lordstanley

October 2018 Game Threads

37 minutes ago, Buddha said:

theyre going to send rasmussen down as soon as svechnikov is ready.

And I'd be fine with that if it was to Grand Rapids. But he is not eligible for that. It would be back to juniors. Which seems pointless.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

habs and wings.  my two favorite teams going at it.

original 6 hockey games are always a little better, imo.

With Howie Meeker, Dick Irvin and, better yet, the incomparable Danny Gallivan.

First benching of the year was the highly touted rookie. They continue to let slugs like Abdelkader, Vanek, and Nielsen play with no consequences. They are clinging to a culture that doesn't exist. Blashill will get another month before he's gone. Then Ken Holland will start cleaning out his office for the Yzerman formality.I

31 minutes ago, kdog said:

First benching of the year was the highly touted rookie. They continue to let slugs like Abdelkader, Vanek, and Nielsen play with no consequences. They are clinging to a culture that doesn't exist. Blashill will get another month before he's gone. Then Ken Holland will start cleaning out his office for the Yzerman formality.I

If the highly touted rookies cannot do the little things necessary to win, then they can stay on the bench.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

If the highly touted rookies cannot do the little things necessary to win, then they can stay on the bench.

If you are going to lose either way, why waste shifts on veterans who will not be around the next time you are good? Especially when the vets are just as uninspired and listless.

Because if a player hasn't earned his playing time, then he hasn't earned it.

Alternately, it seems quite unlikely to me they are prejudiced against young players.  They want to play young players.  But they aren't going to give time to a guy just because he is young.

But it seems like they are going to give old guys time because they are old and are teaching young guys. I guess it doesn't matter because they're going to lose either way.

It matters because they need to teach the kids how to play the game the right way / develop the right habits.

The lessons learned by making a player earn his time are worth it in my opinion.

It will play off in the long run presuming the player in question has the requisite skill to stick.

Ok are we sending Rasmussen back to juniors to save a year on his entry level deal? That's a tough one because he will dominate there but he needs to play to at least develop. Sucks he can't go to GR.

1 hour ago, kdog said:

If you are going to lose either way, why waste shifts on veterans who will not be around the next time you are good? Especially when the vets are just as uninspired and listless.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Because if a player hasn't earned his playing time, then he hasn't earned it.

Alternately, it seems quite unlikely to me they are prejudiced against young players.  They want to play young players.  But they aren't going to give time to a guy just because he is young.

of course the ideal situation is that if you have one young player that won't be coached, you have another young player with a better work ethic to give the time to instead of an over the  hill guy. Everything works so much better when you just draft well! 

I don't see the benching of Rasmussen as a panic move or intended as a big punishment. More like a chance to regroup. Played a whopping 5 games, didn't impress, take a breath and a step back for a sec and see how to improve before burning through the 9 game limit.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

From the very (very) small amount I played, I could imagine that hockey is a really easy game for going into reaction mode and having the brain sort of turn off in terms of remembering the finer grain things you are supposed to be doing instead of just trying to keep up with the play. I think Hockey and basketball would definitely be more that way than say baseball and football just because of continuous play, as compared to it being a lot easier to think about each play in the dead time before it happens. And it does seem that Hockey and BB do have more issues with young players playing "dumb" and coaches trying to figure out how to change that.

If the Wings have even lost Helene ...

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2018/10/15/detroit-red-wings-montreal-canadiens-score/1650693002/

MONTREAL — The Detroit Red Wings made a mockery of themselves.

Fresh off a humiliation in Boston, they self-destructed in the second period Monday at Bell Centre en route to a 7-3 loss to the Canadiens. Six games in, the Wings remain in search of their first victory — and the next stop is at Tampa Bay. 

The Wings (0-4-2) have lost six games to open a season for the first time in their 92-season history.

Monday’s outing looked worse in light of Saturday’s 8-2 shellacking in Boston. None of the veterans came through with a big shift. The young defense was exposed. They played shorthanded five times. By the time Andreas Athanasiou scored his second goal of the night, in the third period, the Habs had taken a five-goal lead. Three minutes after Athanasiou’s goal, Thomas Vanek converted on a power play, but the Canadiens scored again with 1:49 to go, leaving the Wings to explain another farce of a performance.

8 hours ago, lordstanley said:

And I'd be fine with that if it was to Grand Rapids. But he is not eligible for that. It would be back to juniors. Which seems pointless.

I'm starting to wonder if it is in his best interest to go back to juniors just to get away from this dumpster fire.  He was named captain for his junior team and could have a positive season vs. being stuck on this Wings roster.  In an ideal world he goes to the AHL of course, but I wouldn't mind sheltering him from this crap show.

With how the vets are playing it may be time to fire Blashill to shake things up.  He's probably a lame duck this year anyways but with how this team is playing he needs to go. Sure the roster stinks and has a ton of rookies (I won't say they're young, the average age is still over the league average) but at this point, in my opinion, it is obvious he can't tailor his systems to fit the little strengths on the roster right now.  He isn't motivating veterans.  Young guys seem to be taking steps back.  There's no fight.  Just end it.  Start the search and let Bylsma's dumb *** run the show for a bit, what's the worst that could happen?

Also, I want to see Ras not on a line with Nielsen (holy crap, did he sustain a crazy injury in the off season, he looks like he's DONE) and Abdelkader (in my opinion the worst Wing so far, I honestly have grown to resent him on this team).  I would rather he play with Ehn on the fourth line at this point.

I have to imagine they're going to work in Witkowski at some point, there are too many rookies.  Which is dumb.

There is no tailorable system to make this team more effective.

The motivation thing may well be true.  But I tend to doubt Blysma is going to make them significantly more motivated for more than say a month.  They are going to get brained repeatedly.

8 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

From the very (very) small amount I played, I could imagine that hockey is a really easy game for going into reaction mode and having the brain sort of turn off in terms of remembering the finer grain things you are supposed to be doing instead of just trying to keep up with the play. I think Hockey and basketball would definitely be more that way than say baseball and football just because of continuous play, as compared to it being a lot easier to think about each play in the dead time before it happens. And it does seem that Hockey and BB do have more issues with young players playing "dumb" and coaches trying to figure out how to change that.

My general impression is if the game is too fast, the player will tend to panic and rush things -> foul things up unnecessarily.

Krupa has been writing that if the Red Wings start trolling the waiver wire for veterans to "fix" the team, it would be a bad sign. I more or less agree. Bench some veteran forwards and give Rasmussen another shot for a game. It's probable they won't be this bad down the road if the vets on defense come back but Daley and Green are old.

At this point, I'd rather save a year for Rasmussen, and even Zadina.  This will be a waste of a year, better to save them for their age 21-22 seasons than this season.  I also hope they continue to play the young defense as much as possible.  I really like Cholowski.