Tenacious D

2018-19 Off-season Thread

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It's hard to herd cats.

My guess is that the effort to “speed up the game” has as much to do with tv as it does with improving the experience at the game, considering that the tv audience drawfs the in game audience, and all the money to be made via tv. 

It’s hard to cram in an ad during a mound visit or while pitchers and batters are fiddling around between pitches. 

So a typical game will have the same number of commercial breaks, more or less. If a tv partner can air X number of ads in a smaller window, that leaves more time for other programming and ads after the game is over. Those 30-second spots add up. 

9 minutes ago, Shelton said:

My guess is that the effort to “speed up the game” has as much to do with tv as it does with improving the experience at the game, considering that the tv audience drawfs the in game audience, and all the money to be made via tv. 

It’s hard to cram in an ad during a mound visit or while pitchers and batters are fiddling around between pitches. 

So a typical game will have the same number of commercial breaks, more or less. If a tv partner can air X number of ads in a smaller window, that leaves more time for other programming and ads after the game is over. Those 30-second spots add up. 

Don't forget all the ads that pop up between pitches. Or the time you spend looking at the ads behind home plate between pitches. I guess those can't be as valuable, but they must help, and speeding the game up must reduce their value and opportunities to show them.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

"That Manny Machado wound up signing a record contract with the San Diego Padres is not proof that, as Tom Verducci had it in Sports Illustrated, 'free agency is fine.' The fact that Verducci even felt compelled to say so is, in a roundabout way, proof that it isn’t. In this case, it seems safe to believe what you see."

I agree, it's clear free agency is still broken in favor of the players. Perhaps a hard salary cap is needed to prevent these insane contracts? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bobrob2004 said:

If only Iglesias had the grit and leadership to get a $5 million contract like Mercer.  

Scouting report on Jose Hot Dog is pretty harsh: "Crappy, not scrappy."

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I remember reading an article comparing a typical game from the mid-80s to a typical game from the 2010s.  It found that they both had a bunch of commercials and some pitching changes here and there, but the biggest difference was the time between pitches.  That was what made one game 2 hours and the other 3 hours.  

A pitch clock would solve a lot of their problems.  

I think the difficulty is - obviously - getting the players to agree to it.  God forbid we don't allow Scherzer 30 seconds to stare at the catcher before he throws the ball.

what's the story behind Iglesias? Avila cannot give him away for 2 years. No one wants to sign an elite defender at a premium position, but Galvis and Mercer who are (slightly) lesser players get $5-6M. His rep must really be bad.

1 minute ago, mightytyke said:

Per MLB trade rumors, he's talking with the Reds about a minor league contract.  I think that Iglesias overvalues himself. 

No one else will sign him because Avila is stupid and Illitch is cheap.  ?

46 minutes ago, Buddha said:

I remember reading an article comparing a typical game from the mid-80s to a typical game from the 2010s.  It found that they both had a bunch of commercials and some pitching changes here and there, but the biggest difference was the time between pitches.  That was what made one game 2 hours and the other 3 hours.  

A pitch clock would solve a lot of their problems.  

I think the difficulty is - obviously - getting the players to agree to it.  God forbid we don't allow Scherzer 30 seconds to stare at the catcher before he throws the ball.

I read that article, too. The guy found two games similar numbers of base runners and pitching changes or something. 

9 minutes ago, Casimir said:

You couldn't wait to use that, could you?

I was hoping to twin the race to say it first. 

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I was hoping t'win the race to say it first. 

Fixed it for you.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

what's the story behind Iglesias? Avila cannot give him away for 2 years. No one wants to sign an elite defender at a premium position, but Galvis and Mercer who are (slightly) lesser players get $5-6M. His rep must really be bad.

Iglesias' personality and showboating clashed with Gardenhire and possibility with other managers/players, making him a not ideal clubhouse guy.  

Mercer has so-called leadership qualities, which makes him a better fit for managers like Gardenhire.  

5 hours ago, Oblong said:

“He brings the energy,” Mercer said. “He’s a good clubhouse guy — good guy in general — and a good family man. He’s somebody for these kids to look up to — I think that’s the biggest thing — and to have a guy like that to go about his business, play the game the right way and do all the little things, it’s good to have.”

Did he really say all that?  That's perfect.  

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Did he really say all that?  That's perfect.  

We have new leadership and so far we're undefeated.   Coincidence?   I think not.

“He’s a good get for us,” manager Ron Gardenhire said. “Positive person, a leader, proven himself at this level and another guy that can help improve our situation this year and maybe beyond.”

Harrison’s impending addition — he is scheduled to undergo a physical exam and report to Tiger Town this weekend — unquestionably makes the Tigers a better team. He will start at second base, moving Niko Goodrum into a super-utility role, which bolsters the team’s depth, and should provide an important presence both on the field and in the clubhouse.

“It’s not only just the player on the field,” Gardenhire said. “He’s a teacher — we have some young players that he can help — and it kind of fell in our lap, which is awesome. He’s going to be a really good fit for our baseball team.”

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2019/02/21/josh-harrison-detroit-tigers-free-agent-mlb-trade-rumors/2939947002/

If they have to tout his leadership and mentorship skills over his baseball skills, that basically tells us what they wanted when they got him. 

3 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Scouting report on Jose Hot Dog is pretty harsh: "Crappy, not scrappy."

Mathematical equation: 

Scrappy - S =