Sydney_Fife

Game 9: Heat @ Pistons

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

All I am hoping for is 43 wins and a playoff berth. 

East locks: Boston, Toronto, Philly, Milwaukee, Indiana. 

Bubble teams: Miami, Charlotte, Washington, Detroit 

Lottery: Brooklyn, Orlando, Chicago, Atlanta, New York, Cleveland 

4 teams fighting for 3 spots. One of those bubble teams will miss the playoffs and be in NBA ****. No playoffs and a low lottery pick. 

i would put brooklyn squarely in that bubble mix.

if chicago were healthy they would be there too.

the worst part about detroit is that this is it.  this is the team.  they dont have any up and coming players, they dont have a high lottery pick, they dont have a future.  the future is now: an aging blake and a limited andre.  this year and next and maybe the year after.

they need to strike gold in the draft or else this team is right back to where they started: nowhere.

9 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

I'm not saying the Pistons have a great roster or anything, but it's just baffling to me that guys like Galloway and Calderon are getting so many minutes.

Well, part of the problem with this game is that Bullock and Kennard, two of the better shooters on the team, were unavailable.

6 hours ago, Buddha said:

i would put brooklyn squarely in that bubble mix.

if chicago were healthy they would be there too.

the worst part about detroit is that this is it.  this is the team.  they dont have any up and coming players, they dont have a high lottery pick, they dont have a future.  the future is now: an aging blake and a limited andre.  this year and next and maybe the year after.

they need to strike gold in the draft or else this team is right back to where they started: nowhere.

Yup.

Trading for Blake wasn't in and of itself a poor choice.  The timing of it with the talent of the rest of the team doesn't jive.  It was a desperate move by a GM/coach that shouldn't had that dual role to begin with.

9 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Johnson should not get starter’s minutes. His role is an energy / defense guy off the bench for 15-20 minutes a game, and the only shots he should be given permission to take are put backs and layups. 

not to mention you already have one non-shooter playing 40 min and it's nutz to put two guys who can't shoot on the floor together in today's NBA.

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

Yup.

Trading for Blake wasn't in and of itself a poor choice.  The timing of it with the talent of the rest of the team doesn't jive.  It was a desperate move by a GM/coach that shouldn't had that dual role to begin with.

i also think the owner had a lot to do with it.  but that's just speculation on my part.  i think gores is attracted to shiny things and making the playoffs regardless of what that means for the long term health of the franchise.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i also think the owner had a lot to do with it.  but that's just speculation on my part.  i think gores is attracted to shiny things and making the playoffs regardless of what that means for the long term health of the franchise.

I completely agree with you about this.

And I guess just to further the discussion on Gores, I'm not confident he's the guy to build a longer term sustainable franchise under.  I just don't have that confidence in him.  That might be unfair on my part, but that's just my opinion at this time.

The goal right now is to make the playoffs.  Maybe advance to the conference semis.  And then what?  Griffin ages out.  And there's no youthful nucleus to build upon after that (unless there is a complete 180 in drafting and developing than we have seen lately).

If we have Booker instead of Stanley, this team would be a lock for the playoffs and have a shot at 4-5 territory in the playoffs. They are one good wing player away from being a solid team.

Korver is available in Cleveland. He's a much better option than Stanley.

47 minutes ago, Buddha said:

I not only agree, I thought this was pretty much "common knowledge" at the time.

I never had high hopes for this team. Even when they were 4-0, I didn't start jamming and think this team was suddenly going to win 45 games. But to see them 4-5 already is semi-depressing. They could've at least won one or two of those games and kept the spirit of staying above .500 alive at least until mid-November.

This is what they are, perfectly mediocre.  Win 4, lose 5, compete with a really good team on occasion, lose to a bad team on occasion, mediocre coach, mediocre roster, mediocre young talent.  Pretty much a 39-43 win team with no real room for growth.  Until they rid of a bad contract or two and/or hit on a draft pick, this is what they will be for the foreseeable future. 

They might make the playoffs but who cares? It's a one and done team, the definition of a team in NBA purgatory.  Is there another team that is as stuck in the mud as this franchise is?  One can argue Orlando but they have more promising youth, Sacramento, Phoenix, the NY teams etc., all of them have more promising youth and a future to look forward to.