kdog

Ilitch organization explores starting its own sports TV network

The Ilitch family is considering forming a regional television network dedicated to coverage of the Detroit Tigers and Red Wings professional sports franchises they own, The Detroit News has learned.

The network would not be launched until early in the next decade, after current Tigers-Red Wings contracts with Fox Sports Detroit have expired, said an executive with knowledge of the family’s preliminary plans. The source requested anonymity because of the potential project’s uncertain nature.

The Tigers and Ilitch Holdings declined comment Wednesday night.

Christopher Ilitch is president and CEO of Ilitch Holdings, Inc.

The Tigers and Red Wings have been airing on FSD for the past two decades, and in their peak years posted ratings that per-capita were among the best of any market in professional sports. They have consistently finished 1-2 in local prime-time programming during their regular-season schedules, even in recent years as both teams have fallen out of the playoffs and dealt with the desolation of rebuilding cycles

Not selling

19 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Interesting.

The other question is who buys out the FSN fanchises? NBC, Turner? 

I think Sinclair, AT&T, etc, have all been mentioned.

I cannot wait for the Detroit themed Pardon the Interruption show featuring Mario and Rod.

• Haha 1

I wonder if the existing FSN Franchises just whither away as contracts expire and Detroit is just the first to publicly announce their intentions....

This could be a leverage play to get a bigger rights fee once the Fox Sports assets are divested. The wings/tigers will surely want an ownership stake if they stay involved with that network.

It's the smart business move.   Leverage your assets to maximize your profit while controlling your destiny.

I'm sure that if invited Gores will be all in.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Interesting.

The other question is who buys out the FSN fanchises? NBC, Turner? 

If they're to be sold as a single group, it would probably be any of the major content producers or ISPs that don't have similar restrictions as Disney does.

If they were to be sold individually, the Ilitches could just offer to buy FSD to acquire the access to cable systems and broadcast rights that they would need to fill airtime while they get the local infrastructure built.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

It's the smart business move.   Leverage your assets to maximize your profit while controlling your destiny.

I'm sure that if invited Gores will be all in.

Gores could certainly finance it.

2 hours ago, clark1mt said:

If they're to be sold as a single group, it would probably be any of the major content producers or ISPs that don't have similar restrictions as Disney does.

If they were to be sold individually, the Ilitches could just offer to buy FSD to acquire the access to cable systems and broadcast rights that they would need to fill airtime while they get the local infrastructure built.

I would assume they really prefer to sell the whole thing as a network, other-wise it could just drag out too long. But what they want and what they can get........

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I would assume they really prefer to sell the whole thing as a network, other-wise it could just drag out too long. But what they want and what they can get........

I think nbc is well positioned to take all of the fox regional networks. They have a number of them operating already, and the online infrastructure and apps. And they have a lot of programming from nbcsn that could be used on the regional networks as well, much like how the fox networks show a lot of stuff that aired on fs1. 

Thats what I see happening at least. 

As for the tigers and wings, this pizza network sounds pretty good for the ilitches, although I wonder how good it would be for the teams. You don’t exactly get an arms length negotiation for rights. How much of the revenue goes to the ilitches and how is it distributed to the teams. 

I don’t know a lot about the yes network but my understanding is that it is owned by the yanks.

whatever. Eat at Arby’s. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

whatever. Eat at Arby’s. 

Not a fan, I prefer Hardees.

21 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Not a fan, I prefer Hardees.

But Arby's has all the meats.

5 minutes ago, Buddha said:

But Arby's has all the meats.

and they have Marcellus, and you don't argue with Marcellus. (who knew the attache was really full of sandwich meat?.....)

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

and they have Diamond Dog, and you don't argue with Diamond Dog. (who knew the attache was really full of sandwich meat?.....)

FTFY

PASS was fun in the summer...7 or so hours of baseball (including the repeat) and 17 hours of fishing shows and infomercials.  

10 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

If this leads to the potential of bringing back Rod, I am all for it.

I'm guessing you don't work in advertising.

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

I'm guessing you don't work in advertising.

He delivers nachos to ballplayers. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

If this leads to the potential of bringing back Rod, I am all for it.

Get over it.  He's done!

• Thanks 1

So, when they refer to “organization”, is the i a short i or a long i?  Is it the ‘Mercian organ i zation or hockey organ I zation?

On 10/27/2018 at 2:21 AM, Yoda said:

He delivers nachos to ballplayers. 

Finally, a job Rod could do.