six-hopper

Good thing we got rid of Brad Ausmus and his 64-98 record and replaced him with the experienced Ron Illadvisedhire, who has led the Tigers to . . .

The 2003 team has Moya in the future.

The 2018 team has Moya in the rearview.

Hey, the 2003 team had AJ Hinch, who managed a World Series team last year.  Do the 2018 Tigers have another future World Series winning manager?  

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

Hey, the 2003 team had AJ Hinch, who managed a World Series team last year.  Do the 2018 Tigers have another future World Series winning manager?  

Other than The Deuce?

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

Other than The Deuce?

I can't see him ever managing.  He is too laid back and there isn't enough money in it.  His father would be a good fit.  

19 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I'm pretty amazed that this team won 64 games.  This was a lesser team than the 2003 team.

By any objective measure, the 2003 team was vastly worse than this year's.

The 2003 team scored 591 runs and gave up 928, a difference of 337.  (That's a difference of more than two runs a game over 162.)

The 2018 team scored 630 runs and gave up 796, a difference of 166 -- less than half the difference of the 03 team.

The Pythagorean Expectation of the 2003 team was 49-113.  They were six games worse than that, at 43-119.  That is worse than what would be expected of an entire team of Replacement Level players.

The Pythagorean Expectation for the 2018 team was 64-98.  They were right on the button at 64-98.

For the 2003 team, the overall WAR of the nonpitchers was 5.1, and the overall WAR of the pitchers was -1.1 (yes, in the negative).

For the 2018 team, the overall WAR of the nonpitchers was 8.6, and the overall WAR of the pitchers was 8.8.

The 2018 team sucked.  The 2003 team was historically bad.

The 2003 team was worse.  I liked them better because I saw it as a cleansing after years of poor management and crappy teams.  This year's team was a new beginning too, but it came after years of mostly winning baseball, so I didn't enjoy it so much.  I also liked that nobody was trying to convince me that the 2003 team was better than I though or fun to watch.  

One thing that made this year's team bearable was the improved bullpen.... at least my perception is that the bullpen was better.  I havent looked into the numbers.

Really the only good thing about 2003 was buying a cheap ticket and sitting anywhere I wanted. I even sat right behind home plate and, when the usher barked a little, I said I would move if the ticket holder arrived. They never did. I went to a lot of games that season and sat behind home plate a lot. Saw Vlad as an Expo.

• Like 2

The other thing with the 03 team is they won their last 5 games to avoid 120 losses and I suspect some remember that fondly.

3 hours ago, six-hopper said:

By any objective measure, the 2003 team was vastly worse than this year's.

The 2003 team scored 591 runs and gave up 928, a difference of 337.  (That's a difference of more than two runs a game over 162.)

The 2018 team scored 630 runs and gave up 796, a difference of 166 -- less than half the difference of the 03 team.

The Pythagorean Expectation of the 2003 team was 49-113.  They were six games worse than that, at 43-119.  That is worse than what would be expected of an entire team of Replacement Level players.

The Pythagorean Expectation for the 2018 team was 64-98.  They were right on the button at 64-98.

For the 2003 team, the overall WAR of the nonpitchers was 5.1, and the overall WAR of the pitchers was -1.1 (yes, in the negative).

For the 2018 team, the overall WAR of the nonpitchers was 8.6, and the overall WAR of the pitchers was 8.8.

The 2018 team sucked.  The 2003 team was historically bad.

Correct.

And not to put too fine a point on it, Dmitri Young had a WAR of 3.4 in 2003.  Remove him from the non-pitchers, and the remaining non pitcher aggregate WAR was 1.7 paired with pitcher aggregate WAR of -1.1.

That is mind-bendingly bad.

JaCoby Jones was a 2.0 WAR player this past season as a frame of reference.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The other thing with the 03 team is they won their last 5 games to avoid 120 losses and I suspect some remember that fondly.

I do.   Honestly it's what got me back into baseball after a few years of mostly disinterest.

I met my wife in 03 and I was pretty out of baseball at that point, but I do recall going down and getting great seats a couple times with her in the 04 season.  That is when my renewed love of baseball started.  Having lost the love for 10 years or so and coming back 2 years before 06...I didn't appreciate it as much which made 12 hurt that much more.

10 hours ago, Casimir said:

Cheer up.  We still have the down slope of Cabrera's career to follow for the next 5 seasons.

yay :)

I was just using the 2003 season as a frame of reference as to how down I am on the Tigers now.  At least with their lineup.  There is some help coming, but a lot of work that needs to be done.