six-hopper

Good thing we got rid of Brad Ausmus and his 64-98 record and replaced him with the experienced Ron Illadvisedhire, who has led the Tigers to . . .

11 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

I miss when Jim used to have Clete Thomas bat third. Yeah. I miss that.

That's right, I'd forgotten that when Leyland sat down a regular, the sub inherited not only the regular's position, but the regular's batting order slot as well. Super genius.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

That's right, I'd forgotten that when Leyland sat down a regular, the sub inherited not only the regular's position, but the regular's batting order slot as well. Super genius.

Hey it didnt work out great when clete hit third as evident by his .597 ops in that spot. But he should hit fifth more where he was babe ruth esc 1.164 ops

It mattered not.

Alternately, I long for the days where out ***** with the team was they ran out Thomas to bat 3rd once every other week.

oh man i totally missed the Ronny Illadvised hire joke.

On 10/1/2018 at 11:26 AM, chasfh said:

Right up there with Sparky Anderson using Dave Collins or some some scrub off the bench as the DH and batting him ninth.

Sparky, who was no rocket scientist, not only didn't like the DH, he didn't understand it .  He also routinely started his bench players more than any other manager in baseball, so as not to let them get "stale."  But, of course, fresh or stale, the 25th guy on the roster is almost always a piece of krap, and the bench is where he belongs. 

3 hours ago, six-hopper said:

He also routinely started his bench players more than any other manager in baseball, so as not to let them get "stale."  

Sparky had this weird idea that then time to rest a guy was when he was really hot, because ....well. ..I dunno - nothing he said about it made sense. But that is largely what he did. 

On 9/30/2018 at 5:53 PM, six-hopper said:

a 64-98 record.

Gardy got his 64 wins at a lower payroll cost, therefore he is a more efficient manager

Gardy 1 Ausmus 0

1 hour ago, Tim Mitchell said:

Brad had some weapons and still sucked. Ausmus sucks. 

I think people over-estimate the amount of talent Ausmus had on his teams.  

21 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

especially healthy talent.  

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Perhaps true. 

But similarly ..I think some people over-estimate the amount of positive Ausmus himself brought to the team.

4 years of managing some of the greatest talent in Detroit Tiger history ..and he decided he would have left the Tigers anyway if they had asked him to stay for a 5th year.  He then said he needed a break from managing anywhere.  

.......Seriously, a manager needs a 'break' after only 4 years experience?  

Ausmus was terrible and he knew it.  A 'kinder' way to put it is that Ausmus underachieved!

Perhaps Brad Ausmus will get another managing job shortly after this year's World Series is over.  He may very well succeed with a different organization.  .. .. .. but fact remains that Brad Ausmus was not a very good manager for the Tigers.

10 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Perhaps true. 

But similarly ..I think some people over-estimate the amount of positive Ausmus himself brought to the team.

4 years of managing some of the greatest talent in Detroit Tiger history ..and he decided he would have left the Tigers anyway if they had asked him to stay for a 5th year.  He then said he needed a break from managing anywhere.  

.......Seriously, a manager needs a 'break' after only 4 years experience?  

He was terrible and he knew it.  Perhaps he'll get another managing job shortly after this year's World Series is over.  He may very well succeed with a different organization.  .. .. .. but fact remains that Brad Ausmus was not a very good manager for the Tigers.

There really isn't anyone out that that has praised Ausmus. There may have been some high expectations when he was first hired since he was supposedly an up and coming, young man that represented the new age manager that embraced analytics. Instead, we got a very mediocre manager that still managed to first place, so he got the benefit of the doubt. Then he got rolled over by Showalter in the ALDS and ever since then he has been the most hated man in Detroit.

Everyone wanted him out. Ausmus wasn't oblivious to this. He knew what fans were saying on social media.  It emotionally drained him, which is why he needed the break. The Yankees wanted him to interview for their vacant manager position and he passed.  He knew that Yankee fans were going to be 10x worse than Tiger fans, who were pretty harsh on him already. 

Leyland knew when to bail out. He could see the future of the Tigers and wanted to go out on top.  He didn't want to end his career the same way Gardenhire ended his career in Minnesota.  Do you think Minnesota fans love Gardenhire for his first 9 years or hate him for his final 4 years? I would guess the later. We live in a "what have done for me lately" society. 

