UCFKNIGHT92

Who Would Help The Tigers More?

Should the Tigers sign Many Machado or Justin Verlander? Machado will be a free agent after this season and Verlander will be a free agent after 2019. I would like to see Al Avila contact the agent for both of them. Ron Gardenhire, I believe, has the temperament to manage big league eagos. Right now, Machado is getting some heat for slapping at Jesus Aguilar trying to dislodge the ball. Yes, I believe Machado deserves a fine, however I wouldn’t hold that infraction against him for too long. We all know Machado can play the game at a big level consistently.

18 minutes ago, UCFKNIGHT92 said:

Should the Tigers sign Many Machado or Justin Verlander? Machado will be a free agent after this season and Verlander will be a free agent after 2019. I would like to see Al Avila contact the agent for both of them. Ron Gardenhire, I believe, has the temperament to manage big league eagos. Right now, Machado is getting some heat for slapping at Jesus Aguilar trying to dislodge the ball. Yes, I believe Machado deserves a fine, however I wouldn’t hold that infraction against him for too long. We all know Machado can play the game at a big level consistently.

Slapping at him?  I thought the issue was he gave Aguilar a noogie as he crossed the bag.

1 hour ago, UCFKNIGHT92 said:

Not sure if you noticed, but the Tigers have begun a rebuilding phase.

Machado would help them more since he will be just 26 next year.  They aren't getting him,  but when a 26 year old star is available, I am always in favor of my favorite team going after him re-building or not.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Machado would help them more since he will be just 26 next year.  They aren't getting him,  but when a 26 year old star is available, I am always in favor of my favorite team going after him re-building or not.  

I agree. Re-building effort or not, Manny Machado would be a great addition to Detroit ‘s lineup. It’s not gonna happen, however it’s nice to think about during the off-season.

We need to hire Scott frost. Then we can start raising pennants for championships no matter what. 

I agree with Lee on all points.  It would be the right thing to do, but the Tigers aren't going to do it.  The thing we seem to be trying to do is to suck for an indefinite period of time in the hopes that our drafts and farm system produces a winning team.  That hasn't happened in Detroit in 35 years, and very few GMs have pulled it off.  But for some reason we're supposed to believe that Avila has this up his sleeve.

4 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Yes.  Throw Bryce Harper in there, too.

21 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Yes.  Throw Bryce Harper in there, too.

Wondered why Harper’s name wasn’t at the top of the list. He’s 26 as well. All good until you have to talk money.

I'd be OK with Machado, definitely, as long as he knows that he's going to play third.  Not Harper though, he's got that douche haircut and I don't want him in a Tigers uniform.

You mean who would help the Tigers contend? Start with a good rotation, middle relief and a closer. THEN worry about defensive middle. The Tigers are not even close to contending. When DD left it was all over. They gave up on the stars to save money and are stuck with a bloated Miggie contract. This team is in ruins.

10 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

I'd be OK with Machado, definitely, as long as he knows that he's going to play third.  Not Harper though, he's got that douche haircut and I don't want him in a Tigers uniform.

Machado has the Central American Guerilla gang fighter haircut. He and Harper aren’t too far apart on haircuts/styles. I’d never want Machado in a Tigers uniform. 

Actually, I’d never want either one of them in a Tigers uni.

Machado is a dream. As much as I love JV...no. We are in a rebuilding phase and wasting 20 million on him is pointless. 

33 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Machado has the Central American Guerilla gang fighter haircut. He and Harper aren’t too far apart on haircuts/styles. I’d never want Machado in a Tigers uniform. 

Actually, I’d never want either one of them in a Tigers uni.

OK I'll allow that.  You've changed my mind.  II'm not impressed enough by either one of them.  Trout?  Yes I'd pay him the GDP of the entire world for the next 10 years.  Neither one of those guys is Trout.  I don't want to put up with the douche factor for either one of them 10 years from now when they are still making $40 million.

