RedRamage

Lions at Bear pre-game discussion

Meh... whatever...  I'll still watch the game.  I might turn it off after the 3rd Qtr if they're getting blown out again.  Maybe they'll surprise me and actually win, but I'm not expecting a win.

I 100% completely expect them to lose...which means they will win this game in some fashion or in the VERY least make it so close that the last minute or so will be talked about for years.

2 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

I 100% completely expect them to lose...which means they will win this game in some fashion or in the VERY least make it so close that the last minute or so will be talked about for years.

I like a mix of blowout losses and close losses.  The blowouts are hilarious in some ways, and the close ones in other ways.  The close ones keep hope alive for the laughably gullible people who still harbor a belief that there is some chance that this joke of a franchise will be successful on the field during their lifetimes, plus often the close ones turn on one or two incredibly entertaining Lionsesque blunders. 

27 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

I like a mix of blowout losses and close losses.  The blowouts are hilarious in some ways, and the close ones in other ways.  The close ones keep hope alive for the laughably gullible people who still harbor a belief that there is some chance that this joke of a franchise will be successful on the field during their lifetimes, plus often the close ones turn on one or two incredibly entertaining Lionsesque blunders. 

I hate the 'As long as the Fords own the team they be horrific' take, but it is hard to argue.  There is something toxic happening in the executive branch of this franchise...it has to be.

Some mantra that does not promote winning, but safety ...something.  I have no idea, but it is really hard to fathom how inept the franchise as a whole has been since I have been alive.

My apathy set in last year at some point.  Now maybe that is because I have 3 young ones at home now and just do not put any more passion into the team...that may be a part of it, but if they won once in awhile...a playoff game once every 4-5 years or something...make a superbowl once every 10-20 years...something, anything I think I would still have some passion even with the kiddos at home.

Outwardly they appear to do the right things sometimes, but it never works....there has to be something going on in the guts of the organization that is toxic.

47 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

You're gonna have a hard time trolling Lions fans.  I mean, hope springs eternal, but at the same time there's nothing you can do to hurt us anymore than the team itself has done, so...

Hey, I was once one of you.  I gave up on the Lions in 1983 when they refused to draft a quarterback (and not just any quarterback, but Dan Marino) and used their first-round pick on a fullback.  I came back with Barry Sanders -- who could not be a Barry fan? -- but turned against them completely when he had had enough of them and they refused to trade him, preferring to just let him retire.  And getting out when I did and despising them and deciding to root against them allowed me to enjoy the Matt Millen years and everything that has happened since while many around me have been weeping and wailing.

As I've said here before, the Lions have value to me because they provide much-needed comic relief in my life.  Unlike those who claim to be "Lions-free," I watch Lions games.  But unlike so many others in Detroit, I actually enjoy them.

mack is expected to play.  bad news for matt stafford.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

mack is expected to play.  bad news for matt stafford.

The Lions' offensive line should be able to handle him.  They're well rested, having taken the last game off.

17 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

I hate the 'As long as the Fords own the team they be horrific' take, but it is hard to argue.  There is something toxic happening in the executive branch of this franchise...it has to be.

Some mantra that does not promote winning, but safety ...something.  I have no idea, but it is really hard to fathom how inept the franchise as a whole has been since I have been alive.

My apathy set in last year at some point.  Now maybe that is because I have 3 young ones at home now and just do not put any more passion into the team...that may be a part of it, but if they won once in awhile...a playoff game once every 4-5 years or something...make a superbowl once every 10-20 years...something, anything I think I would still have some passion even with the kiddos at home.

Outwardly they appear to do the right things sometimes, but it never works....there has to be something going on in the guts of the organization that is toxic.

No real mystery actually. Just decades of bad drafting, bad coaching and bad ownership

17 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Hey, I was once one of you.  I gave up on the Lions in 1983 when they refused to draft a quarterback (and not just any quarterback, but Dan Marino) and used their first-round pick on a fullback.  I came back with Barry Sanders -- who could not be a Barry fan? -- but turned against them completely when he had had enough of them and they refused to trade him, preferring to just let him retire.  And getting out when I did and despising them and deciding to root against them allowed me to enjoy the Matt Millen years and everything that has happened since while many around me have been weeping and wailing.

