Tenacious D

2018-19 Off-season Thread

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

Sure.  An admin can rename it.  My super powers are limited.

We need to set a good example for Six Hopper.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have no particular target in mind but since we should have alot of payroll flexibility in 2020 and beyond I wouldnt mind them trying to trade for a young player that only has a couple years of control left and then extending him.  I don't know what Yelich's contract was like but basically like what the Brewers did with him.    

I know it goes against conventional wisdom of just collecting prospects and waiting to spend till you're ready to compete but I think it's going to be a buyers market so if you can get some guys in your stable now for relatively cheap I think you should do it.    I just don't think it's necessary to wait till the offseason before you're ready to compete to go looking for guys to sign or trade for. 

47 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I have no particular target in mind but since we should have alot of payroll flexibility in 2020 and beyond I wouldnt mind them trying to trade for a young player that only has a couple years of control left and then extending him.  I don't know what Yelich's contract was like but basically like what the Brewers did with him.    

I know it goes against conventional wisdom of just collecting prospects and waiting to spend till you're ready to compete but I think it's going to be a buyers market so if you can get some guys in your stable now for relatively cheap I think you should do it.    I just don't think it's necessary to wait till the offseason before you're ready to compete to go looking for guys to sign or trade for. 

The problem becomes if we trade for a player like that, now, we are likely giving two of our top five or so guys. 

So then we don't have much of supporting cast now, or in the future for the guy we trade for. So we're just kind of stuck. And yes, if we keep the prospects they might not amount to anything just like the guy we trade for could blow out a knee.

It's all a risk, but to get a good 25 year old is pretty much gonna gut what we've built in the last 18 months.  

If we had a deeper or better farm system, sure. But, this off season is probably still too early dealing for guys (unless of course Trout/Betts/etc demand a trade here)

4 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

The problem becomes if we trade for a player like that, now, we are likely giving two of our top five or so guys. 

So then we don't have much of supporting cast now, or in the future for the guy we trade for. So we're just kind of stuck. And yes, if we keep the prospects they might not amount to anything just like the guy we trade for could blow out a knee.

It's all a risk, but to get a good 25 year old is pretty much gonna gut what we've built in the last 18 months.  

If we had a deeper or better farm system, sure. But, this off season is probably still too early dealing for guys (unless of course Trout/Betts/etc demand a trade here)

True, I'm probably overrating our system and maybe underrating what it would take to get said player.  For example I was thinking that if we packaged say Burrows, W. Castro and a high upside guy that is years away(Meadows, w. Perez etc.) we could get said guy.   I'm probably totally overrating that package though.  

Reading between the lines of Al's comments in the News article today he wants Nick C. to play first and will not extend him but wait until free agency and extend him a  qualifying offer. Seems like the best way to get a reasonable extension rather than now when his agent will want to be paid for the bat without discounting for the glove.

What would a contract for Nick look like in terms of length and dollars on the open market ?

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Avila: No guarantee McCann will be re-signed; Tigers still debating future plans with Castellanos

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/09/29/avila-no-guarantee-mccann-re-signed-tigers-debating-future-plans-castellanos/1475871002/

It's always interesting to read Avila's musings, especially after all the years of total opacity from Dombrowski, but do wonder if it's good idea or not for a GM to discuss plans and players quite as candidly in public as Avila does.

2 hours ago, socaltiger said:

What would a contract for Nick look like in terms of length and dollars on the open market ?

Given the recent information about his fielding range and the fact that he is only a so-so HR hitter, I have a hard time seeing anyone paying a whole lot more than the Tigers are paying him now. I'd guess 7-9 million/yr. If he had learned to play 1b (well) this season and hit 35 hr, a lot more probably.

41 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It's always interesting to read Avila's musings, especially after all the years of total opacity from Dombrowski, but do wonder if it's good idea or not for a GM to discuss plans and players quite as candidly in public as Avila does.

I really don’t think it has much of an effect. He’s not saying anything people inside the game don’t already know. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Avila: No guarantee McCann will be re-signed; Tigers still debating future plans with Castellanos

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/09/29/avila-no-guarantee-mccann-re-signed-tigers-debating-future-plans-castellanos/1475871002/

Hackosky!!!

he really hacks it here, completely missing the point Avila made about JD/Nick/and the luxury tax.  Wow. 

