Tenacious D

2018-19 Off-season Thread

23 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

yeah, I don't give a crap about Tigerfest.  It's probably a fun thing if you have kids, but I doubt I would go to it myself even if I was local.

It's funny though.  The Red Sox have never done anything like that.  No caravans either.  Do they still do caravans in Michigan?   

False. 

https://www.mlb.com/redsox/fans/winter-weekend

22 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

yeah, I don't give a crap about Tigerfest.  It's probably a fun thing if you have kids, but I doubt I would go to it myself even if I was local.

It's funny though.  The Red Sox have never done anything like that.  No caravans either.  Do they still do caravans in Michigan?   

Yes they still do caravans. Or they did last year.

We used to do Tigerfest every year because it was fun to hang out with my baseball friends.  Always had a nice lunch after.  Didn't care for autographs.  We liked watching DD talk on stage.  Now he's not there so it's not the same.  We went a few years ago and they moved the QA to one of the bars and it wasn't comfortable.  You couldn't hear them very well.  Only a few rows of chairs by the stage so you had to sit at a table or the bar.   I've been in the clubhouse already so that thrill is gone.  For the price it's not worth it.  Before it seems like it was a lot cheaper, like $10.  

I preferred it at Cobo and Joe Louis.

4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I am out of touch...I didn't know they started doing that.  This is another event I won't be attending, although listening to Dombrowski and JD would be more interesting than almost anybody on the Tigers.

42 minutes ago, Shelton said:

This really is a slow offseason if we are debating who is and isn’t scheduled to appear at this year's “Tigerfest.” 

I think Nick is not there because he is pissed that they aren’t engaging with him on a contract extension and he is boycotting. He knows he isn’t going to get paid in free agency. 

I think nick will be there if hes on the team, they were just trying to avoid the awkwardness of saying he'd be there then trading him two days later

14 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I think nick will be there if hes on the team, they were just trying to avoid the awkwardness of saying he'd be there then trading him two days later

I think this is the correct answer.

20 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

That would make sense if there was any chance he would be traded in the next couple weeks. But that chance is zero. And they frequently have guys scheduled to be there that back out. 

This is the worst off-season ever. Usually, it’s the equivalent of them telling us we’re pretty, that they care about us, using us, and leaving some money on the dresser. This off-season they’re using us, but they’re not telling us we’re pretty and they’re not leaving any money on the dresser. There’s no win-win going on here.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DJ  LeMahieu signs a 2 year ($24 million) deal with the Yankees. They appear to be out on Machado. Consensus is that he's down to Philly and the W Sox.

Blaine Hardy agrees to a contract avoiding arb.

I would like to announce my proposal for the XLB as an offseason competitor to MLB. The XLB will run from November through the end of March. 

The rules are simple. They are exactly the same as MLB. Except in the ways they are different. 

No longer is the pitcher on the team opposing the batter. Rather, the batting team supplies their own pitcher. This pitcher may also play the field when the ball is in play, and may intercept any throws made. The pitcher may not field the batted ball. Upon intercepting any throw, the batter is limited from advancing.

You get three pitches to put the ball in play, or you are out. 

This game will take the country by storm. Soon enough, its popularity will eclipse MLB and it can be played in the spring and summer and expand to northern cities. 

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I would like to announce my proposal for the XLB as an offseason competitor to MLB. The XLB will run from November through the end of March. 

The rules are simple. They are exactly the same as MLB. Except in the ways they are different. 

No longer is the pitcher on the team opposing the batter. Rather, the batting team supplies their own pitcher. This pitcher may also play the field when the ball is in play, and may intercept any throws made. The pitcher may not field the batted ball. Upon intercepting any throw, the batter is limited from advancing.

This game will take the country by storm. Soon enough, its popularity will eclipse MLB and it can be played in the spring and summer and expand to northern cities. 

could work, *if* all MLB parks were 400ft at the lines and went out from there. But you'd never get Henning on board for that.

17 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I would recommend trying that in Australia. Or maybe China. Or the U.K.?

3 hours ago, Oblong said:

You know how when the president gives the state of the union address and one cabinet member goes to an undisclosed location in case of an attack?  That's Nick.

If Comerica Park gets blowed up at Tiger fest our hopes rest with Nick.

Nick is the team's  "designated rivivor".

I wonder if Norris will upgrade to a motorhome now or isn't that hipster enough for him?

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I wonder if Norris will upgrade to a motorhome now or isn't that hipster enough for him?

Make or break season for Norris. A young van dweller who is a hot pitching prospect is an interesting tale. A not-so-young van dweller is just one more injury-plagued season away from being a better prospect to appear on 90 Day Fiancee than in MLB.

7 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Make or break season for Norris...

Man, I wish him luck.

Health, plus whatever it takes to make it in MLB...

Even if that means a push into the BP hoping he can replicate the Andrew Miller path...

I'd like to see him with some success... And that's not 100% as a self-interested Tigers' fan...

Whenever I hear a member of the Tigers front office now I feel like I'm watching someone someone on a morning TV show discuss serious news.  Mainly their job is to talk about fluffy stuff like movies, entertainment, recipes, the royal family, etc. but they get thrust into a tragedy and you can see they are out of their element.

It's all high level boilerplate CEO speak.  Nothing of substance.   DD and Avila could end up giving you the same information but when DD says it you can tell he's intentionally holding stuff back and being coy about it.  He's kind of smirking when he says it.  When Al says it you get the impression he's really telling you all he knows and it's not much.

lots of people think Chris is only concerned with the bottom line

if they are correct, dumping McCann and Wilson and coming in below the normally solid predictions MLBTradeRumors predictions below will make Chris happy

Tigers (6)

• Nicholas Castellanos (5.029) – $11.3MM agreed on $9.95
  • Shane Greene (4.075) – $4.8MM agreed on $4.0
  • Michael Fulmer (2.157) – $3.0MM NO AGREEMENT
  • Matthew Boyd (2.136) – $3.0MM agreed on $2.6 
  • Daniel Norris (3.073)  -$1.4MM agreed on $1.275
  • Blaine Hardy (3.108) – $1.2MM agreed on $1.3

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Adrian Gonzalez? JHC

he's in the best shape of his life.

• Like 1