Jump to content

Casimir

2018-2019 In Season Moves and Rumors

Recommended Posts


With Ish and Bullock UFA's this summer, the Pistons desperately need perimeter help. They're spending huge money on Griffin and Drummond, now is the time to roll the dice and go for a stud like Beal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Otto Porter is interesting, but it would mostly be a salary dump both ways with limited assets going back to Washington with his contract.

Wall is pretty much untradeable with that extension. Woof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to get Beal but I just don't see anyway that we could make an offer that the Wizards would take.  Id imagine they want expiring deals and promising young talent, neither of which we have.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even know what to say about this.

This guy is selling a book.  So who knows if he was really dating D12 or not.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd scour for any Wing upgrade we could find out there, but... really, I think it needs to be a 3&D guy, not just an O guy or D-guy. Doesn't have to be an elite player, just someone who is efficient at both ends, and on O, has range... 

And if we're riding a 3-year Blake window, that means we may have to move a 1st to get the right guy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I'd scour for any Wing upgrade we could find out there, but... really, I think it needs to be a 3&D guy, not just an O guy or D-guy. Doesn't have to be an elite player, just someone who is efficient at both ends, and on O, has range... 

And if we're riding a 3-year Blake window, that means we may have to move a 1st to get the right guy...

I really struggle with this.

Basically, I cannot imagine a scenario wherein the Pistons are a legitimate contender in the next 3 years.  ****, I have my doubts they would win a play-off series in that time-frame, but the East is weak so perhaps I am pessimistic?

In any event, presuming it is fact that the Blake window is 3 years does not motivate me to advocate making win now moves.  The fundamental problem with the ownership team is they are always trying to win now, kicking the can down the road, and just spinning their wheels as a consequence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I really struggle with this.

Basically, I cannot imagine a scenario wherein the Pistons are a legitimate contender in the next 3 years.  ****, I have my doubts they would win a play-off series in that time-frame, but the East is weak so perhaps I am pessimistic?

In any event, presuming it is fact that the Blake window is 3 years does not motivate me to advocate making win now moves.  The fundamental problem with the ownership team is they are always trying to win now, kicking the can down the road, and just spinning their wheels as a consequence.

yeah - we often talk to our engineering students about not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good when they are trying to execute a project, but if you want to win championships (as opposed to say just running a reasonable business) you either have to be really lucky, or have at least enough patience not to settle for the merely good as opposed trying to get closer to perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I really struggle with this.

Basically, I cannot imagine a scenario wherein the Pistons are a legitimate contender in the next 3 years.  ****, I have my doubts they would win a play-off series in that time-frame, but the East is weak so perhaps I am pessimistic?

In any event, presuming it is fact that the Blake window is 3 years does not motivate me to advocate making win now moves.  The fundamental problem with the ownership team is they are always trying to win now, kicking the can down the road, and just spinning their wheels as a consequence.

Well, my reasoning is:

First, the East is pretty damn weak as you mentioned, so there's a chance.

Second, without Blake, we were on the edge of just imploding this team. But with Blake, I think the whole dynamic changes, for a variety of reasons.... One reason is that I don't think Drummond reaches his potential without a Blake-type encouraging/ pushing him. Not saying Dre turns into Wilt Chamberlain or anything... just saying that whatever level he reaches as his Max abilities, he doesn't get there (lacks the motivation) without Blake. Dre is athletic in some ways, and not so much in others; so I'm not touting him as some superstar, he's not. But Dre at the top of his abilities is still a damn fine player on the court, even if he isn't what we want him to be... He can be dominant (if flawed...) if used correctly... so now we have two above-average players on the team. Obviously, Blake himself. High IQ, highly skilled, great motivator for the team.

I think with Blake on the team, and healthy and effective, there's no way to be less than average or... in a position to blow the team up  and tank. And management hasn't signed on to that game plan either. Maybe once Blake is done and the team is once again in a good position to do so... But that's not today.

I'm not comfortable with just being barely average either... Nor is Gores or Casey. That sort of puts us in the position of "making the best of Blake's effective years". Not easy given middling draft position and a screwed up cap with too much ineffective players/ $$$ tied up. But add one or two key players, and this team has as good a chance as any other team in the East (just a guess on that one...). 

So... I see a 3-year win-now window... and if it doesn't work... then start up "The Process".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Start up the process now.

Totally unrealistic at this point, starting with Gores. 

Know anyone that can convince Gores to start the Process up? If not, it's just a fantasy wish...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

would it shock anyone if the pistons traded for john wall?  get another expensive shiny toy we can put on a billboard next to gore's picture?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Totally unrealistic at this point, starting with Gores. 

Know anyone that can convince Gores to start the Process up? If not, it's just a fantasy wish...

Makes sense.  Gores comes from a business background that has made him very rich in a relatively short period of time.  He's probably looking to emulate that to some degree with the Pistons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×