six-hopper

Staggering Stat of the Day

During yesterday's Red Sox-Yankees game, one of the broadcasters  said that in David Price's last 30 innings against the Yankees, he has allowed  15 HOME RUNS! 

I think that if even I threw 30 innings against the Yankees and was actually trying to get them out, I would be hard pressed to give up home runs at that rate.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I am sure you would give up 15 HR in 5 IP or less.

He would have to get the ball over the plate.  

Might be hard for a MLBer to homer off of a 45mph pitch. Could be better off catching it with their bare hand, tossing it up in the air themselves, and fungoing it over the fence for a HR.

Relievers - can't live with them, can't live without them. Kimbrel comes into the NY/Bos series closeout game in the bottom of the 9th with a 3 run lead, loads the basis on 2 walks and a single around 1 K, then hits a batter for one run, gets a sac fly out for the 2nd run, gets Gleyber Torres on a bang/bang at 1st. 7 men to the plate and 2 runs to get 3 outs.

It has been a boring, uneventful postseason so far but that 9th inning was so good. Bringing pain to Red Sox fans and making them sweat for a couple of more days would have been sweet.

On 10/8/2018 at 1:28 AM, lordstanley said:

Might be hard for a MLBer to homer off of a 45mph pitch. Could be better off catching it with their bare hand, tossing it up in the air themselves, and fungoing it over the fence for a HR.

Hey, my fastball is easily 46, at least in the early innings. 

ALCS features two division-winners with the #1 and #2 best records in the AL.

NLCS features two division-winners with the #1 and #3 best records in the NL.

Good, no flukes.

so weird denouement to the Yankees/Sox game was Rick Porcello defending Angel Hernandez on Twitter - basically calling out CC by name to throw the ball over the damn plate if he wants strikes called for him. 

And just to top it off, after reading all the carping by CC and the Yankee's fans, I went to Brooks and looked at the K zone plots for the game, and Angel called exactly two pitches strikes that were outside the 'customary' zone, both of which were thrown by NY pitchers, and called exactly one strike thrown by NY a ball. None by Bos. So all told NY was actually one call to the good for the game.

Now maybe it's only justice that Angel has made a reputation for himself that even when he calls a good game he gets blamed for calling a bad one, and I guess he missed a couple of calls at 1b Mon that didn't help.