Sign in to follow this  
Sydney_Fife

Game 7: Pistons @ Nets

6 hours ago, Buddha said:

i cant blame stan for cutting ties with dinwiddie.  he looked so bad in detroit.  i didnt think he was an nba player.  chicago cut him too. 

sometimes guys just develop late and no one sees it coming.

You never know when a guy is going to mature, and quite frequently it takes a change of team to make it happen.

And gosh, it's not like he's a flat out HOFer! If he was never a Piston, everyone here would've talked about how some silly sub named Dinwiddie schooled us. Who the heck is this guy that's torching us and not expect it to happen ever again.

He's an ex-Piston so we'll have a tendency to over-amplify it. Yes, he was a decisive factor to beating the Pistons, but even now is he a guy I cry about that we let go? No. He's a guy getting reasonable playing time on a team that will probably have to fight to get into the playoffs if they get there.  To this point he's eight games into the season, hasn't even started a game and had two really good games against the team that he has great motivation to want to crush. Maybe he'll keep it up, maybe not. He's certainly not this great "known entity" by any stretch.

I'll check in to what he's doing in January. If he looks like a sixth-man of the year candidate then, maybe I'll cry a little. But even if that does happen, he's not a Piston any more and I'm not going to pretend now that I "saw this coming" when he was a Piston.

I can't agree with that. He started 58 games for the Nets last year and his numbers (eFG%, Assist/TO, ortg) have been on par or better than Reggie Jackson's at 2M/year compared to Reggie's terrible contract. This isn't a one time explosion for Dinwiddie. He's been a decent player for the past couple seasons.

41 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I can't agree with that. He started 58 games for the Nets last year and his numbers (eFG%, Assist/TO, ortg) have been on par or better than Reggie Jackson's at 2M/year compared to Reggie's terrible contract. This isn't a one time explosion for Dinwiddie. He's been a decent player for the past couple seasons.

You said it yourself - he's a decent player. I don't think I disagree with that. But then Pistons' fans are going to polarize it because he used to be "our guy," wasn't really given a chance here and then he went off against the Pistons in two games and was the main factor down the stretch why the Pistons lost. I'll wait to see what Dinwiddie is doing in January before proclaiming him a future NBA star. Maybe it'll happen, but I think your classification of "decent" is more likely.

Oh, I don't think he'll be a star. But when your starting PG is only "decent" while getting paid 15M and you let go of another "decent" starting PG who's way younger, still improving, and only costs 2M...well, that hurts.

21 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Oh, I don't think he'll be a star. But when your starting PG is only "decent" while getting paid 15M and you let go of another "decent" starting PG who's way younger, still improving, and only costs 2M...well, that hurts.

Understood.