7 minutes ago, wolverinefan said:

Machado is a dream. As much as I love JV...no. We are in a rebuilding phase and wasting 20 million on him is pointless. 

True.

The Tigers should just wait it out. 

It will be a very interesting off season in baseball.    The ridiculously rising salary bubble may be bursting.   Manny Machado and Bryce Harper 3 or 4 years ago might have gotten $30 - $40 million a year.   But baseball might be in a little trouble and it sure seems like there are fewer and fewer teams willing to spend big.    This year will break the recent trend of building a team up to win a World Series,  but really, as much as the Red Sox and Dodgers spend, they do have a lot of their own talent in the mix.    

I see the number of teams willing to pay Machado and Harper as quite limited.    I have Machado ending up with the Yankees and I thought it was a lock that Harper ends up with the Cubs but I could see a couple other teams making a bid for him.  I could see the Angels trying to get one or both of them - since they keep spending and spending.  Trout and Harper in the same outfield would be a hoot.  It would be even more interesting to see Brad Ausmus get that job with those two and still manage to keep the Angels under .500/

So if Bryce and Manny don't get $30 mil a year offers,  are the players going to sue the owners for collusion again?

9 hours ago, jb84 said:

You mean who would help the Tigers contend? Start with a good rotation, middle relief and a closer. THEN worry about defensive middle. The Tigers are not even close to contending. When DD left it was all over. They gave up on the stars to save money and are stuck with a bloated Miggie contract. This team is in ruins.

The division sucks.  Cleveland is the only team in the division with legit playoff aspirations.  Sure, Machado and/or Harper wouldn't bridge the gap by themselves, but if Kluber or Lindor or Ramirez went don't for a decent amount of time....  OK, probably still not enough.

Another wrinkle in this whole thing is the idea that the Tiger ownership might be changing soon.   Certainly leanings that Dan Gilbert wants it to happen.   But this probably wouldn't happen fast enough for Manny or Bryce and even if it happened quickly, we don't know what Gilbert would want to do - spend or build.  

Anytime you can acquire a 26 year old 6+ WAR player you should do it, particularly when it is "only" money.   Yes the Tigers probably aren't going to contend next season or maybe even the following one but at his age you should expect him to have atleast 5-6 more prime seasons in him.    

Also you just never know how your fortunes are going to change in the organization.  Maybe Fulmer or Miggy return to their old selves, or Candalario breaks out or prospects in the minors break out and suddenly you find yourself going from being a high 60s win team to a high 70s win.  In that scenario a player like Machado could be the difference between being on the cusp of the playoffs or not.    

1 minute ago, bobrob2004 said:

Signing Machado will certainly speed up the rebuilding process. 

that would at least in part on how much salary cap he soaked up. One of Avila's big mantras coming into the job was how too much salary commitment cuts off your opportunity sign critical pieces you need once you are close enough for them to get you over the top. This may or not be true, but if Al believes it, then it would be a reversal on his part to pursue any expensive FAs this early in the process - so I wouldn't expect it. 

10 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

that would at least in part on how much salary cap he soaked up. One of Avila's big mantras coming into the job was how too much salary commitment cuts off your opportunity sign critical pieces you need once you are close enough for them to get you over the top. This may or not be true, but if Al believes it, then it would be a reversal on his part to pursue any expensive FAs this early in the process - so I wouldn't expect it. 

That sounds like a diplomatic way of saying that the young Ilitch will be spending a lot less than the old man, which most of us expected.  

10 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

That sounds like a diplomatic way of saying that the young Ilitch will be spending a lot less than the old man, which most of us expected.  

no doubt that too. But I can't argue that timing doesn't matter. The future status of any player is always progressively less predictable each year further you have to project into the future. Spending big guaranteed money today for a guy whose performance you are banking on to put you in the playoffs 4 or 5 yrs out doesn't seem like the highest probability of success course to choose.