Motor City Sonics

Game 9 Detroit @ Chicago. The City of Big Shoulder Pads

and honestly, i think the lions will go defensive back before they go defensive line.  their corners are so bad and they have some decent dlinemen in hand and robinson and harrison.

13 hours ago, jb84 said:

Are you also on the West Coast? Had a neighbor who served in the Pacific, great guy. I was born in 49, so Lions were good when I was a tike.

Vancouver. We have had major fire problems in our province 3 of the past 4 summers. Much property destruction, but not the loss of life your area is experiencing because our fires for the most part were centred a couple of hours or more from major urban centres. Did affect the air quality of Vancouver in a big way though.

smoke.jpg

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

and honestly, i think the lions will go defensive back before they go defensive line.  their corners are so bad and they have some decent dlinemen in hand and robinson and harrison.

For whatever reason, I'm leery of 1st round CB's. And I would prefer the DE in the 1st and a CB in the 2nd... I think the Lions' defensive priorities should rank along those lines as well. I see them losing Ansah this offseason. And they miss his run-setting of the edge (his pass-rushing too...) terribly. I think setting the edge is critical in Patricia's D and that is a big part of giving up so many big runs against them. I think Arnold's a more complete and dominant DE than Gary. He has my vote. And a CB at the very top of the 2nd is nothing to sniff at.

I think replacing Lang is also a high priority. And a WR who can gain separation is a need as well (either deep speed, or a slot-monster, either one).

But first two positions I look at are DE, and then CB.

2 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

For whatever reason, I'm leery of 1st round CB's. And I would prefer the DE in the 1st and a CB in the 2nd... I think the Lions' defensive priorities should rank along those lines as well. I see them losing Ansah this offseason. And they miss his run-setting of the edge (his pass-rushing too...) terribly. I think setting the edge is critical in Patricia's D and that is a big part of giving up so many big runs against them. I think Arnold's a more complete and dominant DE than Gary. He has my vote. And a CB at the very top of the 2nd is nothing to sniff at.

I think replacing Lang is also a high priority. And a WR who can gain separation is a need as well (either deep speed, or a slot-monster, either one).

But first two positions I look at are DE, and then CB.

Oh, what's it matter?   They'll always suck.   They will never ever ever ever ever be good.      When it looks like they might get good, a satellite will crash on their sideline and wipe them out.    What's the point? 

They need both R positions on the O-Line.  Lang is done and Wagner is awful

They need at least one D-Lineman. 

They need at least one Linebacker, actually 2

They need a starting  CB and a starting Safety

And they need to start seriously thinking about QB beyond next year.   

Karsch and Anderson brought up a very seldom used rule...last used in 1973 or something where if you fair catch a punt you get a free kick...that is not timed...so you can run up and kick the ball for a FG.  Like a kick off, they cannot line up to block it.  So if they called time out at the end of the half, they were punting out of the end zone, we fair catch it somewhere around the 50 yard line and can tee it up and have Prater run up and kick it for a possible 3 points just before the half.

Would not have mattered IMO when it comes to this specific game...we were losing no matter what, but should this not be something they use or consider more in games?  Especially at the end of a half where even if you miss it there is no down side.  The half is over.  Why do not coaches use it more at the end of the half?

21 hours ago, Buddha said:

Hope not. A good pass rush helps DB's significantly. They have ZERO rush now

Just now, jb84 said:

The pass rush has been pathetic.

28 minutes ago, jb84 said:

with the 3-4 that theyre running, i expect them to get their main rush from outside linebackers.  plus i think patricia thinks he can scheme pass rush.

look at the pats game.  they rushed three a lot and dropped everyone back into coverage.

but this draft is loaded with dline talent, so they might take a dlineman early.  they certainly need the help at every position on defense.

12 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Karsch and Anderson brought up a very seldom used rule...last used in 1973 or something where if you fair catch a punt you get a free kick...that is not timed...so you can run up and kick the ball for a FG.  Like a kick off, they cannot line up to block it.  So if they called time out at the end of the half, they were punting out of the end zone, we fair catch it somewhere around the 50 yard line and can tee it up and have Prater run up and kick it for a possible 3 points just before the half.

Would not have mattered IMO when it comes to this specific game...we were losing no matter what, but should this not be something they use or consider more in games?  Especially at the end of a half where even if you miss it there is no down side.  The half is over.  Why do not coaches use it more at the end of the half?

I know it's been used since then..............perhaps our Rocket Scientist was not aware of the rule. 

Jim Harbaugh knew it 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000251221/Dawson-fair-catch-kick-attempt

Happened in 1984 too