Motor City Sonics

Golden Tate to Philly

Well, I suppose it's been than a 2nd rounder given how those turn out for the Lions.  And it's better than just letting him walk at the end of the year I guess, but does this mean the Lions are waving the white flag on 2018?

Just now, Euphdude said:

Odd to see the Lions give up on the season after 7 games. 

I agree... it's usually after 4 or 5 games.  :)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

I don’t think trading Tate means they are giving up on the season.

Tate was targeted a nice 69 times this season with an 11.8 average. Plenty of targets for Golladay to absorb. Now if they had a good tight end to occupy the middle of the field it would be ideal.

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t think trading Tate means they are giving up on the season.

Let me rephrase - the Lions don't feel like they can compete for the division title or make a run for the playoffs, and I agree with that.  I have no problem with this trade.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Euphdude said:

I don’t see it this way. 

Thinking of it in the short term, Golladay had one target on Sunday. He is underutilized. Also, Abdullah proved he can not handle KR duties, so it wouldn’t surprise me if BQ and MP decided they needed to activate Powell to handle that, and will work him into the slot. 

Long term, they were not likely to re-sign Tate. BQ has gotten two starters (Glasgow and Golladay) and a future starter (Walker) in his three drafts in the third round. (Not to mention Hand in the 4th.) Another 3rd round pick is huge. 

Either way, this was a bold move. I’m sure the team and city will miss Tate, who is a class act. But I like that BQ is not afraid to make moves like this. 

9 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Let me rephrase - the Lions don't feel like they can compete for the division title or make a run for the playoffs, and I agree with that.  I have no problem with this trade.

And I still disagree that this move means what you are saying.

I'm still waiting for Quinn to make the finishing moves to make this team legitimately good. I thought the offseason was good to very good for the offense and poor defensively. Along with some poor defensive draft picks not developing,  there is still a lot of work to be on done on that side. This draft pick will help. They weren't going to re-sign Tate at age 31 no matter how popular he was. And the compensation pick wouldn't come until 2020. In vacuum, it's a smart move.

I know some people might not see it now but this is for the best. It's more than likely that his best years are behind him and the Lions weren't going to re-sign him so time to look towards next season and get some value for him rather than take the likely 5th round compensatory pick.  They'll now have plenty of money freed up from the Tate and Ansah contracts to build the defense. 

This kind of sucks for the rest of this season but I think the Seattle loss sunk them and management knows it.  Good for Tate as well, gets a shot to make a Super Bowl run.

Fam favorite trade away for nothing. Best player on offense and the one that hustles the most. 

Not giving up on the season.    But building for the future.   

They really aren't that good.    He is a #2 receiver who would have wanted #1 money.    This is the move they should have made when Suh was around.  

that's a great trade.  they would never have gotten a 3rd as a comp pick.

Time for Golladay to graduate. And give TJ Jones/Powell a shot in the slot.

recoups the third they gave up for Hand in last year's draft.

2 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Fam favorite trade away for nothing. Best player on offense and the one that hustles the most. 

A third round pick is not nothing. 

8 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Their best player on offense is #9, a 3rd round pick is not nothing and there's a lot more that goes into trades like this than "trading a good player for nothing" like free agency status for one.

Just now, NYLion said:

Their best player on offense is #9, a 3rd round pick is not nothing and there's a lot more that goes into trades like this than "trading a good player for nothing" like free agency status for one.

and cap space.   Tate and Ziggy off the books next year and not a lot of rising contracts from players this year.  They will have money to pursue some really good players.    What, four picks in the first 3 rounds now?   If they hit on 3 of them and sign 3 starting players in free agency they can vastly improve in one year. 

I don't see this as giving up on the season at all. With the Lions being more committed to the run that meant that there were fewer targets to go around so WR became expendable.  Might as well trade the one that is a free agent.   I think this is a great trade and actually a proactive move from Lions management for a change. 

13 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Third best receiver.  Not even close to best player.

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

and cap space.   Tate and Ziggy off the books next year and not a lot of rising contracts from players this year.  They will have money to pursue some really good players.    What, four picks in the first 3 rounds now?   If they hit on 3 of them and sign 3 starting players in free agency they can vastly improve in one year. 

I meant to add cap space too. They're set up really well going forward, this team could contend next season if Quinn plays the offseason right.  I'm actually surprised that Quinn had the balls to do this in the middle of the season, very smart move IMO.