Jump to content

Motor City Sonics

Golden Tate to Philly

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, kdog said:

I'm still waiting for Quinn to make the finishing moves to make this team legitimately good. I thought the offseason was good to very good for the offense and poor defensively. Along with some poor defensive draft picks not developing,  there is still a lot of work to be on done on that side. This draft pick will help. They weren't going to re-sign Tate at age 31 no matter how popular he was. And the compensation pick wouldn't come until 2020. In vacuum, it's a smart move.

Where is Vacuum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I’ll always remember that catch Tate made at the 1 against Atlanta after running a bad route and costing the lions the game. 

#neverforget #alwaysremember

You mean the infamous refs "Oops, we screwed up and called it wrong, so now we're going to fix it, oh, and run off 10 seconds because of our mistake so the game is over because we made the wrong call initially and you don't get a chance to run one more play, sorry" game?*

(*To be fair it wasn't the refs fault... they did the right thing according to the rule book, it's just that the rule book was stupid.)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to give credit to Mayhew on this one. Probably his best move as GM. 4.5 years of great WR play at a reasonable cost and finish getting a 3rd round pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

You mean the infamous refs "Oops, we screwed up and called it wrong, so now we're going to fix it, oh, and run off 10 seconds because of our mistake so the game is over because we made the wrong call initially and you don't get a chance to run one more play, sorry" game?*

(*To be fair it wasn't the refs fault... they did the right thing according to the rule book, it's just that the rule book was stupid.)

Thats the catch. How dare tate let the refs screw us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

You mean the infamous refs "Oops, we screwed up and called it wrong, so now we're going to fix it, oh, and run off 10 seconds because of our mistake so the game is over because we made the wrong call initially and you don't get a chance to run one more play, sorry" game?*

(*To be fair it wasn't the refs fault... they did the right thing according to the rule book, it's just that the rule book was stupid.)

Yeah, that one. Or as I like to call it “the one where Tate couldn’t have just made sure he was in the end zone when he caught the ball on what was likely to be the final play of the game that even if the refs called it correctly on the field would have resulted in a fire drill to get to the line and clock it and where the lions would have still needed to make a play even if they could pull that off.”

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this trade for many of the aforementioned reasons, most notably that Tate was going to walk for nothing at season's end at age 31. Does this trade mean that Riddick could move into the slot now or does one or both of Powell/Jones fill that roll?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I like this trade for many of the aforementioned reasons, most notably that Tate was going to walk for nothing at season's end at age 31. Does this trade mean that Riddick could move into the slot now or does one or both of Powell/Jones fill that roll?

I had been thinking of moving Riddick to the slot. Johnson seems capable of being an every down back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jones restructuring is interesting to me.  Why did they ask him to restructure today before the deadline? Makes me think that something might be in the works or is it just a coincidence that he decided to restructure today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The Jones restructuring is interesting to me.  Why did they ask him to restructure today before the deadline? Makes me think that something might be in the works or is it just a coincidence that he decided to restructure today.

Dez Bryant?

 

Kidding...........Kidding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised none of these teams needing a WR didn't take a chance on Dez Bryant.

In other news, Ty Montgomery was traded for a 7th rounder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The Jones restructuring is interesting to me.  Why did they ask him to restructure today before the deadline? Makes me think that something might be in the works or is it just a coincidence that he decided to restructure today.

The deadline has passed now and doesn't appear to be any other moves. It was interesting timing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The deadline has passed now and doesn't appear to be any other moves. It was interesting timing.

I don't get why they needed the cap savings today.  A small part of me, the hopelessly optimistic part which thought this team was for real before the Seattle game, was thinking that they might land Peterson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I don't get why they needed the cap savings today.  A small part of me, the hopelessly optimistic part which thought this team was for real before the Seattle game, was thinking that they might land Peterson.

