Motor City Sonics

Game 7: Seattle Seahawks @ Detroit Lions: Snacks Time

13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Matthew Stafford is the best QB the Lions have had in my lifetime (I am 53), but honestly, look at the dregs we've had at QB - so that might not mean much and I am starting to think maybe it's time to consider moving on from Matthew Stafford and really rebuilding this thing.    I think we've seen his best and I don't think we'll see it again.    He seems to be slipping a bit this year.  

and I really haven't been a STAFFORD SUCKS guy, but I don't know, I think this record against good teams and lack of a playoff win are indicators that he's not as great as we think he is.  

This is SOL rebuild thinking.  Stafford is not our problem.  He is above average and can be damn good at times.  We do not need to start over at that position.  We have a good receiving core right now, seemingly found the answer at RB...our skill positions are fine.  We need to work on ST and the trenches.  A couple guys..we are literally a couple guys away from being pretty good IMO.

Using a team stat (wins) as an indicator of how good a single player on a team consisting of 52 guys is worthless.

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

This is SOL rebuild thinking.  Stafford is not our problem.  He is above average and can be damn good at times.  We do not need to start over at that position.  We have a good receiving core right now, seemingly found the answer at RB...our skill positions are fine.  We need to work on ST and the trenches.  A couple guys..we are literally a couple guys away from being pretty good IMO.

Using a team stat (wins) as an indicator of how good a single player on a team consisting of 52 guys is worthless.

He's been a constant for a decade.   And this team really hasn't been good for a decade.   Maybe it's time to move on.     He's Tony Clark. 

To me - this last game was a true indicator of the MSDS - Matthew Stafford Deception Syndrome.     In the 4th quarter the FOX team put up the comparison graphic and the announcer said "Wilson and Stafford both having good games" but to say those two were on the same planet that day is ridiculous.   Much of Stafford's numbers came in garbage time with Seattle playing conservative and protecting a big lead.   That's a lot of Stafford's numbers right there.    Tony Clark was like that for the Tigers.  You'd look at his stats at the end of the year and they looked pretty decent, but he never did anything in crunch time and the team never went anywhere with him as a leader.  Not all his fault, but he never stepped up to that next level.    Yeah, Stafford's pretty good, but that hasn't been good enough to be a real contender,  just good enough to give us a little hope and excitement and that's about it.    Come on, until he starts stealing games from the really good teams or until wins at least ONE playoff game, his numbers are pretty empty.     Not saying just dump him now, but saying maybe it's time to start thinking about something else.   And as far as untradable goes - teams have been known to do some silly things for a QB.   You might be able to fleece Gruden - who is looking for a QB - obviously. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

He's been a constant for a decade.   And this team really hasn't been good for a decade.   Maybe it's time to move on.     He's Tony Clark. 

9 years, made the playoffs 3 times and 2nd in the division 4 times in that span.  Not a goal most franchises strive for, but for the Lions it is a big deal..which is sad, but still better than what it was. 

The last time we even finished 2nd or better in the division was 1995.

Stafford is not the problem.  He is not the only mainstay that is somehow festering in the locker room.

QBR the last 4 years:

2018-16th

2017-7th

2016-8th

2015-15th

It is not time to move on...even the thought of it makes me cringe.  Change for changes sake because the team in under performing.  Man the NFL fans are the biggest group of schizophrenics ever.  Stafford is putting up historical type numbers, but somehow he is the reason we lose games?

The one thing the Lions have NEVER had is consistency....consistency anywhere on the field or the front office.  Let us wait until the end of the year and access then.

On 10/30/2018 at 3:02 PM, John_Brian_K said:

9 years, made the playoffs 3 times and 2nd in the division 4 times in that span.  Not a goal most franchises strive for, but for the Lions it is a big deal..which is sad, but still better than what it was. 

The last time we even finished 2nd or better in the division was 1995.

Stafford is not the problem.  He is not the only mainstay that is somehow festering in the locker room.

