ROMAD1

Directions and Objectives For A Future Mainstream Party

5 hours ago, Oblong said:

I don't get Charlie's beef... what's his problem with Nichols or Evan?  I get maybe they have differences on the best way forward but I see quite a few never trumpers in there.  Wilson, Kristol....  

I think it's sarcasm. Charlie's in the picture too.

yeah I think he's saying that b/c Trump specifically called Never Trumpers "Human Scum"

then his drunken spokeskank said everyone who doesn't support Trump is human scum.

6 hours ago, Oblong said:

I don't get Charlie's beef... what's his problem with Nichols or Evan?  I get maybe they have differences on the best way forward but I see quite a few never trumpers in there.  Wilson, Kristol....  

I think he's being sarcastic 

7 hours ago, Oblong said:

This deserves a good Emily Litellla

a8108dbc528815fb83a9d7da31ec9bf9.jpg?wid

• Like 1

Trump and his followers are killing off the GOP.  We knew that.

2 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

Trump and his followers are killing off the GOP.  We knew that.

Actually... not much change between 2016 and 2020. 29.37% versus 28.87%.

That appears to be less Trump and more they're just old and dying off. Or maybe a combination?

I would bet the percentage of independents is even higher than the chart suggests.  I think a lot of people who are registered Democrats and Republicans are really Independents who joined a party to vote in primaries and didn't bother changing back.   

11 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I would bet the percentage of independents is even higher than the chart suggests.  I think a lot of people who are registered Democrats and Republicans are really Independents who joined a party to vote in primaries and didn't bother changing back.   

I would also bet a decent percentage of independents are barely independent.

Meaning they will consistently vote for one party 90% of the time.  Their vote isn't up for grabs except in extreme circumstances.

11 hours ago, tiger337 said:

In the past, most people who identified as independents  have mostly not been. Surveys showed most of them were quite reliable for one party or the other but just no longer wanted to identify with a party as the general social disapproval of both parties increased.. It would be interesting how much that is now changing. I image to the extent that any significant number of Obama voters went for Trump it must have.

EDIT: Biggs in first!

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I would also bet a decent percentage of independents are barely independent.

Meaning they will consistently vote for one party 90% of the time.  Their vote isn't up for grabs except in extreme circumstances.

I agree , but I think that is different from being a tribal member who is loyal to the party no matter what.  I consider myself an independent who is loyal to neither party.  However, the gap between the two parties has become so huge that there is rarely any real choice to be made.  It's often the lesser of two evils.  

Sure it is different, but it isn't like they are often up for grabs either, which is what I think many presume when they hear independent.

I am not sure what I am registered as. I originally signed up as a democrat back in 1991.  Like 10 years ago the GOP asked me to be a delegate so I did.  I also voted in each sides primaries over the years.  Is there any way to check?

14 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I am not sure what I am registered as. I originally signed up as a democrat back in 1991.  Like 10 years ago the GOP asked me to be a delegate so I did.  I also voted in each sides primaries over the years.  Is there any way to check?

AFAIK, No one in MI is 'registered' by party. The State of Mi does not record your party affiliation - you just pick which party's ballot you want each time you vote in a primary (or which side of the ballot to vote in the 'open' August primary).

27 minutes ago, Oblong said:

There is no party affiliation in Michigan.

I think independants just want the attention. They also want to come off as enlightened and feel superior that they aren't one of the sheeps who belongs to a tribe. I will always be a Democrat as long as they continue to support single payer health care, gun control, pro-choice, marriage equality, tuition free college, and doesn't believe science is a hoax. Just don't see a Republican coming close to that.

21 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think independants just want the attention. They also want to come off as enlightened and feel superior that they aren't one of the sheeps who belongs to a tribe. I will always be a Democrat as long as they continue to support single payer health care, gun control, pro-choice, marriage equality, tuition free college, and doesn't believe science is a hoax. Just don't see a Republican coming close to that.

Imagine how disoriented you will feel when the party you supported just drops core values in one cycle.   The party of Trump is only tribal.

28 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

An independent can still vote for the person who pretends to support those things.  I don't really understand the benefit to belonging to a party.  I wish there were no parties.  

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

I don't really understand the benefit to belonging to a party.  

In theory, 'joining' a party gives you the right to vote in their primaries - but of course as just noted, some states refuse to record affiliation for the parties so you get to  'join' either party everytime you vote in a primary.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

In theory, 'joining' a party gives you the right to vote in their primaries - but of course as just noted, some states refuse to record affiliation for the parties so you get to  'join' either party everytime you vote in a primary.

If you wanted you could be anything you'd like to be in the Fairfax County, VA GOP because its destitute.  So, if you wanted to have the role of Supreme Maximum Emperor you could. 

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

In Massachusetts, we used to have to belong to a party to vote in a primary but that is no longer the case.  

16 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

In Massachusetts, we used to have to belong to a party to vote in a primary but that is no longer the case.  

as more states do that, it is no doubt part of reason party 'memberships' are down. That is probably not a good thing. We complain about how candidates get to the ballot and a lot of that still takes place 'inside' the party mechanism. If more people were involved it would probably tend to cut down the number of crazies that get to general election ballots. Not that I should talk - I've never been involved in either party to any degree - I did stuff envelops one night for McGovern ( ? ), I guess I've never recovered from that disappointment....