Tenacious D

2018-19 Off-season Thread

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

The tigstown top 10 (and 30) was surprisingly optimistic this year. 

Thanks @Microline133 for finally throwing us a bone. 

yeah, I noticed that too.  It was pretty positive and Micro is not one to blow smoke.  

5 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Am I the only one who thought of our Kyle when they heard it?

Regarding TV's Funkhouser, make sure you check him out on Comedians Getting Coffee - two episodes IIRC.

I only know him as the Funk. Terrible news. I wonder if they'll do a tribute in the next season? 

15 hours ago, Buddha said:

hey, if the young players start to show mlb promise by 2020 or 2021, that would be awesome too.  i just think 2022 is a more realistic timeline considering where they were after years of poor drafting.

i doubt both fulmer and boyd will be around after this year.  if they are, its probably because both regressed and nobody wanted them.  i expect at least one to be traded.

I agree with this statement. 2022 is when we could expect a playoff contending team. One should also take into account the prospects that we have that will prove to be suspects. Maybe Stewart makes it, maybe he doesn't, for example.

3 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I have only one issue with this...

It's a great, big, huge... IF...

But multiple young starters are on sked to be up and running by 2021... I believe.

A bunch of young gun kids on the mound can change the calculus swiftly... If not faster than that.

Multiple young starters does not a contender make.

I'm still betting on them getting one, maybe two good starters out of this batch (Manning and Mize), one reliever if he stays healthy (Perez), one bust (Faedo), and one middle reliever/swing man (Burrows).

But hopefully I'm wrong.  Since I'm wrong a lot, there's a good chance we have a staff of five future cy young winners.

8 hours ago, Yoda said:

I only know him as the Funk. Terrible news. I wonder if they'll do a tribute in the next season? 

I remember watching Super Dave as a kid on Letterman's show and his own Showtime gig but it wasn't until a few years ago I found out they were the same guy.  

11 hours ago, Shelton said:

The tigstown top 10 (and 30) was surprisingly optimistic this year. 

Thanks @Microline133 for finally throwing us a bone. 

I must have been drunk when I wrote that up since you all know I'm not that optimistic!

Seriously though, there's certainly more reason for optimism this year than in year's past when it comes to the status of the farm system. That said, there is still a general lack of depth. The list falls off into really young kids that are a long way off, likely relievers, and fringe players pretty rapidly once you get beyond the 6-7 range. There's no doubt that's a substantial step forward from talking about 1-2 viable prospects at the top in past years, but there is still a long way to go.

• Like 1

Watching MLB network earlier and they had a debate on whether it was smart for the Phillies to sign Harper and I think O Dowd said it would be stupid because they wouldn't contend next year even if they had him.

Whether you think that or not is one thing(I think they certainly are contenders next year with or without him) but I hate the line of thinking that seems to be prevalent in baseball that you can't sign guys until you are absolutely ready to compete.  I think that is stupid.

Now if the guy is 34 then no you probably shouldn't but if he is 26 or 27 why not sign him even if you don't expect to compete that next year?  You should expect the guy to still be in his prime for atleast another 4 years so even if you don't compete the very next season you still are gonna have him at his best for several more.   

Aren’t the Phils better served getting Machado this year and waiting for Trout?  $70M seems like a lot to invest in two spots for your OF.

23 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Aren’t the Phils better served getting Machado this year and waiting for Trout?  $70M seems like a lot to invest in two spots for your OF.

Wanting Trout and getting Trout are probably going to be two very different things.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Wanting Trout and getting Trout are probably going to be two very different things.

I've found this to be the case the majority of times when I go fishing.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I agree, I'm just arguing the notion that it's a bad idea to sign one of the best offensive players in the league before his prime years cause youre not gonna win the World Series the next year.

As a GM I would not go near MS-13 or Harper. Trout would be a high unlikely for me as well because of the money. Avoid the “too good to be true” options.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Why does it matter if you have $70 in the OF or $35 in the OF and $35 in the IF?

You apply the money to the spots that net you the most benefit, no?

44 minutes ago, 1776 said:

As a GM I would not go near MS-13 or Harper. Trout would be a high unlikely for me as well because of the money. Avoid the “too good to be true” options.

Trout is true.  

51 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Trout is true.  

You probably remember I did wonder at one time if the hype around him was going to end up a fish story, but he is a whale of a player.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

cause there is a salary cap?

26 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

cause there is a salary cap?

I wish there were a hard salary cap in MLB.

The money you would spend on these guys would go further in acquiring younger players and building for the future. I like Trout as a player but would NEVER roll big money for him at this point. You would never get your money out of him going forward based on what he would command salery wise. 

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It’s not foregone, but a very good chance—he’s a Philly boy and still lives there, I believe , with his high school sweetheart.

9 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

It’s not foregone, but a very good chance—he’s a Philly boy and still lives there, I believe , with his high school sweetheart.

New Jersey to be more specific, but that would be close enough fan wise I think.

salary caps suck.  the luxury tax in baseball acts as a cap and it sucks too.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

New Jersey to be more specific, but that would be close enough fan wise I think.

Didn’t realize that—I thought I saw a profile on him that he was a huge Philadelphia sports team fan.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

You probably remember I did wonder at one time if the hype around him was going to end up a fish story, but he is a whale of a player.

Terrible

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Didn’t realize that—I thought I saw a profile on him that he was a huge Philadelphia sports team fan.

I think both are true. It's NJ just across the river from Philly as will as from NYC.

9 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Since it isnt my money, I say acquire all three 

If they don't it's proof positive that they've become a penny pinching club since Mr I's death.