Tenacious D

2018-19 Off-season Thread

24 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

So Al made the right call financially not signing Alex and Iggy, but he spent too much too early on his FA signings.

He has done that a couple years now. It's clear they target guys and are willing to pay a bit more just to get it done and not worry about it than wait around and see what's left. It's clear they think Moore can have a bit of a bounce back and they can flip him for something useful at the deadline. At that time I don't think whether a team trading for him as to pay 400K or 800K matters.

20 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

It's clear they think Moore can have a bit of a bounce back and they can flip him for something useful at the deadline. At that time I don't think whether a team trading for him as to pay 400K or 800K matters.

IDK that they even need to have much confidence that a guy like Moore is going to net them anything at the deadline. In the situation the Tigers are in, where they have no players of their own to fill the roster, all you really need is just a slight chance the guy will bounce back as motivation to sign him anyway. What else are you going to do with your roster spots? Or put it another way - sure are looking for guys where there is a possibility of a bounce back, but they are going to sign fillers even if they don't find (or are not able to sign)  particularly promising bounce back candidates.

Beyond this year, the Tigers have no excuses not to be in the race for the division championship.  If it ain’t happening, Al needs a new address. 

Stuff happening this week if you are caught in a time warp and/or an all offseason binger with Bert and have forgotten about it:

Pitchers and catchers report date
Tuesday, Feb. 12 (though many pitchers and catchers are already working out on their own at the Tigertown complex)

First pitchers and catchers workout
Wednesday, Feb. 13

Full-squad report date
Sunday, Feb. 17

First full-squad workout
Monday, Feb. 18

Casimir, I gotta’ ask...

Is there a game today?

50 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Beyond this year, the Tigers have no excuses not to be in the race for the division championship.  If it ain’t happening, Al needs a new address. 

I can think of 4 reasons that won't happen:

• Kluber
  • Carasco
  • Mauer
  • Clevinger

You are right though, in 7 months it will be time to determine if the Tigers are perhaps the worst organization in baseball. Right now we may be ahead of Baltimore and Miami. Is there anyone else as bad?

49 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Stuff happening this week if you are caught in a time warp and/or an all offseason binger with Bert and have forgotten about it:

Pitchers and catchers report date
Tuesday, Feb. 12 (though many pitchers and catchers are already working out on their own at the Tigertown complex)

First pitchers and catchers workout
Wednesday, Feb. 13

Full-squad report date
Sunday, Feb. 17

First full-squad workout
Monday, Feb. 18

I’ll never understand why the “report date” is a thing. 

20 minutes ago, Shelton said:

We love you anyway.

22 minutes ago, Shelton said:

It is where the clock starts 😁

2 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

We love you anyway.

More than he’ll ever know.

27 minutes ago, Shelton said:

You're a really smart guy.  Some day you'll understand.

23 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

You're a really smart guy.  Some day you'll understand.

False.

There’s no hope for Shelton.  But he’s fun to have around nonetheless.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Casimir, I gotta’ ask...

Is there a game today?

Indiana at Ohio State.  Right now.  Gonna check into the DVR shortly.

1 hour ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

I can think of 4 reasons that won't happen:

• Kluber
  • Carasco
  • Mauer
  • Clevinger

You are right though, in 7 months it will be time to determine if the Tigers are perhaps the worst organization in baseball. Right now we may be ahead of Baltimore and Miami. Is there anyone else as bad?

Not sure about Miami.  Do they have contract liabilities like the Tigers?  I think those are factors.

14 minutes ago, Casimir said:

False.

There’s no hope for Shelton.  But he’s fun to have around nonetheless.

He knows all the rules.  We need him.  

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

Indiana at Ohio State.  Right now.  Gonna check into the DVR shortly.

Yikes.  I had the wrong venue and the wrong time.  But the result was right.  So I guess two wrongs can make a right?

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

He knows all the rules.  We need him.  

He knows the technicalities, but he lacks in cache.  He double dips chips, as an example.

The tea leaves are hinting that Harper is in a SF uni opening day.

6 hours ago, 1776 said:

Hold your horses...

7 hours ago, 1776 said:

He’s already publicly sandbagged us through 2021, so I would assume he’s here for at least three years.

6 hours ago, Shelton said:

Because 80% of success is showing up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

Yikes.  I had the wrong venue and the wrong time.  But the result was right.  So I guess two wrongs can make a right?

Ohio and Indiana are both wrongs, and together they do not make any semblance of a right.  I've had to spend a fair amount of time (though as little as I could get away with) in both of them.  At least arguably* the two ugliest and most sorry-*** states in the country.

*I say "at least arguably" only to pretend to have an open mind on the issue.  I've been in almost every state, and they're the worst.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Ohio and Indiana are both wrongs, and together they do not make any semblance of a right.  I've had to spend a fair amount of time (though as little as I could get away with) in both of them.  At least arguably* the two ugliest and most sorry-*** states in the country.

*I say "at least arguably" only to pretend to have an open mind on the issue.  I've been in almost every state, and they're the worst.

I've been in every state except Alaska and would vote for Utah as the least appealing.

23 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Let the record stand that I agree with 6 on an issue. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1776 said:

Casimir, I gotta’ ask...

Is there a game today?

No game, but one of our relief prospects got in a bullpen throwing session.

• Haha 1