Motor City Sonics

Game 6. Detroit Lions @ Miami Dolphins. Brocktober in South Florida?

27 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It is but I don't think it's out of the question.  Outside of the Rams and to a lesser extent the Vikings I don't see anybody on the schedule that is clearly better than them.   

I think the key is at least splitting with the Vikings.  If they do that then I could see them getting to 10 wins. 

I think the Panthers are better as well and I'd be surprised if they swept the Bears. With that said, if they commit to the running game and the defense continues to pressure the QB consistently, they can compete with anybody.

Regardless of what happens, I see a bright future for this team for the first time in a long time.  A much improved offensive line, a star RB, a potential star WR in Golladay and some money freed up from the Ansah and Tate contracts off the books to address the defense. They might be in tough to make the playoffs this season but this team has a lot of potential going forward.

36 minutes ago, NYLion said:

...some money freed up from the Ansah and Tate contracts....

What do people think about trading Marvin Jones and re-signing Tate? Their cap hits are similar, but Marvin’s skills overlap with Golladay’s — only without the size and wingspan. Tate is unique, and can probably perform at a high level for 2-3 more seasons, maybe as they work in Brandon Powell.  

19 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

What do people think about trading Marvin Jones and re-signing Tate? Their cap hits are similar, but Marvin’s skills overlap with Golladay’s — only without the size and wingspan. Tate is unique, and can probably perform at a high level for 2-3 more seasons, maybe as they work in Brandon Powell.  

I agree about Tate. Hate see him go. But, have to see what Jones brings throughout season

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Regardless of what happens, I see a bright future for this team for the first time in a long time.  A much improved offensive line, a star RB, a potential star WR in Golladay and some money freed up from the Ansah and Tate contracts off the books to address the defense. They might be in tough to make the playoffs this season but this team has a lot of potential going forward.

2019 draft is supposed to be extremely deep in DEs. That fits the Lion's program to a tee.

Dallas traded a 1st round pick for Amari Cooper. Seems like a steep price for a receiver who hasn't been good since 2016. 

Davis is getting better as the season goes on.

I would love to Resign Tate but they probably wont.

15 hours ago, Jason_R said:

I get what you're saying from a skillset standpoint but Tate will be 31 next season and will want a long term contract, there's no way that I'd be willing to pay the price when the Lions have needs elsewhere.  I love Tate but 30+ years old for a non-QB is the beginning of the end for most football players. 

Also (and I know it's looking ahead), they have to be careful handing out long term contracts with Johnson and Golladay potentially getting big pay days in several years.

Don't know what the cap looks like next year, but maybe you can just franchise Tate and keep him for one more year. 

5 hours ago, NYLion said:

I get what you're saying from a skillset standpoint but Tate will be 31 next season and will want a long term contract, there's no way that I'd be willing to pay the price when the Lions have needs elsewhere.  I love Tate but 30+ years old for a non-QB is the beginning of the end for most football players. 

Also (and I know it's looking ahead), they have to be careful handing out long term contracts with Johnson and Golladay potentially getting big pay days in several years.

I don't think he could reasonably expect his next contract to be more than five years, and his agent ought to warn him that even if he gets a five year contract, he is unlikely to play until the end of it. From the Lions' standpoint, if they could get him for three or four years, that keeps them clear of second contracts for Golladay and Johnson.

His last contract gave him $10 million guaranteed, and paid him about $30 million overall. Receivers are making more money now, but maybe the Lions could sign him to something like the deal that DeSean Jackson got last year at age 31 - three years, $33.5 million, $20 million guaranteed. That would give Tate a nice raise. It seems like a lot of guaranteed money, but it really isn't compared to recent WR deals, and Tate has been durable, and good at avoiding hits. They'd have to be able to trade Marvin Jones (for a 3rd or 4th round pick?) in order to make it work. But I don't think it is out of the question, and I do think Tate loves playing with Stafford. Tate might even convince himself that if he could play with Stafford and put up numbers for three more years, he could get still another contract at age 34.

Edit: Marvin apparently has an opt-out after this season. 

