lordstanley

October 2018 Game Threads

Leafs have one helluva offense. Beat Dallas 7-4 tonight with 2 more goals from both Matthews and Tavares. Think they score 10 against the Wings On Thursday?

17 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Leafs have one helluva offense. Beat Dallas 7-4 tonight with 2 more goals from both Matthews and Tavares. Think they score 10 against the Wings On Thursday?

Well Cholowski is out and Kronwall is in (injury), so... big yikes.

I was prepared for a slaughter tonight, and that still may happen, but so far it's only 1-1 after 1. Jensen with the Wings' goal.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

I was prepared for a slaughter tonight, and that still may happen, but so far it's only 1-1 after 1. Jensen with the Wings' goal.

11 shots in 2 periods?

Maybe it's the sticks or maybe the Wings just aren't very talented but in the last two games I have seen two different Wings who were wide open  practically at the crease but on their backhand side pass instead of taking a wide open backhander.

Leafs up 4-3 with 6 minutes left in 3rd. Leafs benefitted from a horrible penalty call, converted 9 seconds into the PP. Larkin has got the Wings close.

Wings winning the 3rd but too far back. And the leafs get the empty netter on a clear from their own zone.

The Wings are one of 5 winless teams left in the NHL. The Wings have played 4 games. The other 4 winless teams - Florida, Edmonton,  St. Louis and Minnesota - have played twice.

Update: St. Louis and Minnesota both won tonight after I posted this. 3 winless teams left, Wings being 1 of them.

Tank baby tank.

Gonna be a long year.  Time to bottom out, trade for more picks, fire Kenny, hire Stevie, draft Hughes, and get back to winning in a couple years.

Who becomes a .500 team first: the Tigers or the Wings? 

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

Tank baby tank.

Gonna be a long year.  Time to bottom out, trade for more picks, fire Kenny, hire Stevie, draft Hughes, and get back to winning in a couple years.

Who becomes a .500 team first: the Tigers or the Wings? 

Probably the Wings.

Zadina and Larkin are already probably better bets to be impact players than anyone in the Tigers system. And the Wings will probably get another really good player after this season (much better odds than in baseball), It's a shorter roster, and I think success comes sooner for more hockey players esp offensively, than baseball players (average NHL age 2 yrs younger than MLB, that's not proof but an implication)  - and if you are only talking 500, you can get there without great experienced blue liners. The pitching in the Tiger system is still a few years away unless they draft a Verlander next summer, and even then he would still be two years away from now - and any significant amount of hitting is even further away. Plus I don't really think Holland was so much incompetent as stubborn. I tend to think he was just really reluctant to rebuild. Now that he accepts it, I think he'll leave Yzerman a program moving in the right direction. Plus the Tigers are a little bit hostage to the Twins/Sox and KC rebuilds. To whatever degree those three teams start to get better, it's going to be harder for the Tigers to improve their record even if the team improves objectively. And finally, Det is probably a better FA venue in the NHL than in the MLB when it comes to picking up the guys to start rounding out a rebuild.

Red Wings getting thumped this afternoon in Boston. 6-2 midway through 3rd. Pasternak with hat trick for Boston. Larkin and Hronek have scored for the Wings.

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

momma said there would be seasons like this...

To any toddlers today, these aren't your fathers' Red Wings. They are, however, their grandfathers' Red Wings.

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

To any toddlers today, these aren't your fathers' Red Wings. They are, however, their grandfathers' Red Wings.

i remember going to bed as a kid listening to bruce martyn waxing poetic about randy ladoceur and greg jolly and missing the playoffs every year.

10 minutes ago, holygoat said:

I loved Reed Larson and Denis Polonich.

Troll.  Names like that and Nedomanski and Foligno just hurt to see again.

Reed Larson was one of my favorites. I recall at least one time when his booming slap shot went right through the net's mesh and I thought that was the wildest thing.

The one player I remember taking a real disliking to though was for Dan Maloney. I don't recall why. I used to call him Pigman.

when i was a kid i was sure that john ogrodnick was the greatest player in nhl history.

18 hours ago, Buddha said:

when i was a kid i was sure that john ogrodnick was the greatest player in nhl history.

Johnny O does have staying power. Or at least my jersey from 1984 does. This was back in 2009, but still in my closet ready to be brought out for a big game on a moment's notice, which are less common these days.

DSC01432.JPG

DSC01433.JPG

• Like 1

Rasmussen a healthy scratch for tonight's game in Montreal. Ouch. But let's not overreact, it has only been 5 games. A couple of games observing from the press box can't hurt, he hasn't been effective.

theyre going to send rasmussen down as soon as svechnikov is ready.

habs and wings.  my two favorite teams going at it.

original 6 hockey games are always a little better, imo.