Gehringer_2

November 2018 Game Threads

I hope Quenneville and Yzerman for whatever reason have developed a friendship over the years.

would he come to detroit and take on such a huge rebuilding job?  more likely to go back to st. louis, no?

and let's not forget that quenneville was always the guy who could never get over the hump (i.e.: the red wings) until scotty hired him in chicago and let him work with the best starting five in hockey for six years (why would you want marian hossa when you can have johan franzen?)

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

would he come to detroit and take on such a huge rebuilding job?  more likely to go back to st. louis, no?

and let's not forget that quenneville was always the guy who could never get over the hump (i.e.: the red wings) until scotty hired him in chicago and let him work with the best starting five in hockey for six years (why would you want marian hossa when you can have johan franzen?)

I don't think the Wings by May of 2019 will be far behind if at all where the Leafs were when Babcock was hired in May of 2015. Whereas the Blues may be where the Wings were around 2012-2013. If Yzerman becomes the next GM next spring, he surely will ditch Blashill on Day 1. So if Quenneville is available, he's certainly worth a look IMO.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't want Quenneville.

why not?

Canucks in Detroit tonight to play the Wings. Vancouver very excited about rookie phenom Elias Pettersson. Drafted #5 overall in the 2017 draft and may be the best player in that draft, ahead even of Hischier. Tore up the Swedish league last year. Debuting in the NHL this year, he has 9 goals and 15 points in his first 9 games.

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Canucks in Detroit tonight to play the Wings. Vancouver very excited about rookie phenom Elias Pettersson. Drafted #5 overall in the 2017 draft and may be the best player in that draft, ahead even of Hischier. Tore up the Swedish league last year. Debuting in the NHL this year, he has 9 goals and 15 points in his first 9 games.

Serious question - do people think the Wings are playing below their talent level? Or in other words - what is the knock on Blashill at this point?

The background for me is that I used to be a pretty serious Hockey fan, but over the years style of play and then bad Wings teams drained the interest. I'm sort of easing  back in.

I do not think the Wings are playing below their level.  I think we are seeing is their prospects are not difference makers and explains why they weren't promoted as aggressively as fans hoped / desired.

It ties into why I don't want Quenneville.  I do not think they have the developed talent to benefit from a stern, attention to detail coach. Basically he would burn himself or the young guys out because the results won't be there regardless.

They need 2 or 3 good drafts before there is any real upside potential, and then they could benefit from a Babcock / Quenneville type coach.

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Canucks in Detroit tonight to play the Wings.

games goes to OT, Vancouver basically just plays not to lose and it goes to a shootout. 

Larkin makes his attempt - Howard stones them on the shoot out. 2pt for the Wings.

and if Blashill is underachieving a little bit, I'm ok with it. They are unintentionally tanking right now. 

I didn't see the first but in the post games players admitted they came out too slow. They let down a bit midway in the third and I thought they would give up a goal for sure, but recovered enough to get to OT.

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I didn't see the first but in the post games players admitted they came out too slow. They let down a bit midway in the third and I thought they would give up a goal for sure, but recovered enough to get to OT.

They only had like 7 or so shots with about 8 minutes gone in the second, something like that.  It was tough to watch. 

Larkin gets the day off from practice today, hopefully the knee injury he got isn't serious.

49 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

They only had like 7 or so shots with about 8 minutes gone in the second, something like that.  It was tough to watch. 

Larkin gets the day off from practice today, hopefully the knee injury he got isn't serious.

Hopefully it won't get in his way, but Larkin is definitely the most emotionally expressive player on the team - whether or not that means he is the most driven is never quite so clear.

4 hours ago, kdog said:

and if Blashill is underachieving a little bit, I'm ok with it. They are unintentionally tanking right now. 

Yeah, I think a new coach would do a few points better per season but that's it, and those are points we don't need at this point.

Away from the standings, I worry a bit about player development and correction of bad habits, who knows whether or not Blashill is adequate.

17 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

They need 2 or 3 good drafts before there is any real upside potential, and then they could benefit from a Babcock / Quenneville type coach.

Yeah - if you had a second defense pairing no worse than say - Dekeyser and Cholowski, and two forwards good enough to bump the current #1 line to #2 and they would be a very good team - that's basically coming up with 4 players where two of them are at least as good as anyone they have now - plus replacing regular age and FA losses. Not impossible but still a tall order to do in 2 or 3 yrs. I suppose you get close you can get one or two of those guys as FAs.

I have no good way to judge if Blashill is under achieving or not.  I have to trust the upper management on it and I can't imagine he would still be here if they thought he was a poor development coach.

There is some scuttlebutt about giving Howard a contract extension. If it's 2 years $3-4 million per, I might be ok with it.Anything longer or for more money would be bad.

The Wings' organizational depth at the NHL and prospects level is even weaker in net than it is on defense. If not Howard after this year, will need a Howard equivalent. So Howard for 2 years would be fine. Look for a top goalie after that when the Wings are better. I'd rather pay a bit more for 2 years than get a bargain price for 3 years. 

I was hoping Bernier would be okay enough to start the next couple of years but he hasn't looked great to me.

1 hour ago, drownwithyou said:

The Rangers ran dump and chase on their power play, yuck.

While the Wings power play looked pretty good on a few occasions when I popped my head in. Like how Cholowski skates right in. Didn't score though and the Rangers converted a couple of times late in the period. 2-0 after 2.

And they get it! Larkin maintains his point per game pace by scoring in the dying seconds of OT to win it. Nyquist boosting trade value with 14th point in 16 games.