Mikeshoe21

Lions Acquire Snacks!

Of course this doesn't include the 5th rounder for Snacks. Is this the 5th they got for Laken Tomlinson? Quinn deserves more kudos for essentially flipping Tomlinson for Snacks.

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Quinn's draft record doesn't look so bad now. Three drafts and got what looks to be two future stars in Johnson and Golladay, three starting OL, and all pro kick returner in the 5th prior to injury, and three players who still may be contributors or starters in Davis, Robinson and Tabor. They may have also remembered Michael Roberts still plays for them.

Don't forget about D'Shawn Hand who is playing at a near pro bowl level right now. 

If Ansah provides anything, this DL isn't too bad. There's a lot of beef in the middle to allow Ansah and Kennard rush the passer.

43 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Does anybody really believe that this would displace A'Shawn? 

i was responding to mcs's post.

46 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Does anybody really believe that this would displace A'Shawn?  What this does is give them the option to play the two together like the Vikings did with the Williams duo several years back or rotate them in and out and keep them fresh.

This team has drawn me back in.  I was feeling a bit apathetic earlier in the season and criticized Quinn for not doing much but he is coming up roses with the Ragnow/Kerryon draft and the Kennard, Okwara and Harrison pick ups.  They're going to need all the weapons they can get with this tough schedule coming up.

sopranos.jpg

• Haha 1

Just think how boring the Lions would be if they went deep into the playoffs every year. And if they were semi-favorites to make it to the SB. Like New England. Massive disappoint every season they don't win a championship.  No thanks, I'll take the SOL every year. /s

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I take back all my complaining about Quinn and Patricia. Quinn has been bold, and even when his moves have not worked (last year’s OL), he has not let that deter him from getting the job done. 

After all of the frustrations this offseason about how Quinn neglected the DL, it is clear he got a steal in Hand, and he pulled off a heist of Harrison. Astounding. 

And after a disastrous start to the season, Patricia has the team in the thick of the division race, with wins over two marquis franchises. Improbable. 

Let's not forget, Quinn traded Tomlinson for a 5th rounder in this draft that gave them an extra 5th to trade for Snacks. The pick going to New York is likely that very pick. Essentially, Tomlinson was traded for Snacks. I think people would have been happy if Tomlinson were traded literally for a bag of snacks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

See ya later, A'Shawn.  

Hasn't he been playing pretty solidly this year?  Sylvester Williams was the first name that popped in my head to be pushed down the pecking order.

Love this trade so much, I have to say I was too reactionary when judging BQ's defensive line building.  I too am back on this being sucked back in bandwagon...

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

i was responding to mcs's post.

My bad, I didn't see his post before replying to yours.  There's no way in **** they are getting rid of A'Shawn, he's still young and playing a lot better as of late (along with a lot of the other young D now that they are acclimating to Patricia's system).

Davis is getting better as well. Adding a DT the caliber of Snacks should help the performance of the pass rushers and linebackers. I'm surprised it only took a 5th rounder. I feel like there is more to the story. 

5 minutes ago, NYLion said:

My bad, I didn't see his post before replying to yours.  There's no way in **** they are getting rid of A'Shawn, he's still young and playing a lot better as of late (along with a lot of the other young D now that they are acclimating to Patricia's system).

Here’s a theory as to A’Shawn’s lackluster season so far:

”Initially, the team tried A’Shawn Robinson out at the position but it appeared as he struggled with the extra weight added in the offseason. Since he has gotten lighter, he is making a significant impact from the 3-technique.”

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/24/roster-impact-of-the-lions-acquiring-damon-snacks-harrison/

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

Does anybody really believe that this would displace A'Shawn?  What this does is give them the option to play the two together like the Vikings did with the Williams duo several years back or rotate them in and out and keep them fresh.

This team has drawn me back in.  I was feeling a bit apathetic earlier in the season and criticized Quinn for not doing much but he is coming up roses with the Ragnow/Kerryon draft and the Kennard, Okwara and Harrison pick ups.  They're going to need all the weapons they can get with this tough schedule coming up.

Winning 2 in a row and getting a dude like this will do that.

I'm still waiting for something to come up like him failing his physical or something cause we're not allowed to have nice things.

• Like 1

I don’t know if the fifth rounder is that out of whack for a return in this trade. NFL trades are weird. They are still relatively rare, even if they have seemed to increase lately. 

Like any trade, it depends on how many teams are interested and how interested a team is in dealing with another team. 

Then there is the salary cap to take I to account, not just this year but next year. I think the lions have done well to give themselves cap space so that they can add a guy like this. 

There are a lot of teams that are tanking or are otherwise not in need of a guy like him. Or at least not in enough need of a guy like him to justify giving up more than a fifth rounder and taking on the contract. 

Sometimes you just get lucky when your needs and ability to take a guy fit with another team who has the same type of player available. 

It’s a great deal for the lions. The giants might wish they could have done better, but you never know. Maybe they just couldn’t find another taker willing to beat that deal.

The Lions were probably going to go into free agency looking to spend on a DT anyways. Now they have that sewed up and no pressing need. Maybe knowing they have DT and the draft deep in DE, they can resign Tate.

With Tate possibly leaving, they should really try to make sure they win the super bowl this year. 

Just waiting for the media to call this line the Snack Pack with the trio of Snacks, Robinson and Hand in the middle.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Just waiting for the media to call this line the Snack Pack with the trio of Snacks, Robinson and Hand in the middle.

That promises to be a menacing trio in goal line situations. 

PS: As of 4:30 PM Eastern, DetroitLions.com has still not confirmed it. They even edited it out of Pete Carroll’s press remarks. 

Snacks was on Twitter saying good bye to New York and hello to Detroit. Didn't the Lions trade someone once and it was revealed had a brain tumor or something in the physical? I just think the Lions are playing it safe since it's not official yet.

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Snacks was on Twitter saying good bye to New York and hello to Detroit. Didn't the Lions trade someone once and it was revealed had a brain tumor or something in the physical? I just think the Lions are playing it safe since it's not official yet.

I’m sure you’re right... but I’ll feel better when they announce it officially.