Motor City Sonics

Game 6. Detroit Lions @ Miami Dolphins. Brocktober in South Florida?

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

You need a FG regardless. Even throwing a couple times to the end zone uses up time. I don't think there is a right or wrong. 

You don't though. Let's say they throw it to the end zone and get a TD, but, don't get the 2 point conversion. Then you can get the onside kick and go for another TD. Or even if you get the 2 points, you can go for another TD and win the game.

It's going to take the same amount of time regardless. If they make the field goal, then you've got say 50 seconds to get a TD. Or, you could spend 15 seconds and then have 35 seconds to get a FG.

I mean, it's incredibly unlikely either way, but at some point you're going to have to use the time to get to the end zone.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

PFF has Lawson as above average. I wouldn't exactly call that a liability. 

I just did

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

great win.  even though the dolphins suck, a win on the road in the nfl is hard to come by.  

Over a team with a winning record no less.

Pretty complete effort. Osweiler made a few amazing TD throws just to keep them within striking distance along with a couple of ridiculous calls against Ragnow and Diggs.  Otherwise, they dominated the game.

Stat sheet says Lions had more yrds running than passing. Has that happening in a Lion's win since they drafted Stafford? Has it happened in any Lions game since they drafted Stafford?(!?!)

Speaking of coaching issues

The Bears just used their final timeout with 2:30 to go. So, they're saving 30 seconds before the two minute warning. But if you use it after the two minute warning you'd be saving the full 40 second play clock. OK.

Lions had 248 yards rushing and 209 passing. When was the last time the Lions had more rushing yards than passing yards and actually won a game? When was the last time they rushed for over 200 yards in a game?

28 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Stat sheet says Lions had more yrds running than passing. Has that happening in a Lion's win since they drafted Stafford? Has it happened in any Lions game since they drafted Stafford?(!?!)

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Lions had 248 yards rushing and 209 passing. When was the last time the Lions had more rushing yards than passing yards and actually won a game? When was the last time they rushed for over 200 yards in a game?

Great question guys...

Patricia is going to be a really good coach. Its too bad they started so poorly against teams they should have beat like the Jets and 49ers, but oh well.

One thing that stands out to me: aside from the typical "SOL" mentality that Lions fans have been conditioned to have after years of bad or even mediocre football, the ending of these past two games really was never in doubt.

Like when Schlereth was alright talking as if the game was over at the 2 minute warning... they looked and played like a team that wasn't going to cough that win up.

That's a change... it seems like when the Lions have been competitive, they end up having to come from behind or they end up blowing winnable games. I think they have an edge to them that they didnt in the past, and Patricia deserves some credit for that.

I'm still in the skeptical stage. But, man, they took control early and never let up. KJ makes a huge difference and seems to be having a positive influence on Stafford. Seattle will be interesting.

39 minutes ago, kgeorge78 said:

that was a pretty complete game.

yes, the offense moved the ball extremely well and mixed things up.   It was the most complete and balanced offense I've seen in  years.   But they must finish stronger.   Too many field goals.   

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Ever since Blount shoved that 49ers player, this team has been playing a lot better. 

Yep.  I hope the point that got across is that don't let your franchise QB get the **** kicked out of him the way the Lions have for years.  That's about talent, of course, but it's also about attitude.

3 hours ago, Scottwood said:

Patricia is going to be a really good coach. Its too bad they started so poorly against teams they should have beat like the Jets and 49ers, but oh well.

I think the Patrica way is catching on. What I mean by that is early in the season we heard a lot about how players were already disenfranchised from their new coach because of the grueling training camp and hard practices.  

Well, the last two games the Lions have been clearly the better team, and they look fresh.  Big game next week.  A win against Seattle sets up a huge game in Minneapolis.  

Week 8 of the NFL would look great if the Rams, Saints and Lions won.   And of course the bears lose. 

What an amazing stat line for the running game....I haven't seen anything like this, ever, even in the Barry days.  In the Barry days you'd see Barry put up 158, the QB do whatever QBs do, and nothing else.  Today was a multi-faceted and killer ground game.  I'm amazed!  I hope this is the shape of things to come with this team.  It would be the first time I've ever seen a dynamic running game in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

One thing that stands out to me: aside from the typical "SOL" mentality that Lions fans have been conditioned to have after years of bad or even mediocre football, the ending of these past two games really was never in doubt.

Like when Schlereth was alright talking as if the game was over at the 2 minute warning... they looked and played like a team that wasn't going to cough that win up.

That's a change... it seems like when the Lions have been competitive, they end up having to come from behind or they end up blowing winnable games. I think they have an edge to them that they didnt in the past, and Patricia deserves some credit for that.

Yes!  I had the same observation...it was eerie to feel confident, as if they weren't going to figure out an SOL way out of a win.

This sure looks like a playoff team at this juncture.  They have a solid upper 1/3rd running game, which is the first time I can remember since Barry S or Billy S.  They are protecting the ball, rushing the passer, and the mistakes/penalties seem to be under control.

11 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

I think the Patrica way is catching on. What I mean by that is early in the season we heard a lot about how players were already disenfranchised from their new coach because of the grueling training camp and hard practices.  

Well, the last two games the Lions have been clearly the better team, and they look fresh.  Big game next week.  A win against Seattle sets up a huge game in Minneapolis.  

Week 8 of the NFL would look great if the Rams, Saints and Lions won.   And of course the bears lose. 

Cooter called a good game.