Tenacious D

2018-19 Off-season Thread

18 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

serial jaywalker?

Possibly a domestic incident?   Pretty much zero tolerance there these days.

Castellanos and tigers settled at less than 10 million. 

I admit that I am surprised the number is that low. 

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

serial jaywalker?

I heard he questioned the team's commitment to analytics.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

Possibly a domestic incident?   Pretty much zero tolerance there these days.

That discipline is under a different section

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Castellanos and tigers settled at less than 10 million. 

I admit that I am surprised the number is that low. 

$9.95m is a good deal; I think that helps to make him a bit more marketable 

21 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Man, I wish him luck.

Health, plus whatever it takes to make it in MLB...

Even if that means a push into the BP hoping he can replicate the Andrew Miller path...

I'd like to see him with some success... And that's not 100% as a self-interested Tigers' fan...

I’m with you on this one. I’ve been waiting for Norris to find himself for three years now. He and Matt Moore could be a huge upside to this team if they could get their acts together.

14 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I’m with you on this one. I’ve been waiting for Norris to find himself for three years now. He and Matt Moore could be a huge upside to this team if they could get their acts together.

Like Feado, the question for Norris will be answered by the radar gun. The fastball he had when he came over from Toronto was Verlanderesque in its action, but it's been AWOL since the groin injury and surgery. As important as his command and delivery issues are, they won't matter without the good FB for everything else to play off of.

3 hours ago, diaspora04 said:

Is there a verifiable date on the video?

Nothing in the annual pronouncements about Cabrera's spectacular physical condition is verifiable.

Tigers bloggers are going insane about this...but it's a negotiation. I doubt it goes to a hearing.

600K is relative peanuts. If I were the Tigs I would just give it to the arbitrator unless Fulmer's people make a counter offer.

10 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

600K is relative peanuts. If I were the Tigs I would just give it to the arbitrator unless Fulmer's people make a counter offer.

Giving it to an arbitrator is a bad idea, you have to sit there and tell a guy to his face all the reasons he sucks. Better just to settle it somewhere around the middle point. 

17 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Giving it to an arbitrator is a bad idea, you have to sit there and tell a guy to his face all the reasons he sucks. Better just to settle it somewhere around the middle point. 

True.   Biggs hasn't been the same since Shelton took him to an arbitration hearing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kdog said:

Tigers bloggers are going insane about this...but it's a negotiation. I doubt it goes to a hearing.

For real? How do baseball fans still not understand the arbitration process?

51 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Since the rise of analytics I'm sure everyone of these guys knows all too well where he ranks on all the numbers. It seems we don't hear about many arb hearings where the team and player are really far apart anymore either. Maybe that plays into it.

14 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Since the rise of analytics I'm sure everyone of these guys knows all too well where he ranks on all the numbers. It seems we don't hear about many arb hearings where the team and player are really far apart anymore either. Maybe that plays into it.

It still sucks to sit across from someone and hear them say outloud the reasons why you suck. 

I figured thats why few get that far. Most guys are, what, a million bucks apart or lower. It's behooves the teams to go to the midpoint and add a couple hundred grand to the players side just to make everyone happy and avoid the awkwardness.

I get the sense that Chris I is the opposite of his dad.  No love for his teams, no loyalty to his players, no big spend.  If he is capable and hires good people, that can work Ok.  I mean, if you are the Indians and are really good at drafting and developing, you can still be pretty competitive without spending much.

But I expect that isnt the case, and we will probably be below avg. to mediocre at best for a long time, and if his FO can produce a decent product, he probably will not jack up the spending.

I hope I'm wrong about this front office and they can do as well as the Indians, but I really doubt it.

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

For real? How do baseball fans still not understand the arbitration process?

BYB wrote an SEO/clickbaity blog...rogacki and weinberg both had reactionary tweets.

2 hours ago, sabretooth said:

I get the sense that Chris I is the opposite of his dad.  No love for his teams, no loyalty to his players, no big spend.  If he is capable and hires good people, that can work Ok.  I mean, if you are the Indians and are really good at drafting and developing, you can still be pretty competitive without spending much.

But I expect that isnt the case, and we will probably be below avg. to mediocre at best for a long time, and if his FO can produce a decent product, he probably will not jack up the spending.

I hope I'm wrong about this front office and they can do as well as the Indians, but I really doubt it.

I disagree with your take on motivation, the family fortune is more reliant on team performance than almost any owner in pro sports.  He KILLS his business if the Tigers (and Wings) aren't drawing with how much they've bet on "district Detroit".   That is pretty unique....not the case in a KC.....or a Dallas....Cleveland......Minnesota....etc

Even if he doesn't "care" like Mr. I, any objective CEO is going to have almost zero patience for long term failure due to how much it will kill the parallel businesses.  I don't believe he's his dad (pretty darn unique himself) but I think the bet the family has on downtown motivates them certainly more than any other Detroit owner (Ford, Gores) but also more than majority of sports owners.

None of this means they will be successful of course, but motivation won't be lacking IMO.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kdog said:

BYB wrote an SEO/clickbaity blog...rogacki and weinberg both had reactionary tweets.

Wow, this is shameful on the part of BYB