Tenacious D

2018-19 Off-season Thread

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm skeptical how much coaches can help guys when it comes to fundamentals this stage in their career.   I remember we got a new coach my Jr. year of High School, he used to get on me because he thought I was slow getting the ball out of my glove when I threw.  I told him I was always taught to make sure I have a 4 seam grip before throwing so I make sure I have that before throwing.  He told me that was unnecessary and just throw it right away.  Long story short I never could do that, I still reverted back to making sure I had a 4 seam grip.   So as a high schooler I couldn't change a habit that I had I don't think a professional baseball player can.

right - which is why if they want the system to change it they have to push the effort right down to their short season league teams. 

There will be arguments between players and coaches regarding what technique is best for them, and that is fair, but so much of it comes to concentration, anticipation and discipline -- knowing the game situation, not trying to play hero (a big reason for missing cut-off men), etc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm skeptical how much coaches can help guys when it comes to fundamentals this stage in their career.   I remember we got a new coach my Jr. year of High School, he used to get on me because he thought I was slow getting the ball out of my glove when I threw.  I told him I was always taught to make sure I have a 4 seam grip before throwing so I make sure I have that before throwing.  He told me that was unnecessary and just throw it right away.  Long story short I never could do that, I still reverted back to making sure I had a 4 seam grip.   So as a high schooler I couldn't change a habit that I had I don't think a professional baseball player can.

No wonder you never made the show.

• Haha 1

Lolololol. Pros change stuff all the time. That’s why they’re pros. In sports, music, business, etc.  you either put in the work to make the change or you don’t.

but please, more stories about how high school athletes can or can’t do something being the end all be all of what we can expect from professional baseball players.

JHC this MTS offseason off to a ROARING start...

2 minutes ago, thefunk said:

Lolololol. Pros change stuff all the time. That’s why they’re pros. In sports, music, business, etc.  you either put in the work to make the change or you don’t.

but please, more stories about how high school athletes can or can’t do something being the end all be all of what we can expect from professional baseball players.

JHC this MTS offseason off to a ROARING start...

Pro's change stuff but I find it very hard to believe that they change anything when it comes to fundamentals.  A new coach isn't going to be able to change somebody's baserunning ability or how they track fly balls.   When players make "mental mistakes" out there it's not because of the manager or coach, they've been playing this freaking game their entire life, these guys know what you're supposed to do, if they don't do it its just a mistake on their part.  

• Like 1

So, Avila says the Tigers will be targeting free agent middle infielders.  I wonder what that means.  Somebody that can solidify the infield for the next couple of years or a bargain basement guy?  

12 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

So, Avila says the Tigers will be targeting free agent middle infielders.  I wonder what that means.  Somebody that can solidify the infield for the next couple of years or a bargain basement guy?  

Second basemen
Jed Lowrie (35 years old, 4.8 WAR)
Ian Kinsler (37, 2.3)
Asdrubal Cabrera (33, 2.3)
Daniel Descalso (32, 1.9)
DJ LeMahieu (30, 1.3)
Brian Dozier (32, 1.2)
Daniel Murphy (34, 0.3)
Logan Forsythe (32, 0.2)
Sean Rodriguez (34, 0.0)
Andrew Romine (33, 0.0)
Neil Walker (33, -0.2)

Shortstops
Manny Machado (26 years old, 5.7 WAR)
Jose Iglesias (29, 2.5)
Elvis Andrus (30, 1.2) -- 
Can opt out of the four years and $58 million remaining on his contract.
Jordy Mercer (32, 1.1)
Freddy Galvis (29, 0.6)
Adeiny Hechavarria (30, 0.4)
Alcides Escobar (32, -0.5)
Eric Sogard (33, -0.8)

some free agents from mlb.com

On the “systemic” issue:

I guess it depends upon how you define “systemic.” 1) Fundamentals is one way (playing the game the right way).  2) Helping a player to leverage their talent to the maximum extent is another (what we have been led to believe or would like to believe happened with JV). I would like to see a “systemic“ approach that embraces both of these options.  I don’t think it’s possible to do one of these well without having the other in mind at the same time. 

Affordable contributors: Matt Adams, Adrian Beltre, Asdrubal Cabrera, Daniel Descalso, David Freese*, Freddy Galvis, Marwin Gonzalez, Josh Harrison*, Jose Iglesias, Ian Kinsler, Jed Lowrie, Joe Mauer, Jordy Mercer, Mike Moustakas*, Daniel Murphy, Eduardo Nuñez, Steve Pearce, Mark Reynolds, Jutin Smoak*

There could be some really good value players in this category. Gonzalez has probably ruined any chance he had of getting a huge long-term deal by failing to replicate his 147 OPS+ 2017 season, but he’s still an above-average hitter who plays good defense at multiple positions. ... Murphy probably deserves to make more than he’ll get on the market, but concerns about his age (he’ll be 34 next year), his surgically-repaired knee, his defense, the lingering effects of his homophobic comments from 2015, and his relatively quiet walk year will probably drive his value down. ... If he decides to play next year, Beltre won’t have a lot of negotiating leverage since it’s already been put out there that the Rangers are his team of choice, but he obviously remains a very good player heading into his age-40 season. ... If his $6 million club option is declined by the Dodgers, Freese — who has posted a 117 OPS+ as a 35-year-old — will be one of the best bench bats available on the market. ... After posting his best OPS+ since 2009, it would be a sad reflection on the state of free agency if Reynolds had to take a minor-league deal for a third straight season.

