Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

Angels hire Ausmus

I was really proud of my nephew today when he said that managers don't matter.  It's not something I was expecting him to say.  

• Like 2

Don’t the angels have a forward thinking GM?  Or at least one that came from a good org?  I guess it’s possible he learned some things working in their front office. 

3 hours ago, Oblong said:

Don’t the angels have a forward thinking GM?  Or at least one that came from a good org?  I guess it’s possible he learned some things working in their front office. 

He was in the front office in SD before he joined us. 

Doubt the year in the Angels front office changed him all that much. 

The people going for the job had to fill out a long questionnaire.    Ausmus is the one who wrote it.   

Reminds me of a Timothy Leary story.   Leary had been arrested for drug possession and filled out a psychological survey to see what level of security was right for his sentence.   He got the lowest level of work detail (gardening) and then used a step ladder to climb a fence and escape.   He was the one who wrote the survey a decade earlier and knew how to play it.  

• Like 3

On 10/21/2018 at 4:39 PM, Walewander said:

How angry will we be when they make him look like a good manager one of these years?

It'll be interesting to see if he can win division in his first year, as he did with the Tigers.:D

Brad Ausmus has inherited a very mediocre LAA pitching staff (overall.)  But there is potential for a couple of them to excel.

I believe analytics will make or break Brad's success (or failures) with LAA.  I believe he will have to manage the Angels deep into the playoffs in his first 2 years as an incentive to keep Mike Trout.  My guess is Brad will be fired if Mike Trout does not have a contract extension prior to end of 2020.  

I heard that Mike Trout signed the contract extension because he was excited about Ausmus being hired as the new Angels manager.

3 hours ago, gmoney said:

I heard that Mike Trout signed the contract extension because he was excited about Ausmus being hired as the new Angels manager.

He didn't. 

On 10/21/2018 at 4:43 PM, tiger337 said:

I was really proud of my nephew today when he said that managers don't matter.  It's not something I was expecting him to say.  

I'm not sure that is entirely correct. Having an authority figure that is adept at people skills can be a tremendous asset when huge egos are at risk to collide.  Leyland was likely better at this than Ausmus was.

Nothing in baseball is ever entirely true, but I think a lot of people overstate the manager's impact.  

A lot of times, people expect the impossible from a manager, and then hold it against him when he fails to produce. 

Sometimes, however, just having a person in a perceived position of authority who takes an interest in whatever is important to you (the player), can be a big morale booster.  And I believe that over a 162 game schedule, good morale has value.