Motor City Sonics

Golden Tate to Philly

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

and cap space.   Tate and Ziggy off the books next year and not a lot of rising contracts from players this year.  They will have money to pursue some really good players.    What, four picks in the first 3 rounds now?   If they hit on 3 of them and sign 3 starting players in free agency they can vastly improve in one year. 

They had traded away their 3rd this year for the right to select Hand in the fourth last year.  That was a splendid deal.

The Lions had a chance to show they were a serious team at home on Sunday and they crapped the bed.   Season IS over.

Would you rather play to be 9-7 this year or to be 11-5 the next couple of years?  

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't see this as giving up on the season at all. With the Lions being more committed to the run that meant that there were fewer targets to go around so WR became expendable.  Might as well trade the one that is a free agent.   I think this is a great trade and actually a proactive move from Lions management for a change. 

Agree with this. 

The lions are going to need some luck to make the playoffs whether Tate was here or not. They need to go 6-3 or 7-2 to make the playoffs. 

What are the odds they do that? Maybe 20%? How much do those odds change with or without Tate? I doubt it changes much. 

And if they venture into free agency with this cap space, there is no guarantee they get a compensation pick. 

I have no idea what his contract situation is like but the Broncos just got  a 4th for Demaryius Thomas so a 3rd for half of season of Tate looks like a pretty good return. 

theyre going to need another cb, lb, safety, and probably offensive guard.  not to mention defensive end.

they have a few years left of stafford's prime to take advantage of.  next year and the year after should be years the lions are there or getting close to winning.  if theyre ever going to do it with stafford.

I’ll always remember that catch Tate made at the 1 against Atlanta after running a bad route and costing the lions the game. 

#neverforget #alwaysremember

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

A third round pick is not nothing. 

Maybe they'll use it to draft a defender who can stop a punter from getting a first down on fourth and eight.  But I hope not, because I loved that play so much I want to see it happen again.

The Lions provide some much-needed comic relief in my life, and that play was one of their funniest bits yet.  Had me laughing out loud.

2 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Maybe they'll use it to draft a defender who can stop a punter from getting a first down on fourth and eight.  But I hope not, because I loved that play so much I want to see it happen again.

The Lions provide some much-needed comic relief in my life, and that play was one of their funniest bits yet.  Had me laughing out loud.

I missed that play.   I was self-lancing a boil in the bathroom because it was too cold and wet to rake leaves and I needed something less painful than watching the Lions to do.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Apparently Marvin Jones restricted his deal to save cap space.

Might need MCS on call to start another thread when the third shoe drops. 

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I missed that play.   I was self-lancing a boil in the bathroom because it was too cold and wet to rake leaves and I needed something less painful than watching the Lions to do.

I was surprised the Seahawks decided to show that play there. It wouldve taken a miracle for them to lose the game anyway so I would've saved that play for a game or situation where it wouldve had a bigger impact on a game.

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I was surprised the Seahawks decided to show that play there. It wouldve taken a miracle for them to lose the game anyway so I would've saved that play for a game or situation where it wouldve had a bigger impact on a game.

I think it was just a read by the punter. I think he would've taken the safety if the run wasn't available. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

I think it was just a read by the punter. I think he would've taken the safety if the run wasn't available. 

You're probably right,  that makes more sense.

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Do you mean "restructured"?  

Yeah. Interesting it happens now. When is the deadline? Maybe there is another trade in the works. 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yeah. Interesting it happens now. When is the deadline? Maybe there is another trade in the works. 

4 p.m.

46 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Fam favorite trade away for nothing. Best player on offense and the one that hustles the most. 

That's taking it to a bit of an extreme... 

Fan favorite? Yes, certainly.

But a 3rd rounder isn't "nothing" especially thing seemed to be pointing to the Lions not trying to resign Tate this off season.  Better to get a solid 3rd rounder for them than to see what compensation pick you might maybe get for him if he was truly gone after this season.

Best player on offense? You might argue that, but I think it would be easy to put Stafford ahead of him, and Johnson is certainly making a case for being ahead of Tate.  One could argue Golladay as well, but I wouldn't put him ahead of Tate... yet.

Hustles the most? That's I'll give you.

Tate is the best at walking into the end zone that I've ever seen.

I'll miss that guy. He was a legit weapon, and fun to watch after the catch. Gave us some productive years. But I agree with the move

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Buddha said:

theyre going to need another cb, lb, safety, and probably offensive guard.  not to mention defensive end.

Yeah I'm wondering how much longer Lang is going to last

They shouldn't use too much capital at right guard, unless they can get a top notch guy.  I think Ansah should be on the table, if his injuries project to improve.  If not, then they could get a 3rd round comp pick for him, depending on free agency.  Corner is a position of need, although I'm high on Tracey Walker at safety, and think the Lions are in good shape there.  OLB is another part time position that I would need to make sure the player fits with ability.  I can never have enough DT's, and pass rushers.  That's where I'm at with the defense right now.  Not interested in free agency, hoping to fix defense in the draft.

26 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Pete Carroll said the play call was to take a safety, but when the punter saw that he had the open field to get the first down, he took advantage of it.  Great move, because taking the safety and just handing the Lions a run-of-the-mill loss would have been boring, and that play really perked me up.