Rehabilitation projects/minor-league depth: Lucas Duda, Alcides Escobar, Logan Forsythe, Adeiny Hechavarria, Jung-ho Kang*, Logan Morrison*, Hanley Ramirez, Sean Rodriguez, Andrew Romine, Luis Valbuena, Danny Valencia, Neil Walker

There are a couple glove-first shortstops here, Escobar and Hechavarria, who have been put in the unfortunate position of their defensive skills dropping off a bit at the same time as shortstop defense has become less important with teams shifting more than ever. Both will likely have to battle their way onto rosters as utility players next season. ... Duda and Morrison (if his option is declined) will have to battle their way back to relevance after disappointing 2018 campaigns, as will former Forsythe and Walker, though the second basemen at least have chances to recover some value as they receive frequent playing time down the stretch, as opposed to Duda (restricted to a backup/pinch-hitter role for the Braves) and Morrison (out for the season with a hip impingement). ... It’ll be interesting to see if guys like Ramirez, Valbuena, and Valencia can (or even want to) make the always-tough recovery from being released at midseason.

https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2018/9/7/17780982/previewing-2018-2019-mlb-free-agent-class

8 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Victor and Liriano and Saltalamacchia.

Can somebody refresh my memory on draft pick compensation?

• Like 1

Looking at the SS list, and you’d probably target Iglesias.  He does everything that Avila wants—very good D, and can hit a little.

He must have really burned a bridge.

26 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Looking at the SS list, and you’d probably target Iglesias.  He does everything that Avila wants—very good D, and can hit a little.

He must have really burned a bridge.

he looks like the best choice but if they move on, so be it. Cannot stay healthy, and has not advanced with the bat

7 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

he looks like the best choice but if they move on, so be it. Cannot stay healthy, and has not advanced with the bat

I don't think there is any bad blood. I think they just don't want to sign a starter to starters money. They want to sign a guy who will only play if none of the potential SS in the system now that they want to look at (Castro, Alcantera, Rodriguez, Goodrum, Paredes {later in the season maybe} etc) play well enough to keep that vet on the bench. You only pay Iglesias if he is going to play everyday and I  think they want the SS (3b and 2b as well for that matter) spot mostly open for trial next year. 

They might decide to resign Iggy for 1 year ..but at no more than same pay as this year.

28 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

They might decide to resign Iggy for 1 year ..but at no more than same pay as this year.

I noted what I think the Tigers are doing, but that said I'm not sure there is a good outcome likely. I don't think any of the guys in line to get innings at 2b and SS next season have much probability of being even the 2 WAR player Iggy is - with the exception of Paredes, who Is probably more a 2020 arrival, if he can even stay at short. So in sum, I question whether the SS of the future is even in the system unless it's somewhere below AA (e.g. King)

i doubt paredes can stick at short.  he looks more like a 2b.

they can sign a vet ss and hope he has a fluke first half that interests some contender.  that way we can trade him for a bullpen pitcher with great stuff and control issues.  you can never have enough bullpen guys with great stuff and control issues.

bonus points if he's left handed!

I guess I don't understand why the Tigers are seemingly not interested in a year of Iglesias, as I think he is as good a bridge as they can hope to get and isn't going to be expensive.

I think Avila has soured on him.

arent there clubhouse issues with iglesias?  it seems once a year someone yells at him for something.

16 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Still think we should pursue Manny Machado <ducks>

I agree.

They might prefer a guy who understands that he might be a one-year stop gap, or less if either Castro or Alcantara pushes him.  I don’t see Iglesias warming to that role.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I guess I don't understand why the Tigers are seemingly not interested in a year of Iglesias, as I think he is as good a bridge as they can hope to get and isn't going to be expensive.

I think Avila has soured on him.

I think it would be Jose who would be less interested in a 1 year deal, than the Tigers.

When players reach FA they want years and dollars. Don't know who is going to give that to him.

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

I think it would be Jose who would be less interested in a 1 year deal, than the Tigers.

When players reach FA they want years and dollars. Don't know who is going to give that to him.

Yeah - I think if Jose doesn't find any offers, then and only then will there be any conversation with the Tigers.