Tenacious D

2018-19 Off-season Thread

So how is this: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/09/30/detroit-tigers-giving-more-more-than-lip-service-building-systemic-player-development-plan/1480418002/

Any different than this?: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2015/12/08/tigers-way-internal-handbook-avila-says/77015466/

And if the first time didn't work well enough that you have to "clean up" the minor leagues (again), why should I believe that this time it is going to work?  

This is just a theory, but Al Avila doesn't have a plan, never had a plan, and is just talking out of his ***.  

Unfortunately, with a few other rebuilding teams in the division, the Tigers are going to have to put their rebuild operation up against those of the better-positioned Twins and White Sox.

That should worry you.

With creative transactions and spending, like we saw following the 2009-2010 debacles, maybe the future looks a little brighter for the Tigers than it does today.

That’s asking for a lot. You always knew Dave Dombrowski — now in charge of the 108-win Red Sox — would be able to pull something fun out of his hat. Tigers GM Al Avila has shown no such vision in his time guiding Detroit’s front office, and we have no reason to believe the Ilitch family will spend like its late patriarch, Mike Ilitch, to bring in exciting but high-priced talent.

Mensching

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

Concern troll

counterbalance to the hacks.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Pulling something fun out of a hat sounds like a dirty act.

It's a drinking game.  

I mostly agree with Mensching, although I would say the same about most re-builds.  It is a difficult process with little certainty.  

13 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I mostly agree with Mensching, although I would say the same about most re-builds.  It is a difficult process with little certainty.  

And many times the first guy who tries it gets fired. And his replacement ends up looking like a genius.

Of course, Manning and Mize could become front of the rotation starters, Fulmer could return to form and Burrows and Perez could become solid middle of the rotation SP or maybe even a tick better than that.  Paredes, Rogers, Cameron, Clemens and Casto could all be solid  MLB contributors or better...maybe even two of them (Paredes and Cameron) become all star quality .  Candelario could build on his rookie season, Miggy could return to form or close to it as a DH  and Nick could settle in nicely at 1B.

All of these things could occur...and Mensching would look like an ***

15 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

Of course, Manning and Mize could become front of the rotation starters, Fulmer could return to form and Burrows and Perez could become solid middle of the rotation SP or maybe even a tick better than that.  Paredes, Rogers, Cameron, Clemens and Casto could all be solid  MLB contributors or better...maybe even two of them (Paredes and Cameron) become all star quality .  Candelario could build on his rookie season, Miggy could return to form or close to it as a DH  and Nick could settle in nicely at 1B.

All of these things could occur...and Mensching would look like an ***

You're not being optimistic enough if you don't mention DeatheRage and Robson, 2/3s of an All All Star OF with Cameron.

Deathrage..Daz...Meadows.  That will be your outfield by 2021.  Robson and Stewart will be subs...All Star quality subs.

5 hours ago, Walewander said:

Not for me.

I'm baseball fan but outside of the Tigers, I'm more of a stat-accumulation fan. 

I rarely watch the playoffs if the Tigers aren't involved - it feels like cheating, in a way. 

I know that's ridiculous.

I am even worse.  I’m not even a baseball fan. I am only a Tigers fan.  If my team isn’t playing, then baseball for its own sake does not exist.  Baseball only exists to mediate my relationship to the Tigers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I assume that we'll suck for 2019, 2020 and 2021.  After that it's anybody's guess, but I'm not optimistic as long as Chris I and AA remain in charge.  Pretty bleak.

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Pulling something fun out of a hat sounds like a dirty act.

Rabbits aren't good clean fun?

s-l300.jpg

On 9/30/2018 at 3:31 AM, socaltiger said:

Reading between the lines of Al's comments in the News article today he wants Nick C. to play first and will not extend him but wait until free agency and extend him a  qualifying offer. Seems like the best way to get a reasonable extension rather than now when his agent will want to be paid for the bat without discounting for the glove.

What would a contract for Nick look like in terms of length and dollars on the open market ?

