Tenacious D

2018-19 Off-season Thread

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

You've apparently never been to Windsor.

I’ve been there a few times. Does that matter?

Do 19 and 20 year olds still go to Windsor?  My son turned 18 in December and he and his friends really don't show any interest in partying like that... the worst I've had to deal with is vaping.  He tells me about all the kids in school who smoke pot and drink and makes fun of them.

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Do 19 and 20 year olds still go to Windsor?  My son turned 18 in December and he and his friends really don't show any interest in partying like that... the worst I've had to deal with is vaping.  He tells me about all the kids in school who smoke pot and drink and makes fun of them.

Dad swerve.................this is a sure sign he's smoking like a pit BBQ.

9 minutes ago, Oblong said:

It does seem like the yutes are less interested in going to great lengths to do these types of things. 

Of course, when I was 19, you could basically come and go from Windsor without any documentation. Now you need an enhanced drivers license or passport. 

Windsor was so unique for me at the time because it was basically my first exposure to a bustling city like atmosphere. Detroit was dead and of course we couldn’t go to the bars here  

The last time I went was spring of 2001. 

31 minutes ago, Shelton said:

It does seem like the yutes are less interested in going to great lengths to do these types of things. 

Of course, when I was 19, you could basically come and go from Windsor without any documentation. Now you need an enhanced drivers license or passport. 

Windsor was so unique for me at the time because it was basically my first exposure to a bustling city like atmosphere. Detroit was dead and of course we couldn’t go to the bars here  

The last time I went was spring of 2001. 

I know what you mean... for me, I turned 19 in 1992.  We went to a place called Canada Tavern and later Don Cherry's.  It helped that my then girlfriend (now wife) best friend lived in Windsor.  So we'd go to his house as a base, then head out.  I only did that a few times in terms of bars though, if we wanted to drink we'd just hang out at Marc's.  When finished we stopped at McDonald's, ate a bunch of french fries to "sober up" then drunkenly declare our citizenship.  Different times for sure.

43 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Dad swerve.................this is a sure sign he's smoking like a pit BBQ.

Nah... last year I gave him my old car but i would still drive it to basball games, to save miles.  When opened the center console to get the toothbrush I kept in there, I found a package of those cigarillos... that's the kind of thing that makes a mom crazy but I just blew it off.  The same package is still in there.  

He and his friends are in Panama City right now.  One set of parents went with them to stay close by but the kids are on their own.  We're told they basically hang out in the room, go on the beach, and eat.  It's the same group of friends since first grade.  We're lucky.  They're all good kids.  He's a slacker like I was.  Drives my wife crazy but I'm confident he'll figure it out.  I was the same way.  Ace the tests, don't do any daily work, and fight to get a C.  He's very smart.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Your experience is consistent with national trends. It's well documented that teen drug and alcohol use have decreased dramatically since the 90s.  Vaping is the new thing. 

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

I’ve been there a few times. Does that matter?

I mean more than just the ballet. 😉

55 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Your experience is consistent with national trends. It's well documented that teen drug and alcohol use have decreased dramatically since the 90s.  Vaping is the new thing. 

Not that I am a fan of helicopter parenting in general, but I think this might be an actual side benefit of that. 

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Not that I am a fan of helicopter parenting in general, but I think this might be an actual side benefit of that. 

My son and his friends will often just sit out in a car in front of the house.... they're all on their phones.  It's a connectivity issue.  Our generation would just drive up and down Telegraph.  Or you'd stop somewhere where other kids were and just hang out in the parking lot.  The idea was that's how we connected back then.  Now the kids don't need to drive up and down telegraph to find people.  They're all together via instagram or whatever app they're using nowadays.   When kids got together at someone's house they got curious.... now that curiousity doesn't come out because they're constantly stimulated other ways.

Remember talking with a friend on the phone for hours even though you both were just sitting there watching TV and not really talking about anything important?  Now that's texting or whatever. When my son watches a sporting event he's half watching half on twitter to see what everyone else is saying about the game.

I never see him watching anything attentively, yet I know he knows it because he'll reference some show from Netflix or podcast he listened to.... I don't ever see him watching or listening..... maybe he's doing it at school.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I agree that could be the reason.. There are pros and cons and this could be one of the pros.  

My general feeling is that too much attention from parents is better than not enough.  I think added attention gives children more security and keeps them out of trouble.  They grow up a little slower, but I believe better too slow than too fast. I don't think it holds them back forever as some fear.    I believe most, especially the ambitious ones, will eventually will still break away from an over protective environment and do their own thing.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I agree that could be the reason.. There are pros and cons and this could be one of the pros.  

My general feeling is that too much attention from parents is better than not enough.  I think added attention gives children more security and keeps them out of trouble.  They grow up a little slower, but I believe better too slow than too fast. I don't think it holds them back forever as some fear.    I believe most, especially the ambitious ones, will eventually will still break away from an over protective environment and do their own thing.  

Are they old enough for us to know this definitively? I hope I live to see the results of that study.

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I think this is pretty close.   My kids always knew that I was sort of monitoring them while allowing them as much freedom as I felt appropriate.   Sure they screwed up some but overall I'm happy with them.  No world beaters but all solid citizens and still get along with Dad.   I'm a firm believer in letting people fail and learn, just being there to soften the fall a bit if it looks too severe.

23 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Are they old enough for us to know this definitively? I hope I live to see the results of that study.

It's not based on any study.  It's just my observation and opinion. Can we do that here ? 🙂That's not to say that that every kid benefits from a lot of parental involvement.  Some need more space than others, but  I do think some worry too much about independence from family in this country.

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I am starting to come around on this way of thinking a little.  I was JUST talking to my mom about this very thing a couple days ago.  We were raised 'free range' and we got to do a lot of cool things and explore...I cannot imagine letting my kids do that now...that may be because they are still toddlers and I do not recall when our free range became a thing, but we were in and out of the house all the time just doing whatever.

Will I think that is alright in 6-7 years when the kids are 10-11?  Maybe.  I have no idea.  My wife....will not think it is alright.

There is a delicate balance with kids.  It is a constant source of anxiety for me wondering if I am doing things the right way...is my way the right way?  etc...My way is the only way I know and the only way I can do it.

My friends and I used to roam all over the place, especially in the summer.  My parents were both teachers and were around a lot though.  They gave me my freedom, but they knew a couple of my friends were potential bad influences, so they kept an eye out.

8 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It's not based on any study.  It's just my observation and opinion. Can we do that here ? 🙂That's not to say that that every kid benefits from a lot of parental involvement.  Some need more space than others, but  I do think some worry too much about independence from family in this country.

This wasn't meant as a dig on you. I do wonder how helicopter parenting will manifest itself in the kids' adulthoods.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This wasn't meant as a dig on you. I do wonder how helicopter parenting will manifest itself in the kids' adulthoods.

It just seems like every generation thinks the next generation is growing up too soft and each generation seems to do fine in the end.