Tenacious D

2018-19 Off-season Thread

Jose may want a multi-year offer but I doubt he receives one and I doubt he thinks it is likely that he will receive one.

Iglesias will probably get similar offers from more competitive teams like the Phillies etc. Does he want to sit through another 90+ loss season?

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Jose may want a multi-year offer but I doubt he receives one and I doubt he thinks it is likely that he will receive one.

I think he has a decent chance at a longer term deal - at least enough of one that he and the Tigers won't be talking until he tests the waters and I think both sides seem OK with that - at least I to the point that we haven't heard any complaints from either side that one side is trying to talk and the other side isn't listening.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Which teams need Iglesias?

kdog noted the Phillies could use him to improve their horrible defense - but JP Crawford may be able to do that as well, with more offense

Baltimore and KC and Det need a SS

14 hours ago, tiger337 said:

So, Avila says the Tigers will be targeting free agent middle infielders.  I wonder what that means.  Somebody that can solidify the infield for the next couple of years or a bargain basement guy?  

I’m basing this on what Avila said during the broadcast (I only caught a bit of it).

i think he mentioned wanting to find a stopgap for ss and/or 2b. I don’t think he was implying that we would be looking for a long term solution or even a multi year solution. 

I don’t think we should infer that Iglesias wouldn’t be attractive to them because of that. I just think that Avila doesn’t want to come out and say that they would want him as a stopgap, because that implies that they don’t think Jose is going to get any good offers. Even if they think that, you don’t say that about one of your current players.

But it does make clear to Jose and his agent where they stand on what they are looking for. It may not take long for them to realize that a good multi year deal isn’t out there, and maybe they come back to the tigers sooner rather than later with a one year proposal. 

I did find it refreshing that Avila publicly commented on where they stand with McCann, and brought up the possibility that they may move on.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Which teams need Iglesias?

could be the Cubs.....

That is Jose's problem for sure, but who know who might move a guy and need to pick one up. If you are Jose I don't see any point in being in a hurry to give the Tigers a homer deal. And since he probably wants to play and the Tigers may have guys they want to look at that would take away from his PT, the Tigers may not be high on his list even at the same money offer.

I am not suggesting he would give the Tigers a homer deal.

I merely am pointing out that even if he desires a multi-year deal, he isn't likely to receive one and he knows it.

Just now, IdahoBert said:

My oldest daughter thinks Iglesias is attractive. 

He’s a handsome man. 

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

He’s a handsome man. 

You and Bert can go flirt elsewhere.

Scoscia is out as Angels manager.... is Brad in line to take over?

5 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Scoscia is out as Angels manager.... is Brad in line to take over?

2 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

Rumor is that former A's 3B Eric Chavez is first in the queue

I imagine Brad is hoping, but the fact that they didn't put him on the field with Scoscia when they hired him could mean they weren't thinking of grooming him as a manager. That is assuming Scoscia had told the Angels going into the season he was probably done this yr. Maybe he hadn't...

12 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I guess I don't understand why the Tigers are seemingly not interested in a year of Iglesias, as I think he is as good a bridge as they can hope to get and isn't going to be expensive.

I think Avila has soured on him.

Maybe it's because Iglesias has a five-cent head who lollygags on routine plays because he knows he won't end up on a highlight reel, and the organization doesn't want veterans infecting the kids with that kind of work ethic.

Now, because I just said that, watch the Tigers go out and sign him for another year.

50 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

could be the Cubs.....

Yeah, that Baez kid is all flash, no substance. The Cubs need the steadying influence of a proven veteran like Jose Iglesias. :ponder: :wink: :laugh: 

Lots of rumors/speculation that Phillies will be going after Manny Machado.

30 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, that Baez kid is all flash, no substance. The Cubs need the steadying influence of a proven veteran like Jose Iglesias. :ponder: :wink: :laugh: 

that was more a joke about Russell getting in trouble. I don't follow the Cubs in particular - do they want to move Baez to SS full time?

39 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe it's because Iglesias has a five-cent head who lollygags on routine plays because he knows he won't end up on a highlight reel, and the organization doesn't want veterans infecting the kids with that kind of work ethic.

Now, because I just said that, watch the Tigers go out and sign him for another year.

Well, he is a plus defender so not sure how much his lollygagging in the infield is hurting the team.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Casimir said:

Is there a game today?

Not for me.

I'm baseball fan but outside of the Tigers, I'm more of a stat-accumulation fan. 

I rarely watch the playoffs if the Tigers aren't involved - it feels like cheating, in a way. 

I know that's ridiculous.

1 hour ago, irvink said:

Lots of rumors/speculation that Phillies will be going after Manny Machado.

They should just go ahead and grab Manny and Bryce and be done with it. Lots of money, but lots of bombs. 

• Thanks 1