QBR the last 4 years:

2018-16th

2017-7th

2016-8th

2015-15th

It is not time to move on...even the thought of it makes me cringe.  Change for changes sake because the team in under performing.  Man the NFL fans are the biggest group of schizophrenics ever.  Stafford is putting up historical type numbers, but somehow he is the reason we lose games?

The one thing the Lions have NEVER had is consistency....consistency anywhere on the field or the front office.  Let us wait until the end of the year and access then.

The Lions consistently comes from their kickers. Somehow, we've had one quality kicker after another. By far their most consistent position over the last 30+ years. Sad.

On 10/31/2018 at 8:28 PM, Sports_Freak said:

The Lions consistently comes from their kickers. Somehow, we've had one quality kicker after another. By far their most consistent position over the last 30+ years. Sad.

Eddie Murray and Jason Hanson....2 of the best.

On 10/30/2018 at 1:04 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Same was said about John Elway and Steve Yzerman.

10 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Eddie Murray and Jason Hanson....2 of the best.

Eddie Murray was great except for the time they needed him most.    

Jason Hanson had a couple seasons where he was the best tackler on the team, and I am not even kidding.  He made some great textbook tackles on a few kickoffs.  

This Prater guy is great, but he'll do something stupid off the field and ruin it and we'll have to play with a bad kicker in a game where we need a good one.   That's the Lions.  

7 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Same was said about John Elway and Steve Yzerman.

Wrong.    John Elway and Steve  Yzerman were both considered elite players.   Anyone who considers Stafford elite is out of their mind.  He's good, but not great and certainly not elite.   

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Fans wanted them gone because the weren't winners.

To the Detroit fans’ credit, in that season when Scotty was flirting with trading yzerman to Ottawa, Scotty was booed mercilessly night opening night if I recall correctly. 

I think the Yzerman and Clark situations were different in that Clark was never a great player and no-one expected that what we got back for Clark if we traded him was going to turn the Tigers into a winner, it was more a matter of getting him "out of the way" because they should be able to find someone more usefully productive at a position where you need consistent production. I think fan frustration early in Yzerman's career was mostly about them not being able to put a team around him, and maybe if you put together a blockbuster trade with him you get back enough to be better overall. I don't think people thought we were going to replace him individually with anyone better. And of course, with Scotty, who knows if it wasn't all one big mind game to get inside Yzerman's head or not? Or both.

There were plenty of fans that wanted Stevie Y gone because he couldn't win in the playoffs.

And there was lots of national media dialogue around Elway not being a winner.

Point being is we as fans don't know.  You only make a trade if you think it brings back similar talent and sets the team up in a position to better compete.

Peyton Manning was another guy that wasn't considered a winner and "couldn't win the big game" until he of course showed everybody that he could.   

I get wanting to trade somebody if you don't think they are good but I never buy into the fact that a player can't win against good teams or in big games, you don't make it this far in your athletic career without winning some big games throughout your life.   Also in Stafford's case he put up good to great numbers in many of these games and played his *** off but other parts of the team let him down.  

23 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

There were plenty of fans that wanted Stevie Y gone because he couldn't win in the playoffs.

And there was lots of national media dialogue around Elway not being a winner.

Point being is we as fans don't know.  You only make a trade if you think it brings back similar talent and sets the team up in a position to better compete.

lest we forget, michael jeffrey jordan was once called a selfish loser who could never win the big game after he lost year after year after year to a certain team in detroit.

41 minutes ago, Buddha said:

lest we forget, michael jeffrey jordan was once called a selfish loser who could never win the big game after he lost year after year after year to a certain team in detroit.

yup - you can't ignore the degree to which sports are about match-ups. As long as the NBA was allowing hard defense, no wing was going beat a Piston team that had Rodman and Dumars with isolation. As long as those conditions held, MJ and the Bulls weren't going anywhere in that Division. Once they no longer did, the rest was history.  If JV had had to face playoff teams full of Billy Butlers, he'd have never won one.