IdahoBert

2018 WS Dream Match-up: Dodgers vs. Red Sox

Maybe it wouldn't make much of a difference, but I don't understand starting lineups with Dozier & Freese over Muncy & Bellinger.  Muncy OPSed .891 vs LHPs and Bellinger OPSed .778 vs starting LHPs.  You factor in Sale's possible stamina issues heading into game 1 and d Price's playoff history,....  It seems like over managing the situation to me.

Through the first two games of the World Series, Brian Dozier has the same number of plate appearances as Muncy & Bellinger combined.

8 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

But it's Tampa.  And Oakland. The teams with the lowest payrolls are the ones doing it.

It's a bit of a mystery that the pitchers do so well in that strategy. It would be like Farmer, Coleman and Stumpf all pitching well for multiple innings for the Tigs. Not real likely to happen....

Right, it's the lower payroll teams who are more likely to experiment with bullpenning to gain an edge versus richer teams. How I meant it was, I don't think teams are going to bullpenning with the goal of containing player salaries.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Right, it's the lower payroll teams who are more likely to experiment with bullpenning to gain an edge versus richer teams. How I meant it was, I don't think teams are going to bullpenning with the goal of containing player salaries.

I would agree it might not be a primary goal but rather a positive side effect.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I would agree it might not be a primary goal but rather a positive side effect.

Yes, for the moment at least. If the strategy keeps spreading maybe we'll see guys who are consistently lights out the first time through the order identified and paid well by a team to do exactly that, even early in the game. That skill might not be worth $20 million a year to a team, but if a team all in on bullpenning pays three established guys an average of $7 million a year to take the same number of batters a $20 million a year pitcher normally would, it might come pretty close.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Maybe it wouldn't make much of a difference, but I don't understand starting lineups with Dozier & Freese over Muncy & Bellinger.  Muncy OPSed .891 vs LHPs and Bellinger OPSed .778 vs starting LHPs.  You factor in Sale's possible stamina issues heading into game 1 and d Price's playoff history,....  It seems like over managing the situation to me.

Through the first two games of the World Series, Brian Dozier has the same number of plate appearances as Muncy & Bellinger combined.

managers don't matter.(?)

36 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Good point.

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

No, because the Red Sox would have won anyway.  They are on fire.  

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

pronounced fiah.

correct.  Is there something wrong with that?

51 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

pronounced fiah.

C'mon baby light mah fiah, c'mon baby light mah FIAH!

31 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I’m here for the managerial takes. 

Managerial takes don't matter.

12 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Managerial takes don't matter.

Someone should be managing those.

A friend added me to a facebook page/group of baseball fans.  IT's basically a bunch of old timers whining about how they're ruining today's games with the shift, bullpen usage, too many mexicans, and replays.

• Like 1

Back in my time players played for the love of the game not the almighty dollar. 

I actually do think that some things were better in the old days, but I don't believe anyone is ruining the game.  Every time there is a change in the game, I feel conflicted.  I feel as if something good is happening but I also feel as if I am losing something.  On one hand, I think new bullpen usage and shifts are smart and innovative, so I like them.  On the other hand, neither adds to the entertainment value of the game and in some ways makes it worse.  I don't think you can stop it though, nor do I think you can force change.  You just have to let the game evolve.  

Instant replay challenges do suck though.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Baseball was much better back when it was played by worse athletes.

Imagine the level of play without the booming number of Latino/Hispanic players. 

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I actually do think that some things were better in the old days, but I don't believe anyone is ruining the game.  Every time there is a change in the game, I feel conflicted.  I feel as if something good is happening but I also feel as if I am losing something.  On one hand, I think new bullpen usage and shifts are smart and innovative, so I like them.  On the other hand, neither adds to the entertainment value of the game and in some ways makes it worse.  I don't think you can stop it though, nor do I think you can force change.  You just have to let the game evolve.  

Instant replay challenges do suck though.  

I think you could definitely stop shifts if you wanted to. Or the number of mid inning pitching changes. 

I don’t care too strongly either way, but it could be done. 

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think you could definitely stop shifts if you wanted to. Or the number of mid inning pitching changes. 

I don’t care too strongly either way, but it could be done. 

It can be done, but I think you would be interfering with the natural evolution of the game.  It is not something that was forced into place liked juiced balls.  

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It can be done, but I think you would be interfering with the natural evolution of the game.  It is not something that was forced into place liked juiced balls.  

That’s true. I just don’t think interfering with the natural evolution of the game is necessarily bad. 

I mean there are illegal defenses in basketball and football so I don't see an issue if they did it in baseball. With that said though I don't feel strongly about it either way.