Tenacious D

2018-19 Off-season Thread

4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I haven't seen this story mentioned here - may have missed it - but it's currently on the main page of Reddit.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/jeff-seidel/2019/03/09/detroit-tigers-matthew-boyd-sex-slavery-uganda/3067439002/

Note: kinduv an unfortunate URL. If you click on the link, it's about Boyd helping out in the fight against sex slavery, not being involved in sex slavery.

The MLB app carries insights of the different playes all along. This story was on the site some weeks back. I have a lot of respect for what he and his wife are involved in. These pieces are informative and nice to read. You see these guys in a different light after learning where their hearts are.

For a guy like Norris...thinking "I'm fixed" is close to the same thing as being fixed.  He seems like the kind of player who's emotions are his worst enemy

The question comes to mind, where has the pitching coach been???

if in fact Zimm got him fixed, great! 

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

The question comes to mind, where has the pitching coach been???

if in fact Zimm got him fixed, great! 

I wondered that also, but  Zimmerman maybe had seen more of Norris before he was hurt than Anderson. But it does goes to the question of whether they had a film library on guys going back even as recently as 3/4years ago. 

33 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I wondered that also, but  Zimmerman maybe had seen more of Norris before he was hurt than Anderson. But it does goes to the question of whether they had a film library on guys going back even as recently as 3/4years ago. 

Like Norris said, he has always had that recoil, so I could see how it might be tough to spot.

i think that’s one benefit of having veterans or good “clubhouse guys” on a roster. Coaches are great and all, but they aren’t playing the game. 

56 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Like Norris said, he has always had that recoil, so I could see how it might be tough to spot.

i think that’s one benefit of having veterans or good “clubhouse guys” on a roster. Coaches are great and all, but they aren’t playing the game. 

Good point.

And it is also possible Zimm is pitching in close proximity to Norris more frequently than Anderson is in close proximity to Norris and picked up on it be virtue of being near him more.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Players may also be more responsive to veteran peers than to coaches in certain circumstances.  Biggs is a good example.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

this goes to the question of having technology, vs having technology. It's one thing to have film on file, it's another to have developed a system for recording identical angles at identical focal lengths and having overlay capability (and staffers trained to do it) to pick up what is hard to see.

Biggs was *very* receptive to pointers and tips from his fencing peers. They helped him refine his thrust. They really bent over for him. 

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

this goes to the question of having technology, vs having technology. It's one thing to have film on file, it's another to have a system for recording identical angles at identical focal lengths and having overlay capability (and staffers trained to do it) to pick up what is hard to see.

True. Although even for guys with a very repeatable delivery, there is still enough variance in each case that it can remain difficult to identify a small difference. 

If there is a major kinematic change video overlay can help, obviously. 

For a guy with Norris’s delivery, who knows. 

34 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Biggs was *very* receptive to pointers and tips from his fencing peers. They helped him refine his thrust. They really bent over for him. 

**** me

They are getting rid of the waiver trade deadline this year! All trades will have to be made by 7/31 per Ken Rosenthal($):

The switch to a single non-waiver deadline on July 31, which according to sources will be among the rules changes Major League Baseball and the players’ union adopt this season, will eliminate the indecipherable trade waivers in August, baseball’s version of the U.S. tax code.

The idea, first proposed by the union, is to protect the competitive integrity of the 162-game regular season, create more certainty for players and force teams to decide earlier whether they are buyers or sellers.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

**** me

that was the problem... it was always about you you you.... you needed to be a team player.  Sometimes you have to be willing to take it on the chin for the greater good.

1 hour ago, kdog said:

They are getting rid of the waiver trade deadline this year! All trades will have to be made by 7/31 per Ken Rosenthal($):

I like it.

21 minutes ago, Oblong said:

that was the problem... it was always about you you you.... you needed to be a team player.  Sometimes you have to be willing to take it on the chin for the greater good.

There was that one time where he made a mistake on a parry. Those guys really gave him a mouthful after that. 

23 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

How will the Tigers foist their players onto desperate quasi contenders now? 

will there be less of those at the end of july than the end of august?

21 hours ago, Buddha said:

will there be less of those at the end of july than the end of august?

Fair point, we should be out of the race nice and early 

4 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

Fair point, we should be out of the race nice and early 

So we might as well  get a bunch of top prospects for Miggy and Zimmermann right now.  And make a really big splash by moving Jordy Mercer.

16 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

So we might as well  get a bunch of top prospects for Miggy and Zimmermann right now.  And make a really big splash by moving Jordy Mercer.

Might as well trade Casey Mize now before his value goes downhill.