Casimir

2018-2019 In Season Moves and Rumors

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I don't see owners going for fewer home dates.

There's no chance owners would give up 10 games of revenue.

That said - I think every professional sports league minus the NFL would benefit from fewer games from a competitive standpoint.

2 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

There's no chance owners would give up 10 games of revenue.

That said - I think every professional sports league minus the NFL would benefit from fewer games from a competitive standpoint.

Yup, agree.

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

What purposes do divisions serve? You don’t get a seeding advantage for winning one. 

It is interesting to see all of the SE teams lined up consecutively 8th through 12th in the conference.  Or would that be consuckutively?

It's only 8 games and 82 minutes, but SJ is putting up some epic numbers in New Orleans.

A 30% TS%?  I'm trying to come up with an apt comparison to how bad it is and I can't.  League average hovers around 55%.  

29% from the field.  11% from three.  I hope SJ likes Chinese food.  

• Like 1

Myles Turner has an opportunity to do something t hat has never been done before.

Average >2.5 blocks per game while shooting > 40% from three.  He is currently averaging 2.9 blocks per game and is shooting 40.4% from three.  

I think they used a more than one 3PTA per game qualifier on this.

when svg dies, someone has to make sure "drafted stanley johnson" is on his tombstone.

its really hard to make darko look like the second worst piston lottery pick...

This new management group has done a decent job on the margins. They didn't make any trades that kills future flexibility and improved the team incrementally. If you're not terrible, I feel like this is a better path than tanking. Quite frankly, the city needs a playoff series given the state of the other 3 franchises.

40 minutes ago, kdog said:

This new management group has done a decent job on the margins. They didn't make any trades that kills future flexibility and improved the team incrementally. If you're not terrible, I feel like this is a better path than tanking. Quite frankly, the city needs a playoff series given the state of the other 3 franchises.

Yeah, given the situation they have done a fine job. With limited flexibility they seem to have improved the team enough to possibly get a 6th seed (a tangible "win" after missing the playoffs), acquired additional assets for greater off-season flexibility and are getting contributions from a 2nd round pick. 

A major key for this team is hitting on their 1st round draft pick and making shrewd moves with the bench in the off-season. 

I'm happy to see this nice run as well, but let's not fool ourselves, they need more than a good pick from the middle of round one and some bench moves in the off-season unless your goal is a first round exit every year. They need a bonafide starter (and borderline All-Star) at the SG or SF position who can create with the ball in his hands. And that's if you believe in Reggie long term - which I don't - so they also need a playoff caliber starting PG.

15 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I'm happy to see this nice run as well, but let's not fool ourselves, they need more than a good pick from the middle of round one and some bench moves in the off-season unless your goal is a first round exit every year. They need a bonafide starter (and borderline All-Star) at the SG or SF position who can create with the ball in his hands. And that's if you believe in Reggie long term - which I don't - so they also need a playoff caliber starting PG.

...they don't have the flexibility to make major changes like that unless you plan on trading Griffin or Drummond (which is highly unlikely).

The team's best bet right now is to hope for continued improvement from what they have and marginally improve bench positions (specifically the wing position). 

Just now, 313DetroitCity said:

...they don't have the flexibility to make major changes like that unless you plan on trading Griffin or Drummond (which is highly unlikely).

The team's best bet right now is to hope for continued improvement from what they have and marginally improve bench positions (specifically the wing position). 

I agree with this. Their core is playing well now and there is enough talent there to dream on them being able to sustain their good play. Drummond playing so well really changes things. Kennard is looking very good as a catch and shoot guy. 

They obviously can’t afford to add a difference maker in free agency due to the cap. So all they can do is continue trying to make things work with their current roster and make a solid draft pick. And then after that, who knows. See what you have next year and how well it is working, and maybe there is an opportunity to trade some younger guys and the 2020 pick for a difference maker and then go into the tax to retain them if things look good. 

27 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

I can't agree with this.

Jackson, Leuer, Galloway, and Maker are all on expiring deals after this year. That's close to 40M in trade flexibility. Ish, Zaza, and Calderon may or may not be brought back. And yes, Dre becomes more tradeable with his effort since the All Star break and one year less on his deal, if the franchise wants to go that route (I'm sure they won't, but you already know that I would).

So, we do have some flexibility and there are always interesting deals that happen in the NBA. There's also a ticking clock on the Blake window. Are we pushing to get out of the first round and move into the top half of the East or are we pushing for a rebuild? The answer is clearly the former rather than the latter, but the fact is that you have to make more than a few bench tweaks and add a mid-round rookie to make that happen.

5 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I can't agree with this.

Jackson, Leuer, Galloway, and Maker are all on expiring deals after this year. That's close to 40M in trade flexibility. Ish, Zaza, and Calderon may or may not be brought back. And yes, Dre becomes more tradeable with his effort since the All Star break and one year less on his deal, if the franchise wants to go that route (I'm sure they won't, but you already know that I would).

So, we do have some flexibility and there are always interesting deals that happen in the NBA. There's also a ticking clock on the Blake window. Are we pushing to get out of the first round and move into the top half of the East or are we pushing for a rebuild? The answer is clearly the former rather than the latter, but the fact is that you have to make more than a few bench tweaks and add a mid-round rookie to make that happen.

Leuer & Galloway won't net you anything. Thon might get you minimal assets. Jackson may be movable if he maintains a high level of play into the playoffs. 

Realistically, what do you think this team can do with Jackson, Leuer, Galloway & Maker to acquire "a bonafide starter (and borderline All-Star) at the SG or SF position".

It ain't happening. 

2 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Leuer & Galloway won't net you anything. Thon might get you minimal assets. Jackson may be movable if he maintains a high level of play into the playoffs. 