9 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

There really isn't anyone out that that has praised Ausmus. There may have been some high expectations when he was first hired since he was supposedly an up and coming, young man that represented the new age manager that embraced analytics. Instead, we got a very mediocre manager that still managed to first place, so he got the benefit of the doubt. Then he got rolled over by Showalter in the ALDS and ever since then he has been the most hated man in Detroit.

Everyone wanted him out. Ausmus wasn't oblivious to this. He knew what fans were saying on social media.  It emotionally drained him, which is why he needed the break. The Yankees wanted him to interview for their vacant manager position and he passed.  He knew that Yankee fans were going to be 10x worse than Tiger fans, who were pretty harsh on him already. 

Leyland knew when to bail out. He could see the future of the Tigers and wanted to go out on top.  He didn't want to end his career the same way Gardenhire ended his career in Minnesota.  Do you think Minnesota fans love Gardenhire for his first 9 years or hate him for his final 4 years? I would guess the later. We live in a "what have done for me lately" society. 

"the most hated man in Detroit"

I'm trying.  Just give me a little more time on this board.

6 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

"the most hated man in Detroit"

I'm trying.  Just give me a little more time on this board.

Don't give us or yourself too much credit, we are a cul-de-sac here...

btw:  ... speaking of "talent" ..

2014 = VMart, JD, Miggy, Hunter, RjDavis, Ian, Austin Jackson, Nick, Avila, a very young Suarez ..plus pitchers Max, JV, Porcello, Anibal, Drew Smyly, David Price, a very young Knebel.

2015 = Miggy, JD, Ian, VMart, Cespedes, Iggy, Nick, AVila, RjDavis, Avila, McCann, Gose ..plus pitchers Price, JV, Anibal, Alex Wilson, J Soria.  (DD fired August 5.)

2016 = Miggy, Nick, Ian, VMart, JD, JUpton, Maybin, Iggy, McCann ..plus pitchers JV, Fulmer (RoY), Boyd, Norris, Zimm, Anibal, J Wilson, A Wilson, Greene

2017 = Nick, Iggy, Miggy, Ian, JUpton, VMart, JD, Avila, McCann, Mahtook ..plus pitchers JV, Zimm, Boyd, Fulmer, Norris, Anibal, Greene, AWilson, JWilson, Greene.

I know there were injuries ..but there were also players who either 'underachieved' or who may not have been utilized properly to maximize their respective talents.  

Brad Ausmus had more talent than a lot of other managers who did not finish last twice in four years.

20 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Leyland knew when to bail out.

Jim Leyland's last 2 or 3 seasons as Tiger manager ..I believe he was perfectly content to sign only 1-year contracts.  I also believe he knew that with just a minor tweek or two ..the Tigers were talented enough to win it all the season after he retired.

I think Leyland just got tired of managing.

18 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Brad Ausmus had more talent than a lot of other managers who did not finish last twice in four years.

I still think that as counter intuitive as it may be, he just had none of that 6th sense a manager needs about when to pull his pitchers and how to use them when he was making moves. Yes - he didn't have a very good pen, but he made it even worse than it was. He was basically Alan Trammell II in that regard. Didn't expect Tram would have no clue either.

7 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Jim Leyland's last 2 or 3 seasons as Tiger manager ..I believe he was perfectly content to sign only 1-year contracts.  I also believe he knew that with just a minor tweek or two ..the Tigers were talented enough to win it all the season after he retired.

I think Leyland just got tired of managing.

Leyland had to be burned out just from BP options DD was leaving him with.

16 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I still think that as counter intuitive as it may be, he just had none of that 6th sense a manager needs about when to pull his pitchers and how to use them when he was making moves. Yes - he didn't have a very good pen, but he made it even worse than it was. He was basically Alan Trammell II in that regard. Didn't expect Tram would have no clue either.

I don't think Gardenhire was any better at when to pull his pitchers. 

11 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

I don't think Gardenhire was any better at when to pull his pitchers. 

I think that with wins not really meaning much this year,  Gardy sort of divided the game into those that looked winnable and those that didn't managed his better BP pitchers and his bad BP pitchers as almost two different groups.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Don't give us or yourself too much credit, we are a cul-de-sac here...

A journey around the Detroit area begins with a single step.

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Six-Hopper thread...

RSS Feeder thread.