UCFKNIGHT92

Who Would Help The Tigers More?

ignore the pitching and spend a wad on one position?? Really??

5 minutes ago, jb84 said:

ignore the pitching and spend a wad on one position?? Really??

Did someone say ignore pitching?  

21 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Did someone say ignore pitching?  

Where are the posts that discuss bringing a staff together? I may have missed it

8 minutes ago, jb84 said:

Where are the posts that discuss bringing a staff together? I may have missed it

I would say the majority of the posts about re-building have focused on their pitching prospects.  

10 minutes ago, jb84 said:

I've posted multiple times about the pitching staff.   Others have done so, we have 11 potential starters within 2 years of Comerica, we can hope that 5-6 MILB starters emerge from that group.   Add some of the washouts to our current crop of young relievers and we have the makings of a decent staff in the system.

As has been said here over and over we need to add more hitting/position prospects to the system.

Fair enough. Was referring to this thread.

So, we’re not going to sign Manny because we have Alcantara and a guy we received for Leonys Martin’s expiring contract?  If they are that good, move them to 2B.

12 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

So, we’re not going to sign Manny because we have Alcantara and a guy we received for Leonys Martin’s expiring contract?  If they are that good, move them to 2B.

Tigers rebuild is still in 'tearing down' stage until they rid themselves of Zimm's contract ..and including when they stop paying Prince Fielder and JV not to play.  That means Tigers most likely won't even begin to add significant FA's until at least 2021 ..and may wait until Miggy's contract is done after 2023.  Thus, since it will be at least 2021 before they even begin to create a truly contending MLB roster (and maybe 2023) ..by then Machado will be 29 to 31 years old ..and WHO builds a team around a 29 year old player who has put together only one .900+ OPS season in his entire career thus far (.905 this year)?

So for that reason, (and others) ..signing Manny Machado is not going to happen.  We can be thankful for that.

13 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

It goes to show that someone that you can't remember his name is regarded as one of the Tigers' top prospects.  

37 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Tigers rebuild is still in 'tearing down' stage until they rid themselves of Zimm's contract ..and including when they stop paying Prince Fielder and JV not to play.  That means Tigers most likely won't even begin to add significant FA's until at least 2021 ..and may wait until Miggy's contract is done after 2023.  Thus, since it will be at least 2021 before they even begin to create a truly contending MLB roster (and maybe 2023) ..by then Machado will be 29 to 31 years old ..and WHO builds a team around a 29 year old player who has put together only one .900+ OPS season in his entire career thus far (.905 this year)?

So for that reason, (and others) ..signing Manny Machado is not going to happen.  We can be thankful for that.

Bingo!! Good post. Plus Machado is in LALA Land now. Odds of him wanting to play in Motown are slim.

4 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

From Chris Illitch's mouth to MTS.

I like how somebody could possibly know what an organization is going to do 6 years from now and what the roster is going to be look like.

I don't know how many more examples he needs to see to understand that rosters turn over quickly in the mlb.  Look at how different our roster looks from just two years ago and you're supposed to know what it's going to look like 5-6 years down the road?

If you're still rebuilding after 6 years then that means you failed at it the first time.  I'm not saying that's not gonna happen but it's not something I'm going to predict either.  If you do it right it shouldn't take you more than 3-4 years to become a playoff contender.  

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I like how somebody could possibly know what an organization is going to do 6 years from now and what the roster is going to be look like.

I don't know how many more examples he needs to see to understand that rosters turn over quickly in the mlb.  Look at how different our roster looks from just two years ago and you're supposed to know what it's going to look like 5-6 years down the road?

If you're still rebuilding after 6 years then that means you failed at it the first time.  I'm not saying that's not gonna happen but it's not something I'm going to predict either.  If you do it right it shouldn't take you more than 3-4 years to become a playoff contender.  

Too many people remember the last time the Tigers were rebuilding. From 1994-2005, the Tigers never had a winning record and never finished higher than 3rd. That's 12 years of losing. To many Tiger fans, this current rebuild feels very similar. 

Both times we have a new Ilitch owner that seems to care more about turning a profit than putting a competitive team on the field. 

6 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Too many people remember the last time the Tigers were rebuilding. From 1994-2005, the Tigers never had a winning record and never finished higher than 3rd. That's 12 years of losing. To many Tiger fans, this current rebuild feels very similar. 

Both times we have a new Ilitch owner that seems to care more about turning a profit than putting a competitive team on the field. 

The biggest reason why it took so long is that the Tigers failed miserably on virtually every single one of their draft picks and ended up on the losing end of every trade.

Situations like that rarely happen especially nowadays with better scouting and analytics.  If that were to happen sure the rebuild could go on for 10 years but I simply don't think that is gonna happen.