop a bit in the draft pecking order but I'm not seeing more than 6 wins with this schedule. 

They really need a defensive playmaker.  Actually, they need help at all levels of the defense with linebacker and #2CB still being big needs.  They might need to draft a tight end, it would be nice if they had a TE who can score TDs, someone like Ebron.

Oh and they might need to take a QB in the 3rd round or so, a QB who has a legit chance to start in 2-3 years. Not another Rudock with a late round pick.

47 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

i dont think tight end is a drafr priority, but do i think its the lions worst position group.

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i dont think tight end is a drafr priority, but do i think its the lions worst position group.

Bad year for TE group in draft.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

I think LB is the Lions worst position group.  They continue to get shredded up the middle with the run and pass because the LBs can't tackle or cover.

3 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Heck no on the qb. 

Stafford is 30 and I know that QBs have a longer lifespan than they used to but it might be time to start thinking about bringing in a development QB.

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

Stafford is 30 and I know that QBs have a longer lifespan than they used to but it might be time to start thinking about bringing in a development QB.

There's too many other needs on the team. They can fix alot in this draft too.

13 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I think LB is the Lions worst position group.  They continue to get shredded up the middle with the run and pass because the LBs can't tackle or cover.

jarad davis is bad, but he has talent and has shown flashes from time to time.

devon kennard is technically a linebacker.  he has flashes of being ok even though on the whole he sucks too.

the lions dont have any tight ends with talent.  

that said, i dont think the lions should be drafting a tight end high.  pass rusher and cornerback have to be their priorities.

14 minutes ago, NYLion said:

maybe a 6th or 7th round flyer on a guy.  stafford is a good qb - despite his current struggles - and isnt going anywhere because of his contract.  they have waaaaay too many other needs to address.

If we're ranking needs:

1) Both strong run-defending as well as pass-rushing DE (basically a healthy Ansah, or his replacement)

2a) #2 CB

2b) RG - gotta have a Guard that can stay healthy, create running lanes both short and second-level, and pass-block. Basically, a healthy Lang. Guards are easier to find in lower rounds than CB's though, which is why I put this at 2B instead of 2A, even though the need for a guard IMO ranks higher than #2 CB. So I guess I mixed some draft tendencies in with ranking needs...

4) Separation as a receiver. Could be a Ebron-like TE, or Tate-like receiver. Two guys Quin traded/ let go. I think what we have remaining aren't that. Roberts, Jones and Galloway have ability, but not enough separation so, Stafford has tight windows or receivers-blanketed situations, leading to a lot of coverage sacks. This is a higher rank than other needs because it creates a dysfunctional problem in our Offense that Stafford isn't good enough to overcome. Not as high a need as RG though...

5) Several similar needs at this point: (A) Can Crosby take over for Wagner? Do we ride with Crosby/Wagner for at least another year? Or draft another OT? (B) Draft a future QB here? (C) Can we find an athletic OLB here? Another Whitehead? (D) Fill in what we didn't get in need #4 (draft a WR at 4, find an athletic TE at 5? Or vice verse, good TE in 4, find a deep threat at #5?). Is there an (E) equivalent need anyone can think of? Did I miss anything...?

I think they'll have at least $40 million in cap space and that's without walking away from TJ Lang.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

jarad davis is bad, but he has talent and has shown flashes from time to time.

devon kennard is technically a linebacker.  he has flashes of being ok even though on the whole he sucks too.

the lions dont have any tight ends with talent.  

that said, i dont think the lions should be drafting a tight end high.  pass rusher and cornerback have to be their priorities.

Well, lets be honest. The Lions have needs everywhere outside of #1QB, RB and outside receiver. I just think the middle of the Lions D is way too soft. It could be a scheme issue but teams continue to carve them up down the middle, no resistance whatsoever.

Ultimately, I agree that pass rusher and #2CB are their biggest needs as I alluded to in my first post. This is a great D-Line draft so time for the Lions to stock up.

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

I would like a healthy Ansah with a young Gary.

Anyone who signs Ansah to anything more than a one year "prove it" deal is ridiculously stupid.

But someone will get desperate and do it.  I just hope it's not the Lions.

25 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Anyone who signs Ansah to anything more than a one year "prove it" deal is ridiculously stupid.

But someone will get desperate and do it.  I just hope it's not the Lions.

He is a talented player. He should.be cheaper.

It's the Lions.  Ansah will leave and then suddenly turn into a cross between Michael Strahan and Bruce Smith.

19 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

It depends on what they do in free agency.

But the biggest needs are CB with speed, Edge, TE, CB (again), off ball LB, slot WR, and OG. You can toss in backup Qb for good measure.