Tenacious D

2018-19 Off-season Thread

So it is official, the starting rotation will be:

Zimmerman

Boyd

Moore

Turnbull

Ross

Looks like Norris will work out of the pen. 

12 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

World series he we come!

What city are we visiting this year?

• Haha 1

over $1 billion spent on extensions for just ten players this year.  must be collusion.

someone alert craig calcaterra!  

On 3/26/2019 at 10:18 AM, Buddha said:

over $1 billion spent on extensions for just ten players this year.  must be collusion.

someone alert craig calcaterra!  

The collusion claims don't hold water.  The players' union made some bad bargains -- like allowing draft pick compensation to be tied to free agent signings.  And the teams overall  have gotten much smarter  -- what with the pocket-protector guys crunching the numbers and all -- about things like the relative values of young players versus old ones, and the insanity of committing to  paying once-great players huge amounts of money in their decline and replacement-level years, and the fact that a pitcher who throws only 50-70 innings a year, one inning at a time -- even if he does so brilliantly -- isn't worth nearly as much to his team's record as many were once deluded into believing. 

Some "stupid money" will still be spent, but probably much more on great players in or entering their primes than on guys who have already passed their peaks.  No more -- or at least a lot fewer -- 40-ish Derek Jeters making a top-shelf salary while putting up an OPS+ of 76, as DJ did in his final season, or Miguel Cabreras making 30 million or more per as injury-prone shells of their former selves.

Over $1 billion spent on three players. Free agency is completely fixed.

• Like 1

On Monday, March 25, 2019 at 8:03 PM, 1776 said:

Zimmerman

Boyd

Moore

Turnbull

Ross

Should finish 1-5 for the Cy Young Award.  Going to be a tight intrasquad race.

On Monday, March 25, 2019 at 8:03 PM, 1776 said:

Zimmerman

Boyd

Moore

Turnbull

Ross

Should finish 1-5 for the Cy Young Award.  Going to be a tight intrasquad race.

4 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

This is my last post of the off-season.

I'll miss that version of you.

Don't worry.  Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better.  So you have something to look forward to.

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Put a pin in this thread.  No more posts, please.

Concur.

From the Department of FWIW—one last post from the player poll in the Athletic:

11. Do you think there has been collusion among teams that has affected free agency? 

Yes: 40%
No: 17%
Don’t know: 43%

In their own words:

Players who said yes:
“A thousand percent.”

“I would’ve said I don’t know, but then the Mark Reynolds thing came out, where he got no calls, and then in the span of a week he got five with the same offer. How does every team view him in the exact same way?”

“My gut says yes. When you see a bunch of teams doing the exact same thing … I mean, if we all walked in here wearing pink nail polish, you’d think something was up.”

“Definitely. I’ve heard that from several players.”

Players who said no:
“I don’t there’s direct (collusion). I don’t think they’re that stupid. Is there like eye contact and decisions being made that are very clearly easily made without even talking? Absolutely. That’s been happening. It’s astoundingly clear now because of the way teams are giving contracts. You see a bunch of guys getting minor-league contract offers on the exact same day. It’s not just a coincidence all over the place. You’re naive if you think it’s a coincidence, but you’re also naive if you think there’s a secret Slack channel with all the owners.”

“Collusion is a strong word. I don’t think the owners are going that far; they’re too smart for that. I think it’s more like there’s a gentleman’s agreement about things.”

“Guys are still getting paid.”

Players who said they don’t know:
“‘Collusion’ is a very intense word to use. I think just the way the numbers are used and age is used, it’s hindered free agency a lot. Now 30 or 31 is old, which doesn’t make sense. If you want to call 35, 36 old, fine. Steroids aren’t around anymore, which is why you had someone hit 70 home runs at age 36. No one wants to pay attention to that, but that’s why they don’t want to give away these 10-year contracts that ‘don’t work’ on the back end. Steroids is really what hurt the long contracts.”

“It’s hard to prove.”

Notes: As multiple players told us, collusion is indeed hard to prove — and so is its absence. Nevertheless, fewer than one in five players we polled felt confident that owners were notcolluding

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Notes: As multiple players told us, collusion is indeed hard to prove — and so is its absence. Nevertheless, fewer than one in five players we polled felt confident that owners were notcolluding

Yes, you bolded the 43% don't know part, but the 17% no is what stuck out to me.

Please, can we stop posting and make this thread go away?  If you support this, please respond here. Thanks 

56 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Please, can we stop posting and make this thread go away?  If you support this, please respond here. Thanks 

D81C535E-3FDF-4BF3-806B-517CA9830CD5.jpeg.3592d18365213f0704bdf3bc8ddc94d4.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Absolutely.  Your post that I just quoted should be the very last one in this thread.

2 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Absolutely.  Your post that I just quoted should be the very last one in this thread.

Awesome, thanks!

29 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Awesome, thanks!

I love to see such examples of polite discourse among our members, it gives me hope for America.

This will defintely be the last post of the thread.