Tenacious D

2018-19 Off-season Thread

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

It's about the money.  He's getting a big AAV contract, albeit for only one annum.  But after this year, he will need only a three-year deal for 31.75 million -- less than 10.6 million per year -- to do just as well as he would have if he accepted the Mets' offer.  That's not a high bar to clear.  So he's betting on himself and getting very good odds, and playing for a contending team.  Quite likely a great move for both him and the Brewers.

Agree.  Smart move and if he really believes in himself he can choose to only play for contenders on 1 year deals from now on if he wants.

40 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Bull ****

They aren't throwing seasons away just to make a profit, fallacy one. And fans won't come back? Fallacy two. The tigers and pirates each went 20 years without winnings, the second they did? Jam packed stadiums. 

Exactly right.

I give the Tigers this year to finish cleaning house while checking kids.   I really wish they would sign no stopgap type players.  By 2020 I'd like to see them back to .500 or better.  We'll see, as always it probably depends more on how much of their stockpile of young pitching pans out.

Making profits are absolutely a motive for rebuilds. With the national and local tv money, they are doing pretty well before a ticket is being sold. The tigers aren't alone in this. There at least 10 teams actively trying not to win and driving down player salaries. It sucks.

Shane Greene and Tigers agree on reasonable $4m salary. MLBTraderumors had him at $4.8

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Shane Greene and Tigers agree on reasonable $4m salary. MLBTraderumors had him at $4.8

Profits

9 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

I get the Tigers need a bullpen arm. I guess there is hope he performs this season and they can trade him at the deadline. I'd rather just use younger guys, but he was cheap enough. It he falters they can always just eat the 4 million, and bring up someone else if they perform in the minors. 

10 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Exactly right.

I give the Tigers this year to finish cleaning house while checking kids.   I really wish they would sign no stopgap type players.  By 2020 I'd like to see them back to .500 or better.  We'll see, as always it probably depends more on how much of their stockpile of young pitching pans out.

I am in absolute agreement

15 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I get the Tigers need a bullpen arm. I guess there is hope he performs this season and they can trade him at the deadline. I'd rather just use younger guys, but he was cheap enough. It he falters they can always just eat the 4 million, and bring up someone else if they perform in the minors. 

The advanced numbers for Greene usually look better than the standard numbers 

I would not be surprised if another team is able to better utilize his repertoire 

1 hour ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

He would be the type of pitcher we should sign in free agency, on a reasonable contract, in hope he has a bounce back season, as the talent is certainly there.  And flip at the deadline for prospects.

Shouldn’t really be a surprise.

Spider Monkey is there. That’s all that matters. 

47 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Does anyone agree with this sentiment?

CF05706F-FD58-4744-8D0F-03C1EBDF0D00.jpeg

I bet other teams have their analytics department at their festival.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Does anyone agree with this sentiment?

CF05706F-FD58-4744-8D0F-03C1EBDF0D00.jpeg

I get why, but a little surprised mize isnt on the list

That is kinda weird that Castellanos isn't there.  Is he the only starter that isn't there including SP?   I can't think of anybody else.  

12 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I get why, but a little surprised mize isnt on the list

No Manning, Paredes or Cameron either.  Everybody knows they are going to be horrible this year.  They aren't going to fool anyone. It might be a good idea to invite part of the future.

You know how when the president gives the state of the union address and one cabinet member goes to an undisclosed location in case of an attack?  That's Nick.

If Comerica Park gets blowed up at Tiger fest our hopes rest with Nick.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

That is kinda weird that Castellanos isn't there.  Is he the only starter that isn't there including SP?   I can't think of anybody else.  

Maybe it's because Castellanos isn't officially under contract for the 2019 season yet? 

Is that just a list of who is currently on the 40-man roster?  Because that's all it appears to be.  

32 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

No Manning, Paredes or Cameron either.  Everybody knows they are going to be horrible this year.  They aren't going to fool anyone. It might be a good idea to invite part of the future.

On the other hand you dont want to expose the guys to expectations too early or get the fans clamoring for guys that arent ready when we stink.

As I said I get the reasoning why. But, mize is a bit of a different case as #1 overall pick.

This really is a slow offseason if we are debating who is and isn’t scheduled to appear at this year's “Tigerfest.” 

I think Nick is not there because he is pissed that they aren’t engaging with him on a contract extension and he is boycotting. He knows he isn’t going to get paid in free agency. 

yeah, I don't give a crap about Tigerfest.  It's probably a fun thing if you have kids, but I doubt I would go to it myself even if I was local.

It's funny though.  The Red Sox have never done anything like that.  No caravans either.  Do they still do caravans in Michigan?