Tenacious D

2018-19 Off-season Thread

23 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Seems like a bad sign when your young starting pitcher has basically been seriously injured for 2.5 years in a row now

What likely happened is that he was overcompensating for his knee by overusing his arm, until he blew it out.  He probably rushed himself trying to get ready for opening day.  

Thankfully the great Al Avila didnt take Jimenez and Cease for Fulmer when offered...

9 minutes ago, MDMAzing said:

Thankfully the great Al Avila didnt take Jimenez and Cease for Fulmer when offered...

Do you have any record of this being offered?

46 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Artie lewicki last year?

Not exactly what I was going for. 

I don't think this makes us any worse this year. I guess I wasn't very high on Fulmer in the first place. I think the revolving door of hot hands for Toledo will outperform what he could have done.

17 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Morosi or Rosenthal said that the cubs offered this and were turned down so they moved on to Quintana.  There was a video of one of them saying it posted here somewhere.

43 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

What likely happened is that he was overcompensating for his knee by overusing his arm, until he blew it out.  He probably rushed himself trying to get ready for opening day.  

See: Mark Fidrych 

37 minutes ago, MDMAzing said:

There are a lot of other things that would have changed if that  was a legitimate offer and was accepted.  Verlander likely doesn't get traded to the Astros as they were runners up on Quintana.  So we don't have Cameron, Perez, and Rogers in our system.  Now we would still have Verlander who may have then been traded last year and who knows what we get from him then.

30 minutes ago, MDMAzing said:

Morosi or Rosenthal said that the cubs offered this and were turned down so they moved on to Quintana.  There was a video of one of them saying it posted here somewhere.

Perhaps. We also heard Happ, Baez, and Schwarber in different deals, from what I remember. 

Regardless, I don’t doubt that offers were made for Fulmer, and in hindsight pretty much any deal seems preferable to what we have now. 

43 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

There are a lot of other things that would have changed if that  was a legitimate offer and was accepted.  Verlander likely doesn't get traded to the Astros as they were runners up on Quintana.  So we don't have Cameron, Perez, and Rogers in our system.  Now we would still have Verlander who may have then been traded last year and who knows what we get from him then.

I mean, maybe.  But id take Jimenez by himself over all 3 of them combined and im a big Cameron fan.

4 hours ago, Oblong said:

Looks like Fulmer is headed for Tommy John

He's going to make us forget about Kerry Wood

1 hour ago, 4hzglory said:

jimenez is a better prospect than all three of those guys.  and then you just wait and deal verlander the next year.

IIRC...UCL ruptures are usually preceded by a loss in FB velo...did he rupture his elbow compensating for his knee. Or did his knee become an issue last year...did he try to drive off that right knee too hard to find the lost velo?

Either way...he's got quite a long period of time ahead of him to figure it out.  Or develop a secondary career choice as MLB pitcher appears to be a fading option

This latest injury to Michael Fulmer comes as no surprise.  I figured it was more than the 'knee' ..but that the Tigers were still trying to figure out what.  Now it is just another injury disaster the Tigers have on their hands.  I have now written Fulmer off as a potential Tigers star at any time in the future.

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

They never offered that. They talked about Schwarber for Fulmer.

I believe that Fulmer will return at least as a useful bullpen piece and possibly as a starter.  The UCL stuff has probably been going on for years as with many hard throwers. 

It sucks.

What sucks for Fulmer is that since this was not a case of outright rupture,  if it is bad enough for surgery now, it was probably bad enough for surgery last fall, which means he could have saved himself 6mo if he had known this is where he was going. 

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

What sucks for Fulmer is that since this was not a case of outright rupture,  if it is bad enough for surgery now, it was probably bad enough for surgery last fall, which means he could have saved himself 6mo if he had known this is where he was going. 

I suspect these guys in nearly every case hide it / deny it until they cannot any longer.

Some in the media are making a big deal about who is going to replace Fulmer. Wait. What? Wasn't Fulmer already shut down? He was already out indefinitely.

1 hour ago, TigerNation said:

They never offered that. They talked about Schwarber for Fulmer.

You sure?

5:10...

2 hours ago, MDMAzing said:

You sure?

5:10...

if that was true and we didnt take it, its a disgrace.

14 hours ago, Buddha said:

if that was true and we didnt take it, its a disgrace.

No it's not. Fulmer was a rookie who had crazy upside. Quintana, as we've established multiple times, was a bit overrated and had less team control.