3 hours ago, Jason_R said:

I don't think he could reasonably expect his next contract to be more than five years, and his agent ought to warn him that even if he gets a five year contract, he is unlikely to play until the end of it. From the Lions' standpoint, if they could get him for three or four years, that keeps them clear of second contracts for Golladay and Johnson.

His last contract gave him $10 million guaranteed, and paid him about $30 million overall. Receivers are making more money now, but maybe the Lions could sign him to something like the deal that DeSean Jackson got last year at age 31 - three years, $33.5 million, $20 million guaranteed. That would give Tate a nice raise. It seems like a lot of guaranteed money, but it really isn't compared to recent WR deals, and Tate has been durable, and good at avoiding hits. They'd have to be able to trade Marvin Jones (for a 3rd or 4th round pick?) in order to make it work. But I don't think it is out of the question, and I do think Tate loves playing with Stafford. Tate might even convince himself that if he could play with Stafford and put up numbers for three more years, he could get still another contract at age 34.

Edit: Marvin apparently has an opt-out after this season. 

I can't see Desean Jackson as a comparable, completely different players. Jackson is more like Marvin Jones than Tate.  A younger comparable to Tate is Landry, a similar age comparable (a lite version of Tate) is Edelman.  Landry got 15M/yr over 5 years, can't really use Edelman's contract as a benchmark because he took a big discount to stay with Brady.  I see something like 4yrs $52M for Tate, possibly more on the open market. 

You make some valid points if they can keep the term reasonable but I don't think Tate settles for less term with this being his final chance to cash in so for that reason, I think he's gone.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

I can't see Desean Jackson as a comparable, completely different players. Jackson is more like Marvin Jones than Tate.  A younger comparable to Tate is Landry, a similar age comparable (a lite version of Tate) is Edelman.  Landry got 15M/yr over 5 years, can't really use Edelman's contract as a benchmark because he took a big discount to stay with Brady.  I see something like 4yrs $52M for Tate, possibly more on the open market. 

You make some valid points if they can keep the term reasonable but I don't think Tate settles for less term with this being his final chance to cash in so for that reason, I think he's gone.

Landry is six years younger than Tate, though. Tate’s agent will use Landry, but I have a hard time seeing that comp going too far. 

Another comp is Doug Baldwin, who got 4/$46 million with $12 million guaranteed in his age 29 season. The market has gone up since then, and Tate is probably a more dynamic player than Baldwin. 

That said, I agree that Tate is probably gone. But I don’t think it is a foregone conclusion, and given Marvin’s player option after this season I actually think it is more likely that Tate is on the team next season than Marvin. 

THey have this segment on ESPN.com called "Detail", it consists of Peyton Manning going in-depth and breaking down a play or plays.   This week Stafford was the subject.  Considering Stafford only threw 4 incompletions all game and only 1 was a "true" incompletion I thought it was going to be something positive. 

Nope it was about one of the times Stafford got a ball knocked down and how he needs to do a better job at looking off the defense.  Peyton was entertaining in it and what he said was right I just thought this was the wrong game to pick apart something negative from Stafford.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

THey have this segment on ESPN.com called "Detail", it consists of Peyton Manning going in-depth and breaking down a play or plays.   This week Stafford was the subject.  Considering Stafford only threw 4 incompletions all game and only 1 was a "true" incompletion I thought it was going to be something positive. 

Nope it was about one of the times Stafford got a ball knocked down and how he needs to do a better job at looking off the defense.  Peyton was entertaining in it and what he said was right I just thought this was the wrong game to pick apart something negative from Stafford.  

I've heard Stafford knocked in the past for not looking off enough, but I imagine every QB except maybe Aaron Rodgers does not look off his primary receiver as much as he could/should. But stats that matter here are INTs and breakups. In particular, if you are not being picked, whatever advantage your eyes are giving the DBs are not helping them enough. Zone vs MTM matters also. Looking off is going to matter more against a zone than in a MTM were the DB is on his receiver regardless.  I think maybe the compensation for Stafford, even if he does not look off as much as he could, is that he has a very quick release, which gives DB's in a zone less time to react.  I've always thought that was his #1 talent. So you have to look at/take the whole package.