As I've said here before, the Lions have value to me because they provide much-needed comic relief in my life.  Unlike those who claim to be "Lions-free," I watch Lions games.  But unlike so many others in Detroit, I actually enjoy them.

I remember that '83 draft. Lions had a top-rated defense and rushing attack. They were horrid at QB with Danielson/Hipple. It wasn't just a need, it was potentially a missing piece. Both Marino and Jim Kelly were available, but yeah... they took James Jones. Before long they were a 4-win team. Next move: Hire Darryl “What does a guy have to do to get fired around here?” Rogers.

Before Matt Millen, there was Russ Thomas. Millen was likely the most hated GM by fans, but no GM was ever hated more by players than Thomas. His contract battles were notoriously toxic. People forget the Lions *almost* didn't sign Barry as a rookie – it went down to the wire. Thomas didn't want to pay him.

Like he always did, Ford just stood by and watched all this happen.

Anyway, whatever...  I still watch the games. It's in my DNA I guess

1 hour ago, number20 said:

I remember that '83 draft. Lions had a top-rated defense and rushing attack. They were horrid at QB with Danielson/Hipple. It wasn't just a need, it was potentially a missing piece. Both Marino and Jim Kelly were available, but yeah... they took James Jones. Before long they were a 4-win team. Next move: Hire Darryl “What does a guy have to do to get fired around here?” Rogers.

Before Matt Millen, there was Russ Thomas. Millen was likely the most hated GM by fans, but no GM was ever hated more by players than Thomas. His contract battles were notoriously toxic. People forget the Lions *almost* didn't sign Barry as a rookie – it went down to the wire. Thomas didn't want to pay him.

the year of the qb and the lions draft.....a FULLBACK.

lions in a nutshell.

5 hours ago, number20 said:

Yes, in that Year of the Quarterback, the Lions were -- as usual -- in desperate need of a QB.  They already had a great running back in your avatar Billy Sims.  And of the six quarterbacks who were taken in the first round, four of them were still on the board when the Lions made their selection.  And, as you noted, they included Jim Kelly (who would lead his team to four straight Super Bowls) and Dan Marino (who would become the most prolific passer in NFL history), both of whom are in the Hall of Fame.

And in a classic Lions move, they took a fullback. 

(By the way, regarding the notorious cheapskate Russ Thomas, it has been reported that his refusal to take a quarterback was based upon his belief that a QB  would demand more money than he wanted to pay, and certainly more than a fullback.)

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

Yes, in that Year of the Quarterback, the Lions were -- as usual -- in desperate need of a QB.  They already had a great running back in your avatar Billy Sims.  And of the six quarterbacks who were taken in the first round, four of them were still on the board when the Lions made their selection.  And, as you noted, they included Jim Kelly (who would lead his team to four straight Super Bowls) and Dan Marino (who would become the most prolific passer in NFL history), both of whom are in the Hall of Fame.

And in a classic Lions move, they took a fullback. 

(By the way, regarding the notorious cheapskate Russ Thomas, it has been reported that his refusal to take a quarterback was based upon his belief that a QB  would demand more money than he wanted to pay, and certainly more than a fullback.)

he took chuck long in the first round three years later.  i doubt it was him being cheap, more likely it was him being bad at his job.

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

he took chuck long in the first round three years later.  i doubt it was him being cheap, more likely it was him being bad at his job.

At that point, he may have had no choice.  Jim Kelly had just thrown for almost 10,000 yards and had tossed 83 touchdowns in two USFL seasons, and in the 1984 regular season Dan Marino had thrown for more than 5000 yards and 48 touchowns -- both NFL records --and added more than 1000 yards and eight touchdowns in the postseason, in which he led his team to the Super Bowl.  Even William Clay Ford had probably noticed that,.

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

and Long hurt his arm badly, pretty much right out of the box didn't he?

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

and Long hurt his arm badly, pretty much right out of the box didn't he?

He hurt his fans even worse. 

Slay and Lang both ruled out for Sunday.

40 minutes ago, kdog said:

Slay and Lang both ruled out for Sunday.

Damn. Now we might not win. 

I am eating this up with a spoon.  And washing it down with beer.

How about those Lions!