“He’s going into the same situation J.D.(Martinez) was in not too long ago,” Avila said. “With the exception that after next year there’s the possibility of a qualifying offer (which would net the Tigers a draft pick as compensation for losing him in free agency). And in this case, we are not revenue sharing payers. We should be receivers at that point, and that’ll be a whole different situation.”

The Tigers were paying the luxury tax after the 2015 season when the Tigers signed Martinez to a two-year deal. It wouldn’t be as punitive for the Tigers to sign Castellanos to a longer-term deal ahead of free agency.

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Given the recent information about his fielding range and the fact that he is only a so-so HR hitter, I have a hard time seeing anyone paying a whole lot more than the Tigers are paying him now. I'd guess 7-9 million/yr. If he had learned to play 1b (well) this season and hit 35 hr, a lot more probably.

Then that should be Nick’s goal for 2019. 

After the 2019 season ..and given the fact Al Avila openly acknowledged he does not expect the Tigers to compete in 2020 ..it will probably be foolish for the Tigers to extend an $18m+ QO to Castellanos for just one more season.  

Because, ..Nick would most likely accept it ..and it would not help the Tigers rebuild at all.  Then he'd return to FA after 2020 ..and Tigers get nothing.

Can anybody tell me who's eligible for free agency besides Iglesias? (and VMart and Liriano of course)

3 minutes ago, gzbach said:

Can anybody tell me who's eligible for free agency besides Iglesias?

Victor and Liriano and Saltalamacchia.

I think McCann is gone, but don’t think the Tigers see Grenier as the future.  I’d keep him as insurance at AAA and get someone to share time with Hicks.  This team and young pitching staff would benefit from a veteran. Avila, Part III?

18 minutes ago, thefunk said:

James McCann should be gone. He’s worthless. 

someone has to play the games though. Hicks can't throw to 2nd, Greiner is proably a worse hitter than McCann. If James is back it will just be a matter of default.

Gardy is laying the law down.  Avila is with him.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/09/30/detroit-tigers-giving-more-more-than-lip-service-building-systemic-player-development-plan/1480418002/

It may never show up in any historical account of this rebuilding effort by the Tigers, but Oct. 8 could end up being a pivotal date.

On that day, at the club’s Tigertown complex in Lakeland, general manager Al Avila, manager Ron Gardenhire and director of player development David Littlefield will be meeting with the entire minor-league staff.

This will be more than just a routine, season-in-review meeting.

“Our farm director gets it,” Gardenhire said. “David Littlefield understands what needs to be done here. Al has talked about it. Our people have to be better in the minor leagues. They have to be willing to pound these things in or we’re going to find new people.

“He told me that and he’s going to make that point at the meeting. Everybody can be replaced. That’s not the message we want. We just want everybody to get on board with the way we want things taught.”

10 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I hope it's real. Even the good Tiger teams in recent years have won more on pure talent than good execution. I never thought Leyland or Dombrowski thought that kind of 'little stuff' mattered enough to spend much energy on it, but over 162 games just not making stupid mistakes is going to swing as many wins as upgrading a player or two. I think Ausmus cared about it more but had no idea how to change things.

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I hope it's real. Even the good Tiger teams in recent years have won more on pure talent than good execution. I never thought Leyland or Dombrowski thought that kind of 'little stuff' mattered enough to spend much energy on it, but over 162 games just not making stupid mistakes is going to swing as many wins as upgrading a player or two. I think Ausmus cared about it more but had no idea how to change things.

It's not going to matter without the talent.    

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It's not going to matter without the talent.    

absolutely. But when you have the talent and then lose the WS because your pitchers can't pickup a ground ball and throw to 1st, neglect of those little things bites you in the asz big time.

I'm skeptical how much coaches can help guys when it comes to fundamentals this stage in their career.   I remember we got a new coach my Jr. year of High School, he used to get on me because he thought I was slow getting the ball out of my glove when I threw.  I told him I was always taught to make sure I have a 4 seam grip before throwing so I make sure I have that before throwing.  He told me that was unnecessary and just throw it right away.  Long story short I never could do that, I still reverted back to making sure I had a 4 seam grip.   So as a high schooler I couldn't change a habit that I had I don't think a professional baseball player can.

• Like 1