Casimir

2018-2019 In Season Moves and Rumors

Beilein pulled his name when he found out he wasn't the Pistons top choice. They never offered him the job.

I can understand the motivation to want to make that try before it's too late, but John has probably already waited too long to make the move. The Warriors are not going to give their next coaching opening to college coach - those opportunities are going to be exactly at places like Det or Cleve, where it's likely to be a very long time before much significant winning takes place. If you are going to coach for another 15 yrs, you can probably take the series of improvements and setbacks that after a firing or two might bootstrap you into a gig with a team that has a shot to be relevant. Beilein is walking way from a game at which he is in the top echelon to spend a few remaining years toiling in likely failure. But hey, if that is what he wants to get up in the morning  each day for I'll wish him well.

gilbert is notoriously cheap with management.  i wonder what beilein is making there?

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

gilbert is notoriously cheap with management.  i wonder what beilein is making there?

Not sure any numbers were mentioned.  I would guess $3-$5m per year.

I like the hire for Cleveland, which shocks me because I think Gilbert is a terrible owner.

They are going to be bad and have a lot of young players for the next 3-5 years.  Bringing in a guy like Beilein who can develop them is a very smart move.  When this deal is over he will be 70 or 71 and they probably turn it over to someone who can help them take the next step.  They kick Beilein upstairs as assistant GM or special assistant to the owner, something like West is doing with the Clippers.  

And lets be serious, this is the east.  Competent management and coaching could turn a team like Cleveland into a 2nd round playoff team in 3-4 years time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Not sure any numbers were mentioned.  I would guess $3-$5m per year.

I like the hire for Cleveland, which shocks me because I think Gilbert is a terrible owner.

They are going to be bad and have a lot of young players for the next 3-5 years.  Bringing in a guy like Beilein who can develop them is a very smart move.  When this deal is over he will be 70 or 71 and they probably turn it over to someone who can help them take the next step.  They kick Beilein upstairs as assistant GM or special assistant to the owner, something like West is doing with the Clippers.  

And lets be serious, this is the east.  Competent management and coaching could turn a team like Cleveland into a 2nd round playoff team in 3-4 years time.

That's a great point.

Philadelphia has a shot at the #1 pick tonight.

2019 first round draft pick from Sacramento
Boston will receive the more favorable of Philadelphia's 2019 1st round pick and Sacramento's 2019 1st round pick (via Philadelphia) protected for selection 1 and Philadelphia will receive the less favorable of these two picks; if the Sacramento pick falls on its protected selection, then Philadelphia will receive the Sacramento pick and Boston will receive the Philadelphia pick [Philadelphia-Sacramento, 7/9/2015; Boston-Philadelphia, 6/19/2017]

Basically, if the Kings pick ends up #1 the 76ers will keep it.  Anything other than #1 and it goes to Boston.  

23 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Beilein pulled his name when he found out he wasn't the Pistons top choice. They never offered him the job.

You're right, I forgot about that.

So who are you rooting to win Zion tonight and who do you hope doesn't get him.

I'd like to see the Knicks win since I can go to the games in person to watch him and I think NY getting a transcendent talent and personality like him is good for the league.  Cleveland would be worst case scenario for me as an NBA fan. They've had their fill of #1 picks and it's such a boring market.

I'm hoping for the Lakers or Bulls. 😉

ha ha knicks and bulls!  the tankiest teams that ever tanked both get screwed.  good!

35 minutes ago, Casimir said:

New Orleans?  I like it.

They will probably trade it for Anthony Davis.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

New Orleans?  I like it.

It's awful. A generational star goes to one of the most irrelevant markets in the NBA. What a waste.

He'll still be a star but New Orleans is probably one of the least interesting places. 

Anyway, I'll go out on a limb and say that Morant will be a better NBA player than Zion. Memphis would be fools to take Barrett over him.

Just heard on the radio that last week Vegas had the Pelicans at 300-1 to win the championship next year, now they're at 25-1. 

Did anyone watch the draft show last night?  ESPN, Rachel Nichols, and Woj are all taking a pounding today for how they handled it.  Some suggesting that Nichols was slurring her words like she had been drinking.  At one point she told RJ Barret, "Don't worry.  There are teams excited about you too."  

Bilas had Zion, Ja, and RJ at the desk and straight up asked Zion if he was GM, which other other two would he pick.  

They had the broadcast piped into the room.  With the camera on Kuzma, Woj starts rambling on about how the Zion pick could be used as an asset for the Lakers to acquire AD.  It's fine to talk about that on the show, but not when the players can hear you and the camera directly on the guy probably being shipped out in that trade.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:14 PM, Deleterious said:

No matter what happens he will always be considered a great talent.  But the shine came off the GOAT talk when he went to a team that had no shot at competing IMO.  

Reasonable enough. I don't particularly agree, but I get it.