Gehringer_2

November 2018 Game Threads

I know they were probably going to wait until next season, but why should they............just give Larkin the "C" already.  He's earning it every night.  

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

... Nyquist boosting trade value with 14th point in 16 games.

Kenny, do it NOW!!!

I know Mantha is a big guy, but he looked like he spent this game just floating - it would be nice to see at least a little more energy out of him. Still, it's nice to see a Wings team that is occasionally the aggressor late in periods/games after too many years when they played the end of every period like they were just hanging on for dear life. Not clear these kids are getting the message about next yrs draft choice. 

Wings AGAIN come back from 2 down. Mantha's two 3rd period goals have tied it at 3-3 with 3:22 minutes left in regulation. Canes heading towards 50 shots on goal against Bernier - 48 right now. Canes PP coming up.

Mantha absolutely robbed of the hat trick by a Darling save in OT.   

But Nielsen's shootout goal is the difference as the Wings win their 6th game of the past 7. Points standings show them 24th of the 31-team league, but a few of those right behind them have multiple games in hand. The Wings still have a bottom-5 record ... for now.

The shootout in full:

McGinn's shot was pretty funny to me for some reason, might be Mickey's reaction.

9 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Mantha absolutely robbed of the hat trick by a Darling save in OT.   

But Nielsen's shootout goal is the difference as the Wings win their 6th game of the past 7. Points standings show them 24th of the 31-team league, but a few of those right behind them have multiple games in hand. The Wings still have a bottom-5 record ... for now.

The Nielsen goal in the shootout was just so pretty. 

Too many wins. 

It's very early in the season so this is an even less meaningful but fun fact than ever, but only 2 of the year 2000 and later Cup winning franchises are among the 16 teams currently in playoff position. Boston (2011) and Tampa (2004). Or going back a quarter-century, only 3 (add Dallas 1999) of the post-1993 Cup winning franchises.

If Blashill can figure out what it takes to get this team to play the 1st period like they play the 3rd they are not going to be a bottom feeder team. I just don't know if that is the good news or the bad news.

Nyquist might be playing his way into a contract.

He's been playing well, though I wish he wasn't quite so in love with his little behind the back blind pass. Pretty play in its place,  but too many of Gus' end up as turnovers.

This mirrors the Tigers start a bit. Give the fans some positives until reality hits later in the season. As long as the young players are driving the success, it's good.

Chychrun is back in the lineup against Detroit tonight and apparently is about to sign a 6 year deal worth $27.6m.  If he blossoms into a top pairing guy quickly that'll be a steal but still.... Now we see him vs Cholo!

Wings 3-0 after 1. Cholowski, Rasmussen and Mantha.

Wings are just faster than these guys. 

4-0 after 2. Couldn't ask for a better group of 3 I'd want to score the first 3 goals than Cholowski, Rasmussen and Mantha. A point for Larkin. Let's find a point for Nyquist in the 3rd. 

I do think the Wings' goaltending will falter at some point this season and the losses will pile up.

Athanasioui steps out of the penalty box right onto a loose puck all by himself - easy peasy , 5-0