Realistically, what do you think this team can do with Jackson, Leuer, Galloway & Maker to acquire "a bonafide starter (and borderline All-Star) at the SG or SF position".

It ain't happening. 

I'm willing to agree that this is your opinion.

It's easy to throw up your hands and say, "nobody wants these guys." The fact is that if you look at NBA trades they aren't as simple as just looking at the value that the fans put on certain players. Dollars and contract lengths matter. People make chemistry changes to move disgruntled players. Sometimes they simply try to get a large contract off the books in exchange for more flexibility. There are a lot of reasons that trades can look lopsided. Look at the Blake trade or the Sheed trade or even sending off a bag of balls to get Marcus Morris. Those are just top of mind, but there are easily a half dozen trades like that every season in the NBA. 40M in smaller, flexible/expiring contracts alongside a full set of picks, gives you a lot of flexibility if you're willing to be aggressive rather than sitting back and hoping for small, organic improvements turning into a giant leap.

12 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

It's easy to throw up your hands and say, "nobody wants these guys." The fact is that if you look at NBA trades they aren't as simple as just looking at the value that the fans put on certain players. Dollars and contract lengths matter. People make chemistry changes to move disgruntled players. Sometimes they simply try to get a large contract off the books in exchange for more flexibility. There are a lot of reasons that trades can look lopsided. Look at the Blake trade or the Sheed trade or even sending off a bag of balls to get Marcus Morris. Those are just top of mind, but there are easily a half dozen trades like that every season in the NBA. 40M in smaller, flexible/expiring contracts alongside a full set of picks, gives you a lot of flexibility if you're willing to be aggressive rather than sitting back and hoping for small, organic improvements turning into a giant leap.

To get Blake you had to trade Tobias & a 1st round lottery pick. 
The Rasheed trade was a different era where expiring contracts were valued differently. 
We got Morris & Bullock because we had cap room to take on contracts (we don't have that capability right now). 

It is just reality that Leuer, Galloway & Thon will not net you a bonafide all-star. At best they net you a rotational piece. 

18 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I think they could get Bazemore for Leuer, Galloway, and a second.

14 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

To get Blake you had to trade Tobias & a 1st round lottery pick. 
The Rasheed trade was a different era where expiring contracts were valued differently. 
We got Morris & Bullock because we had cap room to take on contracts (we don't have that capability right now). 

It is just reality that Leuer, Galloway & Thon will not net you a bonafide all-star. At best they net you a rotational piece. 

Feel free to explain them away in hindsight, but if I had proposed any of those trades on here, you would have called me crazy and said that the "reality" is...[insert opinion here]. That's why I'm not going to play the 'propose a trade' game on a forum.

The actual proven fact is that deals happen all the time in NBA that people would have dismissed on every basketball forum, because your view of a particular player is jaded by your context and does not consider all the elements that NBA GM's consider when making a trade.

We do have assets, including flexible contracts and picks, and if we want to get out of the first round then we need to be aggressive in making a move for an impact player. I'm not looking for Paul George or Kevin Durant, but you aren't getting out of the first round with what you have on the roster right now plus a mid-round rookie and a bench player. Maybe that's ok with you and you were coming at this from the point of view that a perennial first round 1-4 showing is good enough for the foreseeable future. If so, then there's no point in continuing this conversation because we clearly have different expectations.

4 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Feel free to explain them away in hindsight, but if I had proposed any of those trades on here, you would have called me crazy and said that the "reality" is...[insert opinion here]. That's why I'm not going to play the 'propose a trade' game on a forum.

There was nothing crazy about it. People were saying/many still say we lost that Griffin trade by giving up a lottery pick & Tobias for a big contract like Blake. We don't have a Tobias to trade, and our draft pick isn't as appealing when we are a playoff team.

The actual proven fact is that deals happen all the time in NBA that people would have dismissed on every basketball forum, because your view of a particular player is jaded by your context and does not consider all the elements that NBA GM's consider when making a trade.

I am not jaded on Leuer & Galloway. I am realistic in that Leuer can't sniff the court due to injuries and play & Galloway has largely been bad this year. Guys like that don't net you an all-star when you have no cap space to take people on. 

10 hours ago, Shelton said:

I agree with this. Their core is playing well now and there is enough talent there to dream on them being able to sustain their good play. Drummond playing so well really changes things. Kennard is looking very good as a catch and shoot guy. 

They obviously can’t afford to add a difference maker in free agency due to the cap. So all they can do is continue trying to make things work with their current roster and make a solid draft pick. And then after that, who knows. See what you have next year and how well it is working, and maybe there is an opportunity to trade some younger guys and the 2020 pick for a difference maker and then go into the tax to retain them if things look good. 

yup. As good as they have shown they can play without consistent high level PG play, to me the best medium term hope for them to improve is to luck out on a PG in the draft who develops beyond expectations. Not a high probability, but not impossible and probably more likely than any combination of trades from the current roster would lead to a markedly improved team. 

I think the Grizzlies wanted a first for Conley at the deadline.  I was against it then but I would be for it now given what has transpired since then.  You could get it done salary wise with the expiring contracts of Reggie, Leuer, and Galloway no problem.  It gives the Grizzlies cap room a summer earlier than their current situation as Conley has two years remaining after this year.    Pistons throw in Bruce Brown to give them another young player to complete the deal.  That gives us a two year window to compete in the East before Drummond and Conley would be free agents.  

13 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Would New Orleans give up Jrue Holiday if they go for the full rebuild...?

Yes, but they will want a big return on him.

A fan paid $6,900 for two courtside tickets to the Bucks-Lakers game last night.  Lebron and Giannis both sat out.

BTW, Mirotic broke his thumb in that game.  He is expected to be out for 2-4 weeks.