It’s possible they had another deal in the works that just didn’t pan out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was really scared that the Lions would give a 31 year old slot receive a big contract in the offseason, so while it sucks not having him for the rest of the year, having a 3rd round pick instead of that sounds great.

With Jones and Golladay they can't afford to spend big money on a #3 WR, no matter how dynamic he is, use that money on every defensive lineman and cornerback this offseason and I'll be happy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Shelton said:

It’s possible they had another deal in the works that just didn’t pan out. 

Also possible that they knew they weren't going to re-sign him, so they got something better than the compensatory pick they would have (4th or 5th Round?).     Now they get to see if T.J. Jones or Brandon Powell are worth signing long term.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think every single one of the beat writers is pouting about the deal. Tate must have been their best source of quotes, and background material. 

The writers all complain about the negative message it sends to the team. Well, didn’t Quinn also send a positive message by trading for Harrison? So did those messages cancel each other out and make it like BQ never sent any message at all?

Why don’t the writers talk about the message the players have been sending: “We are maddeningly inconsistent.” Tate, as much as I respect him, certainly was an uneven performer. He was the YAC King, it is true, but dropped a pass in the red zone against Dallas, and caught just seven balls on twelve targets for 50 yards against Seattle. (Random thought: Did BQ trade Tate to keep JBC and Stafford from using Tate and a short passing game instead of developing the running game?)

Bottom line to the beat guys: The players, especially on offense, are good enough to be a top five scoring team. They have been sending the message that they aren’t disciplined enough to do it. That’s been the most important message of the season so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Also possible that they knew they weren't going to re-sign him, so they got something better than the compensatory pick they would have (4th or 5th Round?).     Now they get to see if T.J. Jones or Brandon Powell are worth signing long term.    

Wasn’t talking about Tate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

I think every single one of the beat writers is pouting about the deal. Tate must have been their best source of quotes, and background material. 

The writers all complain about the negative message it sends to the team. Well, didn’t Quinn also send a positive message by trading for Harrison? So did those messages cancel each other out and make it like BQ never sent any message at all?

Why don’t the writers talk about the message the players have been sending: “We are maddeningly inconsistent.” Tate, as much as I respect him, certainly was an uneven performer. He was the YAC King, it is true, but dropped a pass in the red zone against Dallas, and caught just seven balls on twelve targets for 50 yards against Seattle. (Random thought: Did BQ trade Tate to keep JBC and Stafford from using Tate and a short passing game instead of developing the running game?)

Bottom line to the beat guys: The players, especially on offense, are good enough to be a top five scoring team. They have been sending the message that they aren’t disciplined enough to do it. That’s been the most important message of the season so far. 

the real message would have been trading for a long snapper.  put everyone on notice.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

They shouldn't use too much capital at right guard, unless they can get a top notch guy.  I think Ansah should be on the table, if his injuries project to improve.  If not, then they could get a 3rd round comp pick for him, depending on free agency.  Corner is a position of need, although I'm high on Tracey Walker at safety, and think the Lions are in good shape there.  OLB is another part time position that I would need to make sure the player fits with ability.  I can never have enough DT's, and pass rushers.  That's where I'm at with the defense right now.  Not interested in free agency, hoping to fix defense in the draft.

what gives you any hope that ansah's injuries will improve?  the dude does not want to play football anymore and any team that signs him to more than a one year prove it deal is burning money.

the lions had no choice and now look where it got them.  he's played 19 snaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Buddha said:

what gives you any hope that ansah's injuries will improve?  the dude does not want to play football anymore and any team that signs him to more than a one year prove it deal is burning money.

the lions had no choice and now look where it got them.  he's played 19 snaps.

He's injured. Show me where he's shown that he doesn't want to play? He's going to be a bargain next year on a one year deal. That might not get the Lions a good enough comp pick, so I'm signing him to a 1 year deal. He might want to leave, knowing the Lions can't tag him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,125
    • Total Posts
      2,823,355
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×