Gehringer_2

November 2018 Game Threads

6 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Wings had some pretty good chances in the final minute but lose 2-1.

The penalty shots were good calls, but the Wings probably would have been better off with the man advantage. Before they picked up the pace in the 3rd they had a ton of trouble  with Ottawa closing two fore checkers on the puck. They have to see that coming and get a second pass away faster.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The penalty shots were good calls, but the Wings probably would have been better off with the man advantage. Before they picked up the pace in the 3rd they had a ton of trouble  with Ottawa closing two fore checkers on the puck. They have to see that coming and get a second pass away faster.

It would be neat to see if any teams would decline a penalty shot in favour of a 2-minute PP if they had the option. Straight percentages are in the penalty shot's favor (30% shootout goals percentage vs 20% pp league-wide), but circumstances and hunches I guess could play a part for some people.

This game has been largely boring from the Wings' perspective, but Cholowski made a niceeeee play and pass to Glendening for his goal.  That kid has really impressed. 

The way the Devils came out in the OT I thought they were just trying kill the clock and go the the shoot-out. Pretty goal  for the winner. Mantha and Larkin got the Devil's defender in no-man's land, failed to play the man or take away the pass.

It sounds like Helm will be out for a while with an injury, upper body after a check from behind-ish (I didn't see it, apparently he was falling as he got hit so not dirty).  Rasmussen also got hit hard and was in A LOT of pain on the bench in the third, but I can't find any updates on him.

I hope they bring up some skill from GR if both are out... plugging in De La Rose and Megan doesn't exactly help the top six.

Listened to parts of the 1st period in my car and the NJ announcers were raving about Larkin. "Picks up the points but also plays the body. Love how he takes the man. He's wearing the A this season with speculation that he'll be captain next year. What are they waiting for, give it to him now".