jb84

Green Bay Game

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:36 PM, Shelton said:

Which game in week 13 is more likely to be flexed into the Sunday night game (there will certainly be a flex that week because niners Seahawks is not interesting in the slightest).

lions vs Rams 

or 

Vikings vs patriots?

I think Vikings pats seems more obvious, but that is already the big late afternoon game on fox. And the league has a big incentive to promote the rams this year.

Since people don't really care about the Lions, I'd be surprised if their game is flexed.

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

Since people don't really care about the Lions, I'd be surprised if their game is flexed.

The two highest rated SNF games of the last 5 years are Lions games 

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

It might not be the game they choose, but the rest of the slate that day is not very impressive either. I guess it depends on whether or not they think people will tune in for the rams. 

Someone posted previously that the rams will be on two weeks later. That could be enough for them to prefer a different game.

I really have no idea. I just saw something a few days ago talking about how the niners were already being flexed out of an upcoming game, and it specifically mentioned the week 12 SNF game against Seattle as being entirely uninteresting. 

Plenty of time for different storylines to emerge prior to then, though. 

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

The two highest rated SNF games of the last 5 years are Lions games 

and you think that's because of the lions?  

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

and you think that's because of the lions?  

No but it shows that when it comes to the NFL it doesn't really matter what team is on as long as the game has importance so if the Lions are indeed in the playoff hunt I don't think they would shy away from them just cause they are the Lions.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

No but it shows that when it comes to the NFL it doesn't really matter what team is on as long as the game has importance so if the Lions are indeed in the playoff hunt I don't think they would shy away from them just cause they are the Lions.

i think they would rather have a big market or popular team than the lions.  the fact they are playing the rams means it could be.

the nfl could get ratings even with a non-descript team few outside of detroit care about.

what kind of tv market is detroit now?  is it considered a mid-sized market?

6 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i think they would rather have a big market or popular team than the lions.  the fact they are playing the rams means it could be.

the nfl could get ratings even with a non-descript team few outside of detroit care about.

Without looking it up I think Detroit is considered in that second tier behind New York,  LA,  and Chicago as far as TV goes. 

With looking it up, It looks like is tier 3, 13th overall. 

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Nielsen says they are 14th in the US but I don't think that counts the Ann Arbor market or Windsor. 

Even so the NFL isn't like the NBA where casual fans will only tune in if certain players or teams are playing.  If there are playoff implications people are going to tune in regardless of the team.  

Also I would argue outside of a handful of teams no outside fan cares about any one team over another.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Nielsen says they are 14th in the US but I don't think that counts the Ann Arbor market or Windsor. 

Even so the NFL isn't like the NBA where casual fans will only tune in if certain players or teams are playing.  If there are playoff implications people are going to tune in regardless of the team.  

Also I would argue outside of a handful of teams no outside fan cares about any one team over another.  

that's probably right.  but i think there are few teams less popular than detroit regardless of market size.

jacksonville, tennessee, indianapolis maybe, buffalo, cincinnati.  not sure who else would be down there.  i know the lions have some of the smallest revenues and are one of the least valuable teams, if you believe those guesstimates.

on the flip side, if they went on a prolonged run of success, i could easily see them become like the wings given the great detroit diaspora.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Without looking it up I think Detroit is considered in that second tier behind New York,  LA,  and Chicago as far as TV goes. 

With looking it up, It looks like is tier 3, 13th overall. 

i can remember when we were top 7 or 8.

damn you japanese and your affordable well made cars!

6 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i can remember when we were top 7 or 8.

damn you japanese and your affordable well made cars!

Our metro is 4.3 million and Boston at 10 is 4.8 so it's not a huge difference.  Also all those people that left Detroit are likely Lions fans so wherever they went they will likely follow the Lions if they are on. 

when i was living in northern michigan there were just as many packer fans as lions fans.  lots of bears and packer fans in west michigan.

nobody gives a crap about the lions except us idiots.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 8:36 PM, Shelton said:

Which game in week 13 is more likely to be flexed into the Sunday night game (there will certainly be a flex that week because niners Seahawks is not interesting in the slightest).

lions vs Rams 

or 

Vikings vs patriots?

I think Vikings pats seems more obvious, but that is already the big late afternoon game on fox. And the league has a big incentive to promote the rams this year.

I hope the Lions/Rams doesn't get flexed... I understand the desire for national attention and I'd hope that if it does it flexed it means the Lions are becoming a legit team and it's not just "let's show the Rams no matter who they are playing..."

But all that said, I like my Sunday afternoon games.