Music to my ears.  Thank goodness Victor is finally gone so we can play him at the position where he belongs. 

On 9/30/2018 at 1:47 PM, Tenacious D said:

I think McCann is gone, but don’t think the Tigers see Grenier as the future.  I’d keep him as insurance at AAA and get someone to share time with Hicks.  This team and young pitching staff would benefit from a veteran. Avila, Part III?

I would go hard after JT Realmuto in a trade.  Two years left on his contract, Marlins will probably trade him. Very underrated player.  I know we are probably still in rebuilding mode so you can make an argument it doesn't make sense yet but I am hoping the guys making decisions are not of the mindset that we won't be contending in the near future.  

23 hours ago, tiger337 said:

So, Avila says the Tigers will be targeting free agent middle infielders.  I wonder what that means.  Somebody that can solidify the infield for the next couple of years or a bargain basement guy?  

Go sign DJ Lemahieu.  I am sure a lot of people are going to be afraid of him away from Coors and this year does show some big splits but the prior three years he still hit for a good average away from Coors.  Obviously, you will lose some power but you are not signing him for power anyways.  He is top notch defensively and should be able to hit .280-.300 and give us some stability in the middle infield.  Plus, he grew up in Michigan and I believe has Red Wings seasons tickets so there is a connection there for us to maybe take advantage of.  

24 minutes ago, Hart said:

Music to my ears.  Thank goodness Victor is finally gone so we can play him at the position where he belongs. 

Victor Martinez will have a higher WAR in 2019 than he did in 2018.  

As far as shortstops, would Iglesias even except a one year deal or is he going to want a long term contract?  I think the Tigers are of the mindset that Castro or Alcantara will be ready in 2020 so they will not be looking to give him a long term deal.  I think Andrus would be a great pick-up coming off a bad season and I think next year at this time, his current contract will look like a bargain.  I doubt he opts out though.  

I would love to sign some free agents this winter in that 60-80 million range and start to bump up our payroll again but I doubt I'll get my wish. It's still fun to speculate.  Either way, if we spend money, it has to be on hitters.  Our lineup is just awful and we need to find some reasonably priced guys who can play everyday so the whole lineup is not hitting .220 outside of Castellanos and Cabrera.  

Paredes will end up at 2nd or 3rd.  I am hope we don't write him off at third because of Candelario.  Candelario needs to show a lot more and make a decent jump with his bat next year.  

2 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Victor Martinez will have a higher WAR in 2019 than he did in 2018.  

Too bad his final two years went they way they did.  I know many predicted this with age but I always thought in a DH role with a great swing and approach, he might be able to hold up a little bit better than he did.  

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

I am even worse.  I’m not even a baseball fan. I am only a Tigers fan.  If my team isn’t playing, then baseball for its own sake does not exist.  Baseball only exists to mediate my relationship to the Tigers. 

Precisely. 

Although I love the game.  I view all youth sports my kids play through the lens of "how does this help the Tigers?"

I've settled on:  If I instill a love of baseball/softball with my kids, they will follow my love of the Tigers. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Precisely. 

Although I love the game.  I view all youth sports my kids play through the lens of "how does this help the Tigers?"

I've settled on:  If I instill a love of baseball/softball with my kids, they will follow my love of the Tigers. 

I’m not going to be sure what to think when I see ROMAD2 and ROMAD3 in here.

4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I’m not going to be sure what to think when I see ROMAD2 and ROMAD3 in here.

ROMAD2 is 1000% more logical than this emotional chunk of coal. 

ROMAD3 is the next Gilda Radner. 

6 hours ago, kdog said:

Blah. I get it, I really do, but I think everyone who has really followed things understands all of that. 

I choose to believe that with another draft like the last one, a couple of veteran signings we can try to flip at the deadline, and our best young cost controlled prospects forming a foundation, we're one or two years and a couple of big free agent signings away from being right back in it. Things can change quickly. 

